1.    #1  
    Unbelievable. That is the only way I can describe them!

I purchased one of the first GSM treo 650 units via the palm site and switched to Cingular last February. I have a substantial plan of 2000 minutes and requested the mediaworks service to be included.

I have been using the internet access via the mediaworks package since LAST FEB. with no problems.

This week the intenet access stops and I call Tech Support after my own troubleshooting session. Long story short (after several representatives and many minutes on hold) My media works service package does not cover GPRS internet access!! I have to get a "data package" that has a cost of $60 per month additional!

I am totally confounded by this situation. I can see them doing this at the 12 months time when my contract is to be renewed. I can even see 30 days notice. The tier 3 rep explained that the system "caught up with me" - as if I was doing something wrong - and that I have no choice but to sign up for the data package. UNBELIEVABLE!

My question to all of you - Has this happened to anybody else?

At this time, I have no data service on my treo. Only voice because the 3rd tier rep removed my $19.99 media works service. I am sorting out what to do next. I cannot convey the sense of outrage and shock this has caused. My bill is always paid on time and I have no outstanding balance with cingular at this time.
    I pay $20/month for medianet package since march...works great.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    I too pay $20 a month for medianet unlimited. No issues. I've streamed shoutcast to my phone for an hour, never a billing issue.
    medianet unlimited was $19.99 last time I checked. that's unlimited data. I've had it for 4+ months now
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    I too am using MEdia Net unlimited for $19.99 per month. When the service was set up they added a 5MB data package for $19.99, but I called customer service and was able to switch plans.
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
    The unlimited data connect plan is $39 per month. I'm not sure why the rep. told you it would be $60 per month.

The bottom line is they have every right to do what they did. Cingular makes it pretty clear that Media Net and Media Works plans are not meant for PDA phones. They are meant for phones. I know many people use the plans with their Treos but most know they are doing so against Cingular's policies and may one day get "caught."

Now that doesn't explain why your initial rep. allowed you to activate the Media Works plan with the Treo. That was their mistake and you should be compensated somehow for that error.

I sort of liken it to this.... When the Motorola Razr first came out I bought one. Such an expensive phone I added insurance at the store. Turns out Cingular wasn't offering insurance for the Razr. A few weeks later a got a call from customer service telling me the insurance on my account was being removed. Nothing I could do.
    I think that the key is not letting them know you're using a Treo. I've had a 600 and a 650 now since December of 2003. I've had the MediaWorks Unlimited $19.99 plan since February 2004. Of course, I signed up for it online, and have never mentioned which phone I'm using to a CSR (at least in a conversation involving rates or plans). I don't think that there is any way that Cingular can tell what device you're using simply by your data usage patterns. The funny thing is that even though I bought my 650 directly from Palm, I got the 600 from Cingular themselves!
    bloctek is right.

There's really two ways to get the Media Net or Media Works plan with the Treo.

1. Activate a regular phone with it and then switch the SIM to a Treo.
    2. Find a rep. who is just unaware of Cingular's policies and who'll add it.
    More than likely it's a total error or mistake on Cingular's part and through your conversation with Tech Support he learned you had a Treo 650 and used that as an excuse "system caught up with you." Don't get me wrong, I'm taking your warning seriously and I'm going to keep an eye on my bill and the forums to see if this starts happening as a pattern. There is ALWAYS a possiblity they've decided to and found a way to start kicking smart phone users off of Media Net or Media Works although I belive this is unlikely. At this point I think it's more likely an error with a convenient excuse as I just said. It's very unlikely they'll kick you off for excessive data usage since they sell MobiTV to use on Media Net (on non-smartphones) which is a data hog.

I say try to re-subscribe to Media Net. I don't know if you had the old "Media Works" with unlimited data or Media Net Unlimited. If you had the old Media Works, I don't think there's any chance of getting it back, but I believe that if you try again you might get the "Media Net unlimited" added to your plan (unlimited data $20/month.)

Well over a year ago when they introduced the (former) Media Works unlimited plan (unlimited data, 1500SMS, 200MMS for $20) I signed up two Treos on it with the understanding that it could be 'taken away' at any time. We should all always be prepared for this (being forced on to a $40 plan.)

