1.    #1  
    I bought a 650 in April at the local Cingular store.

Does anyone know if I'm required to keep a data plan on the number that was assigned to it? It was a new activation.
    I'd say no.

The data plan is simply a feature you added. The contract was for your voice plan only. But having a Treo without any sort of data plan wouldn't make much sense.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg

having a Treo without any sort of data plan wouldn't make much sense.
    Yep, that's exactly the point! Cingular's GPRS is so bad here that the Treo is pretty much worthless anyway.

Thanks.
    I'm an AT&T customer and I had my phone replaced under the equipment insurance plan to a cingular branded Treo 650. When I migrate, do I need to sign a new contract even when I have my own phone and didn't get anything subsidized?
    Quote Originally Posted by chompion
    I'm an AT&T customer and I had my phone replaced under the equipment insurance plan to a cingular branded Treo 650. When I migrate, do I need to sign a new contract even when I have my own phone and didn't get anything subsidized?
    I'm no customer service rep, but I don't think so. Since they still have old contracts from ATT still going on, they offer something comparable. However, I think they want you to sign a new one, and from that you won't be hit with a cancellation fee rather than a 'migration fee' of something to the tune of ~35 bucks. When our contracts expired under AT&T, we had to opt for a newer contract due to my family's situation (3 GSM phones, one TDMA phone still under old contract because it's only compatible with my dad's car). But either way when you migrate, you'll pay a fee. Why? Because Cingular wants your money. Bad.