Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarenceCM3
    yes the sidekick 2 is just a toy as compared to the treo, but when it come to data connectivety, the sidekick is far beyond. i have never seen a page that the treo can download, that the Sidekick 2 could not download, and present better. Sorry the Sidekick2 brower blow the blazer out of the water.

    Well I probably can't change your mind, but here's a few examples...
    https://www.netteller.com/lcnb/?jsredirect=1
    That's my bank. It never worked on the sidekick but works just fine on the Treo so long as I enable cookies. Run the link through your sidekick and selelct "test browser" and see what it sayes. I know they just rescently did an OTA on the sidekick, but I'd still be surprised if that page works on it now.
    Here's another easy example.
    http://mobile.wunderground.com/auto/...matedzoomradar
    This is an animated radar. On the Treo, you can zoom in on it and watch the animated clouds roll by. Not so on the sidekick.
    ......... )oe ............
    Black&White Sidekick,
    Color Sidekick,
    Sidekick 2,
    *Treo 600* AND NEVER LOOKED BACK!!
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarenceCM3
    yes the sidekick 2 is just a toy as compared to the treo, but when it come to data connectivety, the sidekick is far beyond. i have never seen a page that the treo can download, that the Sidekick 2 could not download, and present better. Sorry the Sidekick2 brower blow the blazer out of the water.

    The first site, works great "once you enable java script. The second site shows fine, but the ability to click on location doesn't work. I thin the site was made for PDA with stylus, but you goto a second link to zoom in. So the site is also sidekick compatiable. But here one upper for the sidekick 2. I also browsed the site, while maintain a im connected, and reading the Treo email you sent.
  3. #23  
    ok, that's great for sidekick owners if the latest OTA fixed the javascript problems. Those sites definitly didn't work back when I made the switch. And I agree that the multitasking thing is a great feature that I hope palm will one day implement. To each their own, I guess. I wouldn't trade my treo for anything and I'm hoping my origional t600 holds up long enough until I can get a good price on a Treo700p in the distant future.
    ......... )oe ............
    Black&White Sidekick,
    Color Sidekick,
    Sidekick 2,
    *Treo 600* AND NEVER LOOKED BACK!!
  4. #24  
    T mobile data plan for the treo is not the 19.99 web package I think ot fit under one of their data plan which is a lot more.

    I personally switch from a treo 600 to the sidekick 2, and I'm grealt satisfied. I miss all my cool apps "include the program I developed http://www.middleton.no-ip.org", but believe me the reliablility is worth it.

    I have had my sidekick for around 2 months now, and never had to perform a soft or hard reset "or even turn the device off" I have never missed a call, my Yahoo and Aol instant messengers stay connect 24/7 with no problem, and All my email is sent directly to my device ASAP.

    The sidekick 2 battery totally out last the treo by almost double. Using a instant messenger client alone "using socket" would eat you battery in about 2 -3 hours. I use my instant messenger constantly, and never have to recharge my sidekick. Ofcourse the tmobile back end server take care of all the work, but hey it work reliable.

    I would stick with you sidekick 2 for these reasons.

    Price sidekick data 20 unlimited data, txt, and instant messenger.
    Treo on tmobile, 25- 30 for data "if you don't get caugth with the web package, because a pda is suppose to use data", 14.99 unlimited sms, 19 a year for verichat.

    Reliability, sidekick is a relible as any regular cell phone you can get.
    The treo has many problem that can lead to missed call, data loss, many, many device replacements. I been through 4 treo 300, and three treo 600's in a period of 2 years "I swear"

    Multitasking. The sidekick has spoil me, everything is going on in the back ground with out you interaction, then it alert you when it's done.
    The treo 600-650 is single task, no download web pages in the back ground, and getting alert when it's done, and no receive phone calls when doing any of the following, browsing the web, using instant messenger, or any data task. By no calls I mean all caller will be sent to voice mail with no alert sent to you until you close the data connection.

    Did I mention reliability. I forgot how reliable a cell phone should be while having my treo, I grew a custom to the normal missed calls, resets, data loss, and recovery problem, routinly check treocentral for way to actualy use it properly, I became some a custom to usering treocentral to help solve my treos problem, that even though I sold my treo on ebay I still come to this forum on my sidekick lol.

    But back to the topic at hand, reliability is a lot better with the sidekick for phone, and data, let see anyone contradict this "prove me wrong".

