1.    #1  
    Because I am a light user of voice minutes, I recently switched to T-mo and bought a $100 prepaid card, which should last me a good long time. Unfortunately, I don't appear to have any options for data if I don't have a flat-rate monthly plan.

Could T-Mobile sell me a data plan if they wanted to, or is there something about prepaid accounts that make it impossible to also offer data?

Thanks,

Tracey
    The only prepaid data plan they have is for Sidekick II. I don't know if that would work for Treo. The Sidekick II plan gives you full internet access instead of t-zone. There is a $1 charge each day.
    there is no reason on why t-mo cant sell you a data plan, they just choose not to.

rumors on howardsforum say that they are considering adding such an option.

having both a full fledge account and a prepaid one, I cant wait. but wait we must.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    having both a full fledge account and a prepaid one, I cant wait. but wait we must.
    Why would you want both?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    The only prepaid data plan they have is for Sidekick II. I don't know if that would work for Treo. The Sidekick II plan gives you full internet access instead of t-zone. There is a $1 charge each day.
    The Sidekick plan does not work with the Treo. According to the Data guy I taked with, they can provision it for you, but the system will "discover" that the device is not a Sidekick and undo the change.

It seems that they direct traffic to a particular port based on the device. Once the Treo is detected, it will be directed back to the Treo port instead of the Sidekick port.

If T-zones is included in the prepaid, you may be able to set up a GPRS connection using the T-zones settings.

I learned some of this stuff after I had already signed for the annual plan. So, I did not determine if this works on ToGo. I only have T-Zones on my account and my email and web browsing work fine (though the T-Zone proxy doesn't quite format web pages like plain Blazer). The only data capability I lack is access to my ftp site (using Lftp) becuase that port is blocked on T-Zones.

When I need to access my website, I use CardExportII with the nearest PC and upload that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tstright
    Why would you want both?
    a throw away number.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.