1.    #1  
    I recently purchased a new Cingular-branded Treo 650 and proceeded to unlock it and use it with the T-mobile service. Now, T-mobile doesn't officially support the 650, but after speaking with their customer service, I was assured that any phone that you insert a T-mobile SIM into, is covered under the $6/month plan they provide.

However, when I called back recently, to confirm that I have this plan, the customer service lady emphasized that if "they don't have this phone" they will give me a "comparable replacement". Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like they'll replace my 650 with a 600 if it breaks... after charging me the $110 deductible, that is.

Has anyone had any experience with the T-mobile insurance? Or better yet - does anyone know of an independent service in the US that I could insure my phone with, and know that they will replace it properly if it's damaged, lost or stolen?
    Cell phone insurance from your provider is always going to suck when compared to a Personal Articles policy from a real insurance company. I have renters and auto insurance with State Farm and was able to add a Treo 650 my wifes Moto RAZR and a few other electronic gadgets for $20/year with no deductible. Now, i havent had to use it, and have no idea how fast they will issue a check, but it cant be too bad.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  3.    #3  
    Hmm... unfortunately I have no insurance policies, other than health insurance to my name, but I'll check out the Personal Articles policies if they are available as standalone contracts.
    There are alternatives to the "personal articles" insurance. A quick Google search revealed:

http://www.mobileprotech.com/

Their gold or platinum plan would be good. I think that's what I'm gonna go with.
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matthoward
    There are alternatives to the "personal articles" insurance. A quick Google search revealed:

http://www.mobileprotech.com/

Their gold or platinum plan would be good. I think that's what I'm gonna go with.
    I am actually whipping up a website/company for just this type of thing. The name of it is iSure and it should go live within' a few weeks. It is not insurance per se but a warranty type offering that covers loss. It will be used in conjuction with a stuffbak-like recovery system.
    That looks pretty good. It's too bad we couldn't sign up the Treo as a PDA. the Gold plan is only $53/year for up to $750 vs. $100/year for up to $550 for a wireless phone (it specifically lists Treo and Crackberry). because the Treo would probably be about $600 to replace that equals about a $50 deductible.

Sprints ESRP is $72 a year and also covers warranty issues for life. There is a $50 deductible but that is still less than the Platinum Pkg. The only caveat is you receive a Refurb as a replacement as opposed to buying a brand new one, or even a newer model.

I realize the OP asked about T-mobile, this is a great topic and has been discussed a lot.

Great find on this insurance plan. This is the first I've heard of it.

State Farm used to offer a PAP but according to several posters here at T/C, that now excludes any wireless phones.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    I always like to do a bit of consumer research. Here is some basic info from their website (www.mobileprotech.com/aboutus.cfm):
    -------------------
    The Electronic Equipment Protection Program Buyers Club is administered by Innovative Programs Group (IPG) and brokered by Pro-Mark Professional Marketing and Insurance Services, Inc. The Program is underwritten by an A+ (Bestís rating service) rated insurance carrier.

Based in Los Angeles, California, Mobile Protech is the exclusive internet marketing and distribution agent of the Electronic Equipment Protection Program Buyers Club.

Mobile Protech is a wholly owned subsidiary of Chavando Media Corporation.

-------------------
    Here are some things I wonder about - who is this "A+" rated insurance carrier? I conducted a search of the California Department of Insurance licensing database (www.insurance.ca.gov/docs/FS-Consumer.htm). The only name above that appears in the database is Pro-Mark. For anyone who's interested, here is some of their info from the database:

Name: PRO-MARK PROFESSIONAL MARKETING & INSURANCE SERVICES, INC. License#: 0E16925
    DBA: PRO-MARK PROFESSIONAL ADMINISTRATORS

License type: Fire and Casualty Broker-Agent Status: Active Status Date: 01/09/2004 Exp Date: 10/31/2005
    License type: Life Agent Status: Active Status Date: 10/06/2003 Exp Date: 10/31/2005
    License type: Registered Adminstrator Status: Active Status Date: 11/24/2003 Exp Date: 10/31/2005
    License type: Surplus Lines Broker Status: Active Status Date: 04/23/2004 Exp Date: 10/31/2005
    Business Address: 300 MERIDIAN AVENUE SOUTH PASADENA, CA 91030
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bond Information
    Bond Amount: $50,000 Bond #: SL - 203307
    Surety Co: 10216 - AMERICAN CONTRACTORS INDEMNITY COMPANY
  8.    #8  
    I needed it anyway - so I got myself Renter's insurance, plus Personal Items insurance. The personal items rider only cost $60/year for me, and it provides a $0 deductible coverage for all my portable items, including my musical instruments, laptop, and PDAs. In effect, it cost me less to insure all of my portables than it would to insure just the Treo.
    If you go with a personal articles policy (I have one for my wife's diamond) and you have to make a claim, does it affect premiums for your other connected policies (home, PLUP, cars)? Is it condidered a loss tha tis cumulative with other potential losses? Any insurance guys or gals out there?
    I'm still looking for insurance My home owners policy won't cover it with a rider
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Mobile ProTech is a solid company and the most flexible and reliable when it comes to their policies. Nothing worse then having to beg a company to do what they promised in writing to do and Mobile ProTech gave me no hassles when I made a claim. I also like the fact that there are no deductibles and they honor their policies even if the phone is used
    They don't pay - at least they didn't pay me. I covered my Treo 650 right after I purchased it on Ebay. When it got wet and stopped functioning, I filed a claim on the Mobile ProTech website. It took them 3 weeks and 10 emails to give me the address to send in my phone for examination. After another 10 days, I was told my phone was working. It took them another 10 days to send my phone back to me. Emails are not answered in a prompt manner. No method of contact other than email is offered. Their "coverage" is a waste of time and money. I believe that they stalled paying off because I was close to the end of my contract. I was ready to renew because T-Mobile dropped their support of the 650 and won't cover a phone not sold by them.