    The person that made the post, what was your decision I want to know.
    Build Systems, Not Products
    <center>All Comments © Copyright Clarence C Middleton 2005-2006, All Rights Reserved<br /> <a href="mailto:ClarenceCM3@gmail.com">ClarenceCM3@gmail.com</a><br /><ahref ="http://www.middleton.ath.cx"><a href="http://www.middleton.ath.cx">http://www.middleton.ath.cx</a><br /><a href="http://www.middleton.ath.cx"><img style="width: 124px; height: 54px;"src="http://www.middleton.ath.cx/photos/middletonlogo.gif" /></a></ahref><center />
  5. #25  
    i dont know much about TMO's data plans on PDAs, i do know the Sidekick data plan is ONLY for the SKs.

    also, i was once a SK1 owner and then a SK2 owner (data plan only) and i carried my cingular cell too. til i discovered the TREO, that is totally personalizable, and way more feature rich than the SK.

    lack of Javascript support on the SK browser was a bummer, i realize they recently updated that. the SK was fun and all, but like you said you couldnt change anything (wallpapers, menus, etc) and all software had to be purchased directly from Tmoney. and there werent any worthwile programs for it anyway, just the same old simple games.

    i did LOVE the AIM application on the SK and the unlimited SMS included in the data plan, i was paying $30/month for my SK data only plan. i now have my Cingular Treo 650 and pay my voice plan fee plus $19.99 for unlimited data, and 9.99 for 1000 SMS. so im paying basically the same thing now as i was with the SK and Cell phone, only now its all in one and the Treo offers so much more than the SK.

    if you are in High school, keep the SK2, if you are older, get a Treo and discover what you have been missing.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  6. #26  
    wow, i cant believe what im reading from you Clarence. Reliability is the last word id descibe the sk with. i was a SK1 owner, and part of the group of SK1 owners that got the SK2 before it was released to the public as a special promo. maybe it was just the first generation(but i know it wasnt cuz i know plenty who have had problems with present sk2s) but i had to send in for a refurb within one month of gettin the sk2. and i baby my phones. and did you say you never had to reset it? i had to reset mine almost daily to reconnect to the network and log me in AIM. does 2 Dot Dance mean anything to you? oh and not to mention the 2-3 days at a time that SK Data would be completely out. making the SK worthless. oh and the phone's reception is horrid on the SK, are you kidding me? drop call drop call. can you hear me? hello? thats all i experience when using the phone on the sk, it got horrible reception. i would be trying to connect a call, when a friend using a cheap nokia right next to me on Tmobile, he would be chatting away and i wouldnt even be able to connect. the phone feature on the SK is horrible and by far the worst i ever owned.

    and if you think im just bashing it, you are wrong, i loved it for a while. and im not only one with all those exact problems. go to the official sk forums, hiptop.com and read all the complaining about the data outages, and how about 70% of the people there have had at least 2 refurbs and many have had over 10. im glad they finally fixed the javascript problem, but that was only one of the many problems. I loved the AIM, nothing beats the AIM on the sk2, but have they fixed the Yahoo! yet? nope, still unstable. have they added MSN yet? not that i know of.can u put your own ringtones, wallpapers, programs on without a developers key? NO.

    SK2=High Schooler's Toy
    Treo=Real PDA
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  7. #27  
    Actually the sidekicks data plan is only 19.99 with a voice plan, including unlimited data, and unlimited sms, and unlimited instant messenger for 19.99 with a voice plan, as compared to 20+ for treo data, and 14.99 for unlimited txt, and I'm are not really covered under their data plan. Tmobile has a seperate instant messenger plan.

    Sidekick problem, omg, I visit the sidekick forum all the time, people don't have all thos problem you talk about. The sidekick is actually very stable. I don't know what the previous poster was using, "but seeing he's a dedicated treo user I wouldn't expect him to do anything else but bash all of smartphones". The sidekick2 reliability record is never in question, the treos is "do to 3rd party apps, ram, and os issues etc'. Show me any proof of the sidekick 2 unreliablness, come on!!!.

    Like I said the sidekick 2 is not a pda replacement. The user was wanting to compare his sidekick 2 with the possiblilty of switching to a treo, and how the price, services, and reliabilty would be affect.

    I was giving a unbias opinion, but this thread has become feeled with sidekick 2 bashing, and the usual treo cheering.

    If a person a has specific needs for a device, you have to suggest the best solution for there needs, "the treo is not the best option is all sistuations"

    Let the "all other" phones bashing , and treo cheerleading continue.
    Build Systems, Not Products
    <center>All Comments © Copyright Clarence C Middleton 2005-2006, All Rights Reserved<br /> <a href="mailto:ClarenceCM3@gmail.com">ClarenceCM3@gmail.com</a><br /><ahref ="http://www.middleton.ath.cx"><a href="http://www.middleton.ath.cx">http://www.middleton.ath.cx</a><br /><a href="http://www.middleton.ath.cx"><img style="width: 124px; height: 54px;"src="http://www.middleton.ath.cx/photos/middletonlogo.gif" /></a></ahref><center />
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarenceCM3
    Actually the sidekicks data plan is only 19.99 with a voice plan, including unlimited data, and unlimited sms, and unlimited instant messenger for 19.99 with a voice plan, as compared to 20+ for treo data, and 14.99 for unlimited txt, and I'm are not really covered under their data plan. Tmobile has a seperate instant messenger plan.
    like i said, i had the Data only plan, no voice. which made the price 29.99. this was because i needed a real phone too, so i still had to carry around my cingular samsung for voice. i couldnt imagine using the SK as the primary phone.