The Tech support was 100% wrong. $60 Laptop Connect is not the plan that they sell to a Treo, the $40 PDA "Data Connect" plan is the plan for a Treo.

Try calling again and getting Media Net added. Simply call and say to the rep "I want to add Media Net Unlimited" to my plan. If they ASK you what phone you have, say a Motorola V551 or any phone on this page that has a check mark in the Media Net row (preferably one they currently sell.)
    If they say anything about you having a Treo 650, say you recently got a V551 and sold the Treo650. That's all you have to do.

You can also sign up online at:
    https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase
    Get "Media Net Unlimited" NOT Media Works. Media Works is not unlimited data.
    But this is not immediate, it could take 24 hours to get the package added.

You can also find a Cingular corporate owned store (not a value added reseller) and ask the sales people to add it to your account. They might.
    Last edited by taylorh; 10/26/2005 at 03:54 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    How about the web site? I added the (then) 19.95 media works in Feb using the web site.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    How about the web site? I added the (then) 19.95 media works in Feb using the web site.
    If you're referring to adding it as a "feature" on the OLAM (Online account manager,) then you can not add it this way anymore. There are no unlimited data plans at all offered through the OLAM any longer, only the limited bucket plans. The only way to get any unlimited data plan is by calling or the Media Net sign up page that I just linked.
  12.    #12  
    Reading all your postings helps to calm me down. It is not the extra $20 bucks that ticks me off. It is the arbitrary manner in which I was treated and the lack of respect for my time as such technical interruptions impact me in a negative fashion. For example, I am a network admin and if I am disconnected, there are impacts to my customers.

I do recall reading that the mediaworks was unlimited and I note that they capped it off shortly after I "signed up" - I guess we are all customers at the pleasure of the wireless companies. The recent consolidation of so many companies leaves me feeling... vulnerable.

<sarcasm> The FCC is doing a great job of protecting us.</sarcasm>
    Last edited by ghiscott; 10/26/2005 at 04:58 PM.
  13.    #13  
    Doing more research on the cingular site has shown me there are many different data services. There is a pdaconnect and data connect as well as a laptop connect service. The pricing for all of this is not immediately clear which leads me to believe that the pricing is flexible depending upon who you speak with.

Looking at the T-Mobile site, it seems, from the limited view that I have thus far, the $29.99 internet service is all inclusive. It even includes 300 text messages and additional text messages are 1/2 the cost of cingular's.
    (cingulars are $.10 and T-Mob are $.05 )

I would also note that I found several cingular pages with volumnous requirements and limitations. For example, you are not allowed to maintain continuous connections or servers on the data connect services provided by cingular. I guess they have to say it even though most sane people would not consider doing such things.

The bottom line in all of this is as follows:

Some 3rd tier cingular support tech figured out I had the wrong plan and I have since corrected this by getting the PDA connect plan instead of media works (at double the monthly cost) and my treo still only connects to the Internet once after each power cycle. After checking email or browsing a site one time, it will not connect again to the GPRS data system until I powercycle the phone. So much for cingular's contribution to the productivity of the United States!
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    The bottom line is they have every right to do what they did. Cingular makes it pretty clear that Media Net and Media Works plans are not meant for PDA phones. They are meant for phones.
    Can you point me to this? I never knew this was the case, I talked to multiple reps on a number of occasions about adding this to my treo, and have even called for support on it once. No one ever brought up the issue of it being used on a Treo. I generally use 40+mb a month, i think i hit a couple hundred mb on a few occasions.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Can you point me to this? I never knew this was the case, I talked to multiple reps on a number of occasions about adding this to my treo, and have even called for support on it once. No one ever brought up the issue of it being used on a Treo. I generally use 40+mb a month, i think i hit a couple hundred mb on a few occasions.
    Just go to Cingular.com and add the Treo to your cart. Then go to select a data plan for it. You'll never see the Media Net plans come up. Only the Data Connect plans will be available to you for selection.

It's pretty common knowledge at Cingular and I'm surprised to hear that many reps are so mis-informed.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    This page is right off the Media Net page:
    http://www.cingular.com/media/media_legal
    "MEdia Net packages are not available on PDAs, RIM devices, or PC card modems. MEdia Net packages are not intended for tethering. Cingular reserves the right to remove customers from MEdia Net packages for the use of a wireless device as an interface to other devices or networks, as determined by Cingular, including but not limited to device tethering."

