1.    #1  
    hi gang. i have had a 650 on cingular for about 6 months now. i love it, but sometimes i want to carry a smaller phone, so i bought a little sony ericsson off ebay. it's not unlocked, but it's cingular branded. i figured i would be able to just swap the SIM card between the two phones when i wanted to switch. however, when i put my SIM card in the new phone and tried to place a call, the call gets routed to cingular's fraud department. i talked to the people at the fraud department, and they said i can't swap phones like that, because it makes my phone appear to be stolen. anyone had any experience with this? is there a way around it? the cingular people said no, but you know how that goes. it seems absurd to me that they wouldn't let you own two phones and switch between them at will.

thanks,
    ben
    Total BS.

You absolutely should be able to simply swap the SIM card from one phone to another any time you want. I'd call back and try speaking to someone else first and then a supervisor.

However, if the phone is blacklisted you may be out of luck.
    im thinking it may be the phone that is/was stolen and reported to Cingular.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  4.    #4  
    yep, the phone appears to be stolen. i tried using a prepaid "go phone" SIM card with it, and it just kept on routing all calls to the fraud department. i spoke to another person there, and they said the phone is definitely stolen. the IMEI number shows that it was part of a shipment to walmart that never arrived. damn it. i wonder if i'll be able to get my money back. the ebay seller had plenty of transactions and none negative. keeping my fingers crossed.
    On the same subject...

I know I may be mocked, but I hate talking on the treo 600. Whenever I have to make important business calls, I remove the sim card and put it in my motorola so I can feel confident there will be no buzzing, echoing, etc. I hate switching the sim card in and out, and the card itself is showing wear.

I am currently on the AT&T $99 unlimited plan, with an mMode unlimited data plan. In a perfect world, I would like to get a separate sim card to leave it in my Treo for data use only, and leave the original sim card in my motorola for voice only.

Cingular is telling me that my only option is to get another line of service in order to get another sim card specifically for my treo; in essence, taking my data plan from $20 to $70 a month. In doing so, I would also have to drop my unlimited plan and migrate to one of their newer ones, which I suspect is another key motive for them.

Anyone have any ideas to rectify this problem?
    Thanks in advance.
    They are correct eEditor.

Unless you illegally clone your SIM card (which I AM NOT ADVISING) you'd have to activate another SIM in order to keep both devices running all the time.
    Thanks for the info, Igreenberg. Not what I wanted to hear, but at least it's the truth. Have a nice weekend.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Sometimes I'd rather carry my unlocked Moto Razr because it's less bulky than my 650. It is a pain in the *** to switch the SIM.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada
    Sometimes I'd rather carry my unlocked Moto Razr because it's less bulky than my 650. It is a pain in the *** to switch the SIM.
    I do the same: I carry my Razr when I'm out partying so I won't lose my bulky expensive 650.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    I also have a Treo 650 and Motorola V3. I looked at my online Cingular bill and was checking out my extra features and saw that MediNet Unlimited was removed! I called CS, they said that it was automatically removed because my Treo was listed as the phone for this Data plan, they told me I need the PDA Data plan $44.95. I said that my Mot V3 is my primary phone, they said they would get back to me. I hund up and called back, I spoke with a different CS rep. and told her my Mot. V3 is my phone and I don't have the Treo 650 anymore, she reinstated my MediaNet Unlimited Plan...Cingular is getting Slick!
    AT&T Treo 750 (Unlocked) WM6

DrB
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBwell
    I also have a Treo 650 and Motorola V3. I looked at my online Cingular bill and was checking out my extra features and saw that MediNet Unlimited was removed! I called CS, they said that it was automatically removed because my Treo was listed as the phone for this Data plan, they told me I need the PDA Data plan $44.95. I said that my Mot V3 is my primary phone, they said they would get back to me. I hund up and called back, I spoke with a different CS rep. and told her my Mot. V3 is my phone and I don't have the Treo 650 anymore, she reinstated my MediaNet Unlimited Plan...Cingular is getting Slick!
    My Treo is also unlocked. I'll have to check my Cingular bill more closely in the future. I have the $19.95 data plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    They are correct eEditor.

Unless you illegally clone your SIM card (which I AM NOT ADVISING) you'd have to activate another SIM in order to keep both devices running all the time.
    Even that would not work. Only the first one that registered would work. One cannot register the a SIM (i.e., phone number) once. The second one would just knock it off.
    I bought a Treo 650 in Feb and in June I bought an unlocked V551 and have been using both with no problems whatsoever. I have never had billing issues and I have never had issues with service. I bought the V551 from a reputable seller on ebay and have even used my wife's V551 in a pinch. Like I said - never any probs here.

As an aside, I totally recomend having a backup - especially on the road. I keep my V551 and charger tucked away in my suitcase just incase my treo malfunctions. This way, I have my moto charger with me to use in my Plantronics Discovery 640 BT earpiece charger adapter so I can leave the normal charger plugged in at home and I never have to unplug any chargers at home.