    Sidekick problem, omg, I visit the sidekick forum all the time, people don't have all thos problem you talk about. The sidekick is actually very stable. I don't know what the previous poster was using, "but seeing he's a dedicated treo user I wouldn't expect him to do anything else but bash all of smartphones". The sidekick2 reliability record is never in question, the treos is "do to 3rd party apps, ram, and os issues etc'. Show me any proof of the sidekick 2 unreliablness, come on!!!.
    http://hiptop.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=77
    http://hiptop.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40954
    http://hiptop.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26943
    http://hiptop.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40665
    http://hiptop.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40714
    http://hiptop.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40575
    http://hiptop.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40635
    http://hiptop.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40989

    etc etc etc.

    I was giving a unbias opinion, but this thread has become feeled with sidekick 2 bashing, and the usual treo cheering.
    i already said i wasnt bashing it, i loved it for a long time along with my original Sk1, i had Sks for a long time and was happy. then i realized i was being ripped off with no bluetooth, MMS, MP3, stable Yahoo!, MSN, 3rd party apps......
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  9. #29  
    The links to that thread were funny, people complaining about broken buttons, how can they detect water damages, etc. These were all probably stupid users error, or miss treatment. Number one the sidekick doesn't hard reset lol, the backend server stores all data. These are typical abuse related problems, the majority of sidekick user are not as careful with their devices as treo user. Don't forget the Treo 300 constant flip breaking problem lol. If you abuse it, it will probably break.

    There is probably not a single treo 300 user that didn't receive a replacement becuase of the flip lid. I know friend whom had their original sidekick since the day it was release, and never soft reset, of cut it off.

    As for all the compliant about the sidekick 2, and same problems could be assigned to the treo 300-650.

    The qeustion at hand was the differences in a current sidekick user, who is acustom to the sidekick, switching to a treo. With concerns on price, reliabilty, and user freindlyness.

    He is already a customed to cheap unlimited data "as he say 19.99 a month", relible voice "as he say he loves it". But he is wondering if the treo can replace those functions, and at what price.

    The treo can't do what the sidekick 2 does as well as the sidekick 2 does it ???

    Reliable data, out the box usable browser, instant messenger app, and cheaper price.
    Build Systems, Not Products
    <center>All Comments © Copyright Clarence C Middleton 2005-2006, All Rights Reserved<br /> <a href="mailto:ClarenceCM3@gmail.com">ClarenceCM3@gmail.com</a><br /><ahref ="http://www.middleton.ath.cx"><a href="http://www.middleton.ath.cx">http://www.middleton.ath.cx</a><br /><a href="http://www.middleton.ath.cx"><img style="width: 124px; height: 54px;"src="http://www.middleton.ath.cx/photos/middletonlogo.gif" /></a></ahref><center />
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarenceCM3
    The links to that thread were funny, people complaining about broken buttons, how can they detect water damages, etc. These were all probably stupid users error, or miss treatment. Number one the sidekick doesn't hard reset lol, the backend server stores all data. These are typical abuse related problems, the majority of sidekick user are not as careful with their devices as treo user. Don't forget the Treo 300 constant flip breaking problem lol. If you abuse it, it will probably break.

    There is probably not a single treo 300 user that didn't receive a replacement becuase of the flip lid. I know friend whom had their original sidekick since the day it was release, and never soft reset, of cut it off.

    As for all the compliant about the sidekick 2, and same problems could be assigned to the treo 300-650.

    The qeustion at hand was the differences in a current sidekick user, who is acustom to the sidekick, switching to a treo. With concerns on price, reliabilty, and user freindlyness.

    He is already a customed to cheap unlimited data "as he say 19.99 a month", relible voice "as he say he loves it". But he is wondering if the treo can replace those functions, and at what price.

    The treo can't do what the sidekick 2 does as well as the sidekick 2 does it ???

