1.    #1  
    I was recently informed by T-Mobile that they will not be carrying the Treo 650 - Ugh! I guess I need to buy an unlocked GSM phone.

What I want is the best deal I can get on the phone without giving up the 1 year warranty. I was once told that if someone other than Palmone unlocks the phone the warranty is void. Is this true?

Either way, what is the best place to buy an unlocked phone -- eBay?

Thanks!
    I bought mine at www.provantage.com, price is around $550.
    Quote Originally Posted by astirrup
    I was recently informed by T-Mobile that they will not be carrying the Treo 650 - Ugh! I guess I need to buy an unlocked GSM phone.

What I want is the best deal I can get on the phone without giving up the 1 year warranty. I was once told that if someone other than Palmone unlocks the phone the warranty is void. Is this true?

Either way, what is the best place to buy an unlocked phone -- eBay?

Thanks!
    IMHO, the money you save over time vs. the other GSM options more than make up for the increased equipment cost (unless there are new Cingular plans that I don't know about). New subscribers can pay $39.95 for 1500 national anytime min and $9.99/mo for unlimited T-Zones Pro. Tough to beat.
    Unlocked/Unbranded GSM Treo 650
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    dude- pick one up one ebay. I got an unlocked cingular model, flashed a new firmware and got rid of all the cingular stuff. I have insurance with tmobile and they said that what ever phone their sim card is in is covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndew
    dude- pick one up one ebay. I got an unlocked cingular model, flashed a new firmware and got rid of all the cingular stuff. I have insurance with tmobile and they said that what ever phone their sim card is in is covered.
    Dont trust the Ebay purchase. Ther has been some purchases made where consumers bought phones that were either reported stolen/lost. Pay the extra cash....dont become a victim.

As far as insurance goes, better get that coverage in writing instead of verbal.
    You never lived until you almost died!
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    I got a new GSM locked Cingular branded 650 with a 1 GB Sandisk Ultra II SD card for 300. I added another 2 GB SD too.

Paid 15 to have it unlocked and use it now with T-Mobile.

I have the regional 3,000 anytime minutes for 49.99 and added 500 text/picture messages for 4.99 and added the unlimited T-Zones for 5.99.

I'm very happy with service and the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndew
    I have insurance with tmobile and they said that what ever phone their sim card is in is covered.
    You're wasting $5.99 a month. Suppose you lose/break your 650. T-Mo's insurance (assurion) is going to perhaps give you a refurbished Treo 600 since they don't stock the 650. I've read reports that Assurion is even running out of refurbed 600s, so you may get some Blackberry p.o.s.

Caveat emptor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize
    I got a new GSM locked Cingular branded 650 with a 1 GB Sandisk Ultra II SD card for 300. I added another 2 GB SD too.

Paid 15 to have it unlocked and use it now with T-Mobile.

I have the regional 3,000 anytime minutes for 49.99 and added 500 text/picture messages for 4.99 and added the unlimited T-Zones for 5.99.

I'm very happy with service and the phone.
    Where did you get your GSM locked Cingular 650?

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    hmm, I'm buying my 650 from NewEgg with the three year warranty.. $640 including two day FedEx.. I trust NewEgg.. I do not trust Ebay.. And I am willing to pay a little more for the warranty.. $670 with a five year warranty..