1.    #1  
    I'm wondering about the entries in bold, below.

Do they mean I can, e.g. get a treo and not have to pay for a monthly MEdia package in order to get fast Internet/web/IMAP access?

E.D.G.E. is supposed to support up to 384kbps. But the wireless Internet/WAP access on my current device (an aged Sony Ericsson T61z I want to replace) is pathetic - it's so slow I never use it. (It takes 90 seconds to load the home page - time that comes from my plan minutes.)

I'd also be interested in any way to get EDGE access on my laptop, e.g. by buying an EDGE card/device I'd put by cingular SIM into, or being able to talk to my cellphone over bluetooth or WiFi.

Since I have unlimited free SMS, I've always wondered if I could tunnel TCP/IP traffic over SMS. (I mean I know it's theoretically possible - see IETF RFC 2549 and 1149, but I don't know if anyone's written the software or built the cable/hardware to do it.)
    My cingular account has the following features:
    Monthly Charge
    Text Messaging $0.00
    Basic Voice Mail $0.00
    Cingular Domestic LD $0.00
    Cingular Roam LD $0.00
    $.69 Roam Rate $0.00
    Cingular Direct Bill $0.00
    Wireless Internet $0.00
    EDGE WIRELESS CA ELA $0.00
    Internet Pay Per Use $0.00

Direct Bill Detail $0.00
    Total: $0.00

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by CompuGeek; 11/05/2005 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Thanks.
    E.D.G.E. is supposed to support up to 384kbps.
    EDGE max tehoretical rating is 236KBps (when using 4 timeslots).

But I'm afraid you have two problems

1) The treo is a crappy edge modem

2) AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $US$ $gsm$ $networks$ $are$ $very$ $bad$ $if$ $compared$ $with$ $the$ $EU$ $ones$

I'm in italy and I'm using the edge service since october of the last year, the speed (when using a good cellphone/smartphone) is almost always over 220 KBps.

I'm tried the nokia 6230 (speedy but unstable) the motorola v547 v555 in US (stable but slow) the sierra wireless 775 pcccard (speedy and stable).

Now I'm using the nokia 6630 gsm/edge/umts (almost perfect), an the recently acquired treo 650 (slow and unstable).
  3.    #3  
    I've been using US GSM cellphones for about 8 years now. They don't have the best reception (AMPS) but I don't think they have the worst either (Sprint).

And whether it's 128kbps or 384kbps, I'd be happy with either for wireless access. (The latter figure is from the Wikipedia entry I linked to in my original post.)
    I'd say my current phone is around 300bps (i.e. 0.3 kbps), since it takes over a minute to load a graphics-free web page.

But anyway, the question I'm really hoping someone has info about is the one about costs:
    Does my current account feature list mean I can use EDGE and not have to pay for a monthly MEdia package in order to get fast Internet/web/IMAP access? (And has anymone implemented TCP/IP over SMS?)
    If I get a yes, I'll look into what hardware to get, and I'll remember your advice to avoid the treo.
    I've been using US GSM cell phones for about 8 years now. They don't have the best reception (AMPS) but I don't think they have the worst either (Sprint).

My reference was to the data transport, not to the voice services.

(The latter figure is from the Wikipedia entry I linked to in my original post.)
    Wikipedia is wrong, read this if you want exact data.

http://www.ericsson.com/products/whi..._technical.pdf

But anyway, the question I'm really hoping someone has info about is the one about costsoes my current account feature list mean I can use EDGE and not have to pay for a monthly MEdia package in order to get fast Internet/web/IMAP access?
    I can't help you here, I know the Italian situation, here all are enabled to gprs and/or edge services, and is possible to use data without any "data plan" but if you don't get a data plan the cost is about 6 euro/MB otherwise with some data plans/package the cost is about 20/30 euro/month.

The speed is not affected, only $$ are affected

Maybe the US situation is different