    Reliable data, out the box usable browser, instant messenger app, and cheaper price.

    how long have you had the Sk2? cuz i was a hiptop user back in 04 and into 05. and ask anyone who has been on those hiptop boards who has been there that long what the two dot dance is. they will all tell you about the data outages. random 3 day periods with nothing but 2 dots and no G. i dont call that reliable. then came the SK2, same problem, plus all of us first gen sk2 owners has peeling keyboards, no backlighting thru certain characters on keyboard due to different paint used on certain sk2s manufatcured. i treated my sk2s like my baby, and my screen just fell off. and i never even just flipped it open, i gently opened it everytime. refurb. all of sudden the icons on the screen would randomly disapear. refurb. everytime i bought something from the catalog, it would randomly disapear. refurb refurb refurb.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  11. #31  
    ditto here... my gf's SKII always has data drops, searching for networks, yadda yadda yadda...
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

    Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

    Twittering about
  12. #32  
    My sidekick/hiptop resume:
    Owner of bwSK since 1st month of release, then cSK, then skII
    Owner/creator of #hiptop on efnet
    Owner/creator of 2 sk/ht websites: skholla.com hiptopinfo.org
    Owner/creator of several webtools (email2ftp, hiptop.com RSS, email2avatar for hiptools.net, etc)
    Top 10 poster and mod @ hiptop.com for years
    Member/user of developer site with key, before devkeys were given out like candy for "rangtonez" and games
    At CTIA to get "the scoop" on SKII while in prototype, and have been to Danger HQ
    Good friends with several "trial" users and developers

    I "upgraded" to the original SK from my old Treo 180. Beautiful device. For multitasking and general data usage (web, email, IM), you TRULY cannot beat the sidekick. I miss being able to start a web page download, chat in AIM/YIM, work on an email, send an SMS, and go back to the page when it's finished loading, then back to the email I was working on, a little more chatting, rinse, repeat, etc et al. The "wide"/horizontal screen view and keyboard were the best.

    What I didn't like were the limits. Limits to how many notes, contacts, SMSs received, web pages that I could view, images I could take and/or leave on the device, where I could get my software from and what software was available, etc.

    So as of last November, I "upgraded" again, this time to the Treo 650. I miss the SK keyboard, horizontal screen, true multitasking, alert "bubbles" that provide a quick view of the sms/email/IM/etc just received. I've tried, fairly successfully to get my Treo to at least where I was with my SK in most of it's respects. IM is ok - Chatopus is alright, and Verichat would ROCK if they'd get rid of the damned popups and frequent crashes. For email, Chatter is THE BOMB. Using my own IMAP server, I have push email that goes beyond what my @tmail.com and 3 POP accts could ever do. The web browsing is tolerable, but can be frustrating if anything happens or goes "wrong" while a page is pulling - multiple SMSs or IMs (Butler took care of the SMS popup, but I never could get rid of the lame Verichat popup), Agendus doing it's daily weather update, etc. So, as I said, I've got my Treo pretty much at my SK expectations.

    ...and then some.

    Using CallFilter, I can block (or any number of other actions) unwanted SMSs/calls. Using CallRec, I have easy/instant voice memos and call recording (great for the whole "yeah, I called TMO, and the rep said..."). I have photos AND videos - even just using memory, blows what the SK could do for photos out of the water. Using any one of my 4G/2G/1G SD cards, even more so. My backup options aren't as admittedly "cool" as the SKs - having all of my data download to a new or hard reset device in about 5 to 10 mins was awesome (that is, if I had a data connection for it to do so). But with bt/cable/internet sync, and RescoBackup for the SD card, I don't worry too much about what I'm "losing" there. And even though I now have a browser that will let me check my bank's site, Splashmoney does it so much quicker and smoother, and has so many more features to it than just "looking at my balance" with the browser. At any given time, I have numerous MP3s and audio books that I listen to with pTunes. And if I get bored with those, streaming Shoutcast stations while driving home from work rocks all. I always have a few episodes of Battlestar Galactica, Rollergirls, and Survivalman to watch. And any TV/movies I'm watching are right where I paused them when I decide to go back to TCPMP.

    And those are just my primaries. The other little things, like being able to VPN in to work while on the go, MMS, faxing, IRC, xterm/ssh, overclocking, custom ROMs, keeping track of my voice/data usage, reading/creating MSOffice/PDF docs, tethering to my laptop at 2 to 3 times the speed of standard dialup using EDGE, etc, are an absolute dream.

    Being able to change my battery... Swapping/charging out 2 OEM and 1 2200 extended battery is so much more fun than worrying about whether or not I have the appropriate charging cable for where I am, as well as a place to plug it in. My choice on whether I use my bt headset, or an earbud, or a dual use set of earphones that will let me listen to my books, watch my movies, or talk into the phone.

    I'm on my 2nd Treo 650. The first one, I bricked with a bad custom ROM and had to send it back - this was before Shadowmite's restore tool was finished. I've since "bricked" many times, but have come back from the dead. I had numerous bwSKs, several cSKs, and was on my 4th skII when I finally decided to "jump the SK ship".

    When something "goes wrong" (no connection, etc), I know who's to blame: T-Mobile. No third pary to play blame tag with. With the SK, TMO would say it was a Danger issue; Danger would say the opposite. T-Mobile no longer controls what I put on my device via a third party "Catalog" - I do. And I have my choice as to where I want to put those apps - RAM, ROM, or SD Card.

