1.    #1  
    I have and ulocked Cingular T650 (firmware is update) running T-Mobile. I am experiencing two problems:
    1-the phone is still, but it keeps loosing signal going from 2 -3 bars to no bar and displaying "No Service SOS Only" . All this happen while the phone is not moved at all. Then the signal comes back but this happen often.
    2 - when I loose the signal while moving, it takes a long time to get the signal back, while with other phones Tmobile network is found sooner.
    Any explenation?
    thanks
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    I also have the similar problem in my house but the main problem is t-mobile doesn't have any coverage near my place. I am in the middle of the dead spot so I am thinking about switching carrier.
    That's the problem with TMo, sparse in areas. But as long as my home area is good signal, I will stay with TMo.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    That's the problem with TMo, sparse in areas. But as long as my home area is good signal, I will stay with TMo.
    If it is a problem with Tmobile, 1) why with other cell phones it does not happen? 2) what can I do to prevent it with my Treo 650?
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jerichoweb
    If it is a problem with Tmobile, 1) why with other cell phones it does not happen? 2) what can I do to prevent it with my Treo 650?
    Apparently because of government regulations cellular carriers must allow you to dial 911 if you can get a signal on their network whether you subscribe to their services or are able to roam onto their network or not.

So that means that if you use T-Mobile and your phone can't get a T-Mobile signal or any other signal that T-Mobile roams on, but it can get a Cingular or AT&T Wireless or some other GSM signal then your phone will pick up that signal and display the "SOS only" message... meaning simply that it has a signal, but it's from another service provider and you'll only be able to make an emergency call with it.

The reason ronbo said it was a T-Mobile problem is simply because they probably have the least coverage of any of the big providers, so you're more likely to see this with T-Mobile, but I have gotten it occasionally with my Cingular phone too.

It is a bit unusual that your phone does this intermittantly on it's own unless you have a really poor signal, but you might want to talk to T-Mobile about that.

Brett
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Radio is a funny thing. There can be reflections, multipath distortion, and other effects that can result in things like the signal strength indicator looking like there's enough signal to make a call but in actuality not being able to, or signal strength varying because a plane is flying overhead or a car is passing by. I don't think it's a problem with a carrier per se, but rather, a coverage problem in particular locations.
  7.    #7  
    Thank you for your comments.
    However, I used my Tmobile SIM in 2 different phones at the same spot where my Treo looses the signal and those phones never loose it.
    So my question is: is it a problem with MY Treo (and in that case what should I do?) or do you think it is a issue affectiong ANY Treo 650 more than other phones?

PS in that spot the signal is 2/3 bars with Treo. Other phones show 1/2 bars but they never loose the signal.
    Using the number of bars as an indication of signal strength is, at best, poor. The number of bars are affected to much by a number of factors including variance in the displays used and the maximum number of "bars" available. For example the Treo can only display a max of 4 bars while a Razr can display 5. So is 2 out of 4 on the Treo better than 2 out of 5 on the Razr. Beats me. Fortunately there is a more objective measure of signal strength/quality - RSSI. You can go to Shadowmite's site and get a little app called "SignalMeter" and measure the RSSI at your location.

Be sure and note Shadowmites comment about RSSI on GSM phones. While the screen says the lower the RSSI the better that applies to CDMA phones where it is reported as a negative number. In the GSM world it is reported as a positive number and should have a value higher than the reported Theshold for your phone (the reported threshold for my phone is 6 and I have found that a value above 8 is needed for a stable voice connection). The higest value I have encountered is 21 and any value above 15 is reported as 4 bars. It would be interesting to see what sort of values others find.
  9.    #9  
    Thank you very much, howewer this does not answer my question, any help?

"I used my Tmobile SIM in 2 different phones at the very same spot where my Treo looses the signal and they NEVER LOOSE THE SIGNAL, while the TREO DOES.
    So my question is: is it a problem with MY Treo (and in that case what should I do?) or do you think it is a issue affectiong ANY Treo 650 more than other phones?"
    No, it doesn't but gathering the information can lead to a reasoned answer to your difficulty.

Not all radios are created equal. I am an ardent SWL (shortwave listener) and have three shortwave recievers, a Sony 2010 with custom IF filters, a Radio Shack SW398 (actually a Sangen reciever) and a Drake R8. Now the Drake with 100 foot long wire pulls in by far more signals than the other two but it sits on my desk like a boat anchor. The Sony doesn't pull in as many signals, even when attached to the long wire, but has a very interesting implementation of synchronus carrier which, when used with a very narrow notch filter and on either the USB of LSB has the ability to seperate two very close stations. It also is fairly portable. The Radio Shack is small, portable, and rugged but is also the least sensitive of the lot. That being said any one of the three out perform the nearly $3000 dollar Collins reciever I used in the early 1950s when I was in Army Communications.

So what does measuring the RSSI get you. Well if the RSSI is fairly consistent, but low - say a 7 or 8 on a phone with a threshold of 6 my guess is that the radio is working as it should. On the other hand if you have a RSSI of 10 or more, or if the RSSI was bouncing all over the place I suspect you have a bad unit. If it is any consolation to you I am pretty sure that the Treo, as a radio, has only mediocre performance caracteristics. My Razr certainly out performs it.

All that being said the problem may not be the radio itself, but the radio's antenna. There are reports of some Rube-Goldberg antenna experiments which materially improve the Treo's overall performance. Again see Shadomite's site.
    I have the exact same problem. Let me know if you ever find out what's going on with this. My phone jumps from 3 bars to SOS. Also, I've noticed that trying to use the internet results in a temporary bump in the number of bars. Beats me.

Quote Originally Posted by jerichoweb
    Thank you very much, howewer this does not answer my question, any help?

"I used my Tmobile SIM in 2 different phones at the very same spot where my Treo looses the signal and they NEVER LOOSE THE SIGNAL, while the TREO DOES.
    So my question is: is it a problem with MY Treo (and in that case what should I do?) or do you think it is a issue affectiong ANY Treo 650 more than other phones?"