Then later in #7 at the bottom:
    "Cingular Wireless reserves the right to terminate your access to the Service or any portion of it at its sole discretion without notice and without limitation, for any reason whatsoever, including but not limited to the unauthorized use of your access number(s) and/or password(s), breach of this Agreement, discontinuance of Cingular Wireless or loss of access to any Information from any of the Information Providers. The Information Processors and Cingular Wireless shall have no liability to you; provided, however, that if the termination is without cause, Cingular Wireless shall refund the prorata portion of any fee which may have been paid by you for the portion of the Service not furnished to you as of the date of such termination."
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by ghiscott
    Doing more research on the cingular site has shown me there are many different data services. There is a pdaconnect and data connect as well as a laptop connect service. The pricing for all of this is not immediately clear which leads me to believe that the pricing is flexible depending upon who you speak with.

Looking at the T-Mobile site, it seems, from the limited view that I have thus far, the $29.99 internet service is all inclusive. It even includes 300 text messages and additional text messages are 1/2 the cost of cingular's.
    (cingulars are $.10 and T-Mob are $.05 )
    You're absoluely right. Cingular does and always has made the data plans extremely confusing. They are not at all clear on what you can and can't do with each of the different data plans and so far as to actully lie to maintain legal control.
    $20 Media net is intended for non-pda phones to access the internet.
    $40 Data connect is intended for PDAs. 'tethering' a laptop is tolerated.
    $60 Laptop Connect (was $80) is intended for laptop modems.
    The terms and conditions of the $40 fobid tethering just as the $20 plan does, but if you talk to SOME Cingular CS reps, they'll say it's ok, others will not. You can actaully get away with it on the $20 plan, and they don't enforce it (but they could if they wanted to.)
    They have a bad marketing message and it's very confusing.

T-Mobile on the other hand has 1 internet plan. $20 as an add on to a phone, or $30 separate without a voice plan. It's the same exact data plan that allows anything you want to do, including use it on a laptop. "Unlimited data, as much as you want, however you want to use it." (quote from the T-Mobile sales guy that set me up with the $30 plan for my laptop card.)

The bottom line is that they want you to use the $60 plan if you're going to use a laptop at all. It's a bit reduculous since you can get EV-DO for the same price on Verizon. At least in a few days this price will include UMTS/HSDPA and bring the level of service up to the price point.

The included text messages on the T-Mobile plan is only for the $30 data (no voice) data plan for laptops. If you add it for $20 to a voice plan you don't get the text messages. It's set up that way because laptop cards can do text messaging and they throw that in as a bonus.

When you click on "data plans" on the front page of the CIngular store, it should show Media Net, Data connect, and laptop connect an CLEARLY explan the differences. Instead they have Media Net totally separate from the data plans in a confusing system of marketing pages.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
  18.    #18  
    In my case, when I purchased the treo650 and signed up (simultaneously) to Cingular, there was no pdaconnect choice. Media works was the only choice and it was unlimited. And I grant that they reserve the right to change things per their agreement language but I would have read the entire thing if it had been emailed to me as a PDF upon joining the cingular herd.

As of yesterday, I still had problems connecting to GPRS data via cingular. I noted that there are others here on TC that have posted with the same problem description. After reading their posts I decided that I had enough of this and would "pull the trigger" and switch to T-Mobile. (I had previously unlocked this Treo650) The T-Mobile business sales group in my area was very accomodating and are going to DHL two new sim chips to my residence.

I called Cingular to cancel. They asked a bunch of questions: Why? Did you call support? What was the resolution? .... The rep. explained that it would be canceled as of the end of my current billing cycle and that I would owe them $150 for early termination. Yes yes yes. Ok! I will pay early termination. (I have lost that much in productivity alone from this situation!) - Late yesterday, the service began to work. Perfectly. Reliably. What a bunch of weasels. This is what happens when a company dominates their market. The concern for individual customers goes in the trash can. Terrible Terry Tate says: That's Old School Rules, Baby!