    Blah, blah, and blah. I could go on forever on either device; pros, cons, what I liked or didn't like and why. I enjoyed my years with my sidekicks for the most part. Moving from the sidekick was a little frustrating at first, and took a little bit of work, but the work and frustration was worth it (to me).

    Multitasking, Web, Email, IM, slick interface... Go with the SK. Like to get a little more out of your device? Go Treo. PalmONE has a 30day return policy. Order it, use it. Load trials of programs that sound like they do what you might want or need. Ask questions. If you don't like it, return it and say "now I know".

    I started this post with my "sidekick/hiptop resume" just so that you could see where I was coming from. I'm not just some Treo "fanboy". The name "bananachunks" was heavily associated with and well known within the SK community. The device was good and fun while I had it, but eventually didn't do everything I needed and wanted a device to do. For now, the Treo fills that need for me.

    HTH

    ps - I'm not even going to go into the difference between the demographics catered to for each device. I ~DO NOT~ miss hanging out on hiptop holla dot com...
  13. #33  
    so can you answer why Appletech is suck a d***? i never did anything wrong on hiptop and was banned. not that it matters now, but still.

    also do you keep up with the SK world still? whats the SK3 looking like?
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    so can you answer why Appletech is suck a d***? i never did anything wrong on hiptop and was banned. not that it matters now, but still.

    also do you keep up with the SK world still? whats the SK3 looking like?
    No, unfortunately I can't answer that for you. First, because I disagree with you about what he is or isn't. Second, that is between the two of you.

    As far as the SK "world" and SKIII info, I still get to see/hear a lot via #hiptop and friends. My trip to Danger was actually the first day I had my Treo. For skIII info, you can see/read about the latest leaked pics on howardforums.com, hiptopinfo.org, hiptop.com, engadget.com, and pretty much any other tech/news sites at the moment, with my favorite being hiptop3.com

    From the rumors, it sounds as if they're adding a few things, but the only thing that sounds as if it might be semi-confirmed is MP3 playback with miniSD.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by bananachunks
    No, unfortunately I can't answer that for you. First, because I disagree with you about what he is or isn't. Second, that is between the two of you.

    As far as the SK "world" and SKIII info, I still get to see/hear a lot via #hiptop and friends. My trip to Danger was actually the first day I had my Treo. For skIII info, you can see/read about the latest leaked pics on howardforums.com, hiptopinfo.org, hiptop.com, engadget.com, and pretty much any other tech/news sites at the moment, with my favorite being hiptop3.com

    From the rumors, it sounds as if they're adding a few things, but the only thing that sounds as if it might be semi-confirmed is MP3 playback with miniSD.
    yea i actually read that and some other things already, was just wondering if u were going to say anything new. thanks.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by bananachunks
    My sidekick/hiptop resume:
    Owner of bwSK since 1st month of release, then cSK, then skII
    Owner/creator of #hiptop on efnet
    Owner/creator of 2 sk/ht websites: skholla.com hiptopinfo.org
    Owner/creator of several webtools (email2ftp, hiptop.com RSS, email2avatar for hiptools.net, etc)
    Top 10 poster and mod @ hiptop.com for years
    Member/user of developer site with key, before devkeys were given out like candy for "rangtonez" and games
    At CTIA to get "the scoop" on SKII while in prototype, and have been to Danger HQ
    Good friends with several "trial" users and developers

    I "upgraded" to the original SK from my old Treo 180. Beautiful device. For multitasking and general data usage (web, email, IM), you TRULY cannot beat the sidekick. I miss being able to start a web page download, chat in AIM/YIM, work on an email, send an SMS, and go back to the page when it's finished loading, then back to the email I was working on, a little more chatting, rinse, repeat, etc et al. The "wide"/horizontal screen view and keyboard were the best.

    What I didn't like were the limits. Limits to how many notes, contacts, SMSs received, web pages that I could view, images I could take and/or leave on the device, where I could get my software from and what software was available, etc.

    So as of last November, I "upgraded" again, this time to the Treo 650. I miss the SK keyboard, horizontal screen, true multitasking, alert "bubbles" that provide a quick view of the sms/email/IM/etc just received. I've tried, fairly successfully to get my Treo to at least where I was with my SK in most of it's respects. IM is ok - Chatopus is alright, and Verichat would ROCK if they'd get rid of the damned popups and frequent crashes. For email, Chatter is THE BOMB. Using my own IMAP server, I have push email that goes beyond what my @tmail.com and 3 POP accts could ever do. The web browsing is tolerable, but can be frustrating if anything happens or goes "wrong" while a page is pulling - multiple SMSs or IMs (Butler took care of the SMS popup, but I never could get rid of the lame Verichat popup), Agendus doing it's daily weather update, etc. So, as I said, I've got my Treo pretty much at my SK expectations.

    ...and then some.

    Using CallFilter, I can block (or any number of other actions) unwanted SMSs/calls. Using CallRec, I have easy/instant voice memos and call recording (great for the whole "yeah, I called TMO, and the rep said..."). I have photos AND videos - even just using memory, blows what the SK could do for photos out of the water. Using any one of my 4G/2G/1G SD cards, even more so. My backup options aren't as admittedly "cool" as the SKs - having all of my data download to a new or hard reset device in about 5 to 10 mins was awesome (that is, if I had a data connection for it to do so). But with bt/cable/internet sync, and RescoBackup for the SD card, I don't worry too much about what I'm "losing" there. And even though I now have a browser that will let me check my bank's site, Splashmoney does it so much quicker and smoother, and has so many more features to it than just "looking at my balance" with the browser. At any given time, I have numerous MP3s and audio books that I listen to with pTunes. And if I get bored with those, streaming Shoutcast stations while driving home from work rocks all. I always have a few episodes of Battlestar Galactica, Rollergirls, and Survivalman to watch. And any TV/movies I'm watching are right where I paused them when I decide to go back to TCPMP.

    And those are just my primaries. The other little things, like being able to VPN in to work while on the go, MMS, faxing, IRC, xterm/ssh, overclocking, custom ROMs, keeping track of my voice/data usage, reading/creating MSOffice/PDF docs, tethering to my laptop at 2 to 3 times the speed of standard dialup using EDGE, etc, are an absolute dream.

    Being able to change my battery... Swapping/charging out 2 OEM and 1 2200 extended battery is so much more fun than worrying about whether or not I have the appropriate charging cable for where I am, as well as a place to plug it in. My choice on whether I use my bt headset, or an earbud, or a dual use set of earphones that will let me listen to my books, watch my movies, or talk into the phone.

    I'm on my 2nd Treo 650. The first one, I bricked with a bad custom ROM and had to send it back - this was before Shadowmite's restore tool was finished. I've since "bricked" many times, but have come back from the dead. I had numerous bwSKs, several cSKs, and was on my 4th skII when I finally decided to "jump the SK ship".

    When something "goes wrong" (no connection, etc), I know who's to blame: T-Mobile. No third pary to play blame tag with. With the SK, TMO would say it was a Danger issue; Danger would say the opposite. T-Mobile no longer controls what I put on my device via a third party "Catalog" - I do. And I have my choice as to where I want to put those apps - RAM, ROM, or SD Card.

    Blah, blah, and blah. I could go on forever on either device; pros, cons, what I liked or didn't like and why. I enjoyed my years with my sidekicks for the most part. Moving from the sidekick was a little frustrating at first, and took a little bit of work, but the work and frustration was worth it (to me).

    Multitasking, Web, Email, IM, slick interface... Go with the SK. Like to get a little more out of your device? Go Treo. PalmONE has a 30day return policy. Order it, use it. Load trials of programs that sound like they do what you might want or need. Ask questions. If you don't like it, return it and say "now I know".

    I started this post with my "sidekick/hiptop resume" just so that you could see where I was coming from. I'm not just some Treo "fanboy". The name "bananachunks" was heavily associated with and well known within the SK community. The device was good and fun while I had it, but eventually didn't do everything I needed and wanted a device to do. For now, the Treo fills that need for me.

    HTH

    ps - I'm not even going to go into the difference between the demographics catered to for each device. I ~DO NOT~ miss hanging out on hiptop holla dot com...

    Now this is what I'm talking about. A Fair and unbiased comparison of both device. You made the best choice for your needs, and outlined the benefit of both device, and now the poster "or other readers" can make a clear informed Decision. Where were you at like 20 posts ago?

    There was not Treo or Sidekick Bashing, just the fact, I like that. Thanks. No if only all of Treo central could be like that.

    This is TreoCentral, but every recommendation doesn't have to be totally bias toward the Treo.
  17. #37  
    I have been reading this forum and a few others and this is what I have discovered. I am a newbie and if I am wrong on this, please let me know.

    You wont be able to run AIM like you would on sidekick. You can't access websites like you can on SK, and the Treo is basically more for application running over hardcore instant messaging and instant email.

    From what Ive read, the Treo is a bit less stable than the sidekick and you may have to back up your files and do restarts sometimes. You will have to load a lot of programs and applications to get your treo working like it should.

    I heard that toccer was a good program for AIM and it mimics it well, but it's not the same.

    To me the Treo is like that Mercedes-Benz you've always wanted. It's gonna break down, and you may spend a lot to maintain it. The Sidekick is like a toyota/honda. It is reliable, it will last, and it always starts...but you don't have the status that you would with the Benz.

    The bottom line is. If you simply want to browse the internet...get you email instantly (even from the actual sites like yahoo mail, hotmail...etc..) and crush on Instant Messenger services, then the Sidekick II is for you. If you are a true POWER user, with applications, ability to customize...then the Treo is for you.

    I switched because all I wanted was the ability to do all things in one device. I used to have an SKII and the RAZR to make calls (I DONT like using the SKII as a phone). I am NOT a pawer user, and I do have some regrets. But I love the look and feel of the Treo. I know the sidekick is like a toy...but the toy does its job WELL! You can call me Paris Hilton if you want....But I dont feel like paying for my device....the literally hundreds of dollars, trying and failing with different applications..just to come CLOSE to the connectivity of the SKII.

    The Treo is an acquired taste. I know a lot of people join this forum to get info about switching devices. All I can say is make sure you do your research before you switch. Oh yeah, when you get your Treo....hold on to the SK in case you might want to switch back. It isn't for everyone.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by onyxxxpixixx
    You wont be able to run AIM like you would on sidekick.
    Not true. With Verichat, I was AIM/YIMing just as well as I did with the SK. It runs in the background, has autoreconnect, and it even has file transfer. Everything the SK did for AIM, plus some.

    Quote Originally Posted by onyxxxpixixx
    You can't access websites like you can on SK
    Not true. Just like the SK (and any other browser for that matter), you enter in a website's URL, and *poof* a webpage appears Alas, unlike the SK, you cannot enter in the URL, leave and do something else, and expect the webpage to be waiting for you all nice and pretty when you go back to the browser. This is one part I miss. And the Danger Proxie everything runs thru for the SK is great. Pretty much puts the SK at almost the same speed I can pull up non-proxied pages with on my Treo with EDGE.

    Quote Originally Posted by onyxxxpixixx
    the Treo is basically more for application running over hardcore instant messaging and instant email.
    Everything the SK does, it does pretty damn well. But the "everything" that it does, is pretty much it. Once you get out of the realm of IM/SMS/WEB/EMAIL, forget about it with the SK, at least until people want the other stuff enough for the developers to want to cater to it. And then hope that Danger adds it to the catalog. And THEN hope that [insert carrier here] allows it to STAY in the catalog. But with the current demographics being catered to by Danger and the carriers, hopefully you're not going to want much more than games, MP3s, and rangtonez. I use my Treo for everything I used my sidekick(s) for. And then some. With a HUGE amount of use going towards email/sms/IM.

    Quote Originally Posted by onyxxxpixixx
    From what Ive read, the Treo is a bit less stable than the sidekick
    Yes, I've had more resets with my Treo than I ever did with my SK, but the SK did reset, both soft and hard, too. And whereas I currently will have the occassional random reset, I don't have that nagging fear, like I did with my sidekick(s), that at any given time the phone's screen will screw up, will stop connecting to the network, keyboard or keys will stop working, backlight and/or keyboard light, or just stop working in general. I've been thru many sidekicks, and I /babied/ mine. I know that Treos have had their fair share of such things happening, but it just doesn't seem like it's happened as much and as often in the relative time periods.

    Quote Originally Posted by onyxxxpixixx
    and you may have to back up your files and do restarts sometimes.
    The SK backs up all of it's data automagically. This was a pretty nifty feature. Came in very handy everytime I had to warranty out my device. New SK, put SIM in, turn on, and *poof* a few minutes later it was like nothing ever happened. VERY nice. For the Treo, it does do a backup everytime I sync, and I also perform scheduled backups using Resco Backup. Not as slick, but works for me. As far as restarts (resets), I have performed resets just as much on my SK to get it "going" again as I have the Treo. In fact, for a little while there, it was common practice for a lot of users (via hiptop.com) to perform a warm reset daily (or powercycle), just to kind of "clear things out" for a bit. Rediculous, if you ask me.

    Quote Originally Posted by onyxxxpixixx
    You will have to load a lot of programs and applications to get your treo working like it should.
    Nope. Works like it /should/ right out of the box. To get it working like /you WANT it to/? Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by onyxxxpixixx
    To me the Treo is like that Mercedes-Benz you've always wanted. It's gonna break down, and you may spend a lot to maintain it. The Sidekick is like a toyota/honda. It is reliable, it will last, and it always starts...but you don't have the status that you would with the Benz.
    Disagree. You may or may not choose to spend some money to /accessorize/ (both software and accessories) the Treo, but it doesn't take any more to "maintain" it. But the ABILITY to accessorize, to be able to purchase software that does what I want it to do, to be able to purchase bt headsets, extra batteries, car kits, charge/sync cables, what-have-you... Just that ability alone makes the Treo more "valuable" to me. And the Treo has no more "status" in its circles than the SK does in its own.

    Quote Originally Posted by onyxxxpixixx
    If you simply want to browse the internet...get you email instantly (even from the actual sites like yahoo mail, hotmail...etc..) and crush on Instant Messenger services, then the Sidekick II is for you. If you are a true POWER user, with applications, ability to customize...then the Treo is for you.
    I'll go with you, mostly, on this. For users that just want email/IM/WEB; that want just what comes in the box, go SK. Anything more, go Treo.

    Quote Originally Posted by onyxxxpixixx
    I DONT like using the SKII as a phone
    Used all of mine for years as my only phone; no landline. Was MUCH better with the skII, between shape, connection, and ringing (earlier SKs had many problems with not ringing, just showing that you'd missed a call (if even that) and then a voicemail).

    Quote Originally Posted by onyxxxpixixx
    But I dont feel like paying for my device....the literally hundreds of dollars, trying and failing with different applications..just to come CLOSE to the connectivity of the SKII.
    Most applications have MORE than ample trial periods. You should only have to pay for what works for you, or what you like.

    Quote Originally Posted by onyxxxpixixx
    The Treo is an acquired taste. I know a lot of people join this forum to get info about switching devices. All I can say is make sure you do your research before you switch. Oh yeah, when you get your Treo....hold on to the SK in case you might want to switch back. It isn't for everyone.
    There does seem to be more of a learning/using curve to it. But that's what one gets when their hand's not being held anymore. SKs are nice and simple, slick, and work pretty well right out of the box. But if you want to do any more than what it already does, or you want to do it differently, forget it. I like both devices. They both have their pros and cons. I just happen to currently like the Treo more. Not because it does what the SK does any better, but because of what it can do that the SK can't. And that's my personal choice. For now.
  19. #39  
    As a long time treo power, " super power" user. I have to say that the treo is a great device. Like a top of the line computer. But the proble with the newest/lastest stuff they come with problems. The treo is very problematic. The user interface for the treo is unrobust, and differs with what software you use.

    With the treo you have the ability to add software "<start plug> including the backup program I created <end plug>" , but honestly a lot of thre treo software are create to solve the treo problems, or give it the functionality of cheaper device. I felt stupid, when my wifes nokia, that I receive from sprint for free "for adding a second line" had built in mp3 ringtone "that vibrated to the beat", a better camera, and much much better voice qualtiy, and signal. You could find that phone on ebay for around 40 bucks. I had to spend a lot of time and money to get my treo to play a single ringtone.
    Pocket tune 36, ringtone software 10-20, sd card "to hold 10 ringtone" 10-20 bucks, software to rip mp3 to sample you want 10-20, time to learn all this and implement it yourself priceless lol.

    Number one thing is, out the box "honeslty", the treo is totally lacking. If it wasn't for treo central a lot of peoples treo would be blend and empty.

    The average user doesn't have time to search, read, and post to treo central, to get a 600 dollar phone to do what a 99 dollar phone does out of the box.

    This is something no is mentioning PRICE.
    Sidekick 2 brand new 240 "with out rebates"
    Comes included with yahoo, aol instant messenger. True push email, office apps "cal, task, contact notes", multimedia ringtones, web browser, dedicated backup solution, free web interface to all you data "email, pic, calender, task, etc" 10 buck for intelli sync" reliability.
    Data plan 19.99 unlimited data, instant messaging, and sms with a voice plan 30 without.
    250 initail startup, 19.99 a month for all data.

    Treo 650 600 Brand new "with out rebates"
    Come included with office app "calendar, task, notes, memo etc". Pop email app "that sucked" voice recorder.
    You need "check any must have apps thread"
    Volume care.
    Ringtone manager, media player, Launcher, reset phone, instant messenger, better email, sd card, this list goes on "free and paid apps" but most importantly, you need the time and will to find out what you need, and the patience to apply you solution.
    The averge treo user will spend around 50-100 on third part apps, and spent hours, searching, reading, downloading, and tweaking application, and the phone it self.
    Data plan for the treo start at around 20-29 amongst the carrier, not include includeong unlimited sms, which is 14.99 average per carrier. Honestly instant messenger, and modem apps volate you terms of service and could be stoped at anytime.
    Average 35- 40 a month for tre data.
    Now 250 intial startup, 20 a month

    700++ initial start up 40 a month.

    The sidekick will average to about 1/3 the treo start up price "accessories etc", about 1/4 of the maintianance "screen protects, expensive cases, stylus etc,
    And around half the monthly cost with a voice plan "depending on carrier". And 1/10 the time and energy to get the functions you need lol.

    Just my opinion.
    Build Systems, Not Products
    <center>All Comments © Copyright Clarence C Middleton 2005-2006, All Rights Reserved<br /> <a href="mailto:ClarenceCM3@gmail.com">ClarenceCM3@gmail.com</a><br /><ahref ="http://www.middleton.ath.cx"><a href="http://www.middleton.ath.cx">http://www.middleton.ath.cx</a><br /><a href="http://www.middleton.ath.cx"><img style="width: 124px; height: 54px;"src="http://www.middleton.ath.cx/photos/middletonlogo.gif" /></a></ahref><center />
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions