Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Use wap.cingular unless you need pptp vpn. It's foolproof from a billing standpoint if you're using MEdiaWorks or MEdiaNet plans. The isp.cingular apn is dangerous...

Todd/Indy
    Thanks in large part to taylorh's clarifying responses, I switched over to unlimited MediaNet and it's working perfectly. Appreciate the input.
    Looks like I'm a trouble maker
    I called yesterday and asked how much unlimited internet is for my Treo 650. The lady told me $20 a month and didn't even mention the $40 a month PDA plan. I even asked her about it and she said all I needed was the $20 plan. The promotion is unlimited data for a month on media net when you sign up for any plan. So I signed up for the 1MB plan and will switch to unlimited next month. I took plenty of screenshots of their offer to prepare for any trouble they might give me.

Anyway, I was poking around the legal notices on their site and found this gem:

MEdia Net
    MEdia Net is not equivalent to landline Internet. Only select sites accessible through a mobile connection are available. You are restricted from using a home page other than the Cingular home page. MEdia Net is billed by total volume data sent and received (in kilobytes). Fractions of a kilobyte MEdia Net sessions are rounded up to whole kilobytes. Kilobyte totals may include network overhead. If you switch your phone connection from GPRS to a Circuit-Switch Data connection, you will be billed airtime in one-minute increments as provided by your rate plan. Caller ID blocking is not available when using MEdia Net, and your wireless number is transmitted to Internet sites you visit. Cingular provides connectivity for access to MEdia Net. Information is provided by unaffiliated content providers and is subject to change at any time without notice. MEdia Net packages are not available on PDAs, RIM devices, or PC card modems. MEdia Net packages are not intended for tethering. Cingular reserves the right to remove customers from MEdia Net packages for the use of a wireless device as an interface to other devices or networks, as determined by Cingular, including but not limited to device tethering.

MEdia Bundles
    MEdia bundles are not available on PDAs, RIM devices, or PC card modems. 30% savings on MEdia bundles based on stand-alone package comparison.

I find it interesting that MediaNet is what is offered to satisfy the demands of the mobile television service, and that some reps offer it, and some reps don't. I personally am going to keep it until they take me off of it. Since there is so much disinformation out there I will choose to believe the representitive who signed me up for it.

Cingular really needs to figure out their plans and offers and make it clear to their reps what is what.
    So in summation, here are reasons to believe that medianet can be used on a treo650, incase you ever have to talk to a rep:
    -wap.cingular and the medianet connection is automatically programmed into your phone
    -the rep actually signed you up
    -cingular officially suggests medianet for services like mobitv (going against their own T&C's that only their webpage can be accessed) (http://www.mobitv.com/support/cingular.html)
    -It is nowhere clearly stated on their website that it can not be used on PDA's (only if you dig into the legal stuff, which will never override the clear advertising given to the customer).
    -Customer experience. Many customers have been using mediaNet without problems on their treos for various purposes.
    -With streaming video apps for phones now, there is an argument that any phone could use as much or more data than a treo, leading to unfair prices for the pda plan depending on usage.
    -With Data connect $80, Data Connect with voice $25, PDA connect $40, MediaNet $20 it is far too confusing for anyone to really know which plan they should be using. What is Data Connect with voice?! There is also apparently a name change which has taken place and further plans of $45 and $40 for data connect unlimited with or without voice.
    -"in the past the Media Net package was in fact sold with the Treo by Cingular. So there are at least thousands of treo owners out there that were sold Media Net unlimited with their Treo legitimately."
    -it is Cingular's responsibility to control access and usage on their network, not yours. If Cingular knows that you have a Treo 650, and they agree to connect you with the $19.99 MediaNet plan, they cannot "audit" you or prorate you for excess data fees.
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-i-am
    So I signed up for the 1MB plan and will switch to unlimited next month.
    I think it's the exact opposite. It's unlimited (promo) for the first month, then it switches to 1 MB per mon. You signed up for the 1MB plan but they give you the first month unlimited. So you need to sign up for Media net unlimited to keep unlimited data every month.
    EDIT: I think I understand now. You meant you signed up for 1MB (to get promo unlim. Free, then you'll change you plan to unlim next month?)

And yeah, it's interesting that the acceptable use, how they sell the plans, and what reps tell you contradict the terms and conditions which is buried in fine print.
    The T&C had not always read like this. They change this text once or twice a year and did not used to include some of those restrictions. In any case I think it reads like this for the sole purpose of having the legal right to boot someone from the plan when and if they ever need to, which might be never. It's a CYA thing. The message is really to just not abuse it.
    Last edited by taylorh; 09/22/2005 at 01:08 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    EDIT: I think I understand now. You meant you signed up for 1MB (to get promo unlim. Free, then you'll change you plan to unlim next month?)

Right. I figured, and the rep agreed, that there is no sense in paying for unlimited the first month if even the 1mb plan is unlimited. So I will upgrade in 1 month to the actual unlimited plan.
    I just received my second Cingular bill and have $83 of Internet Pay Per Use charges although I am paying $19.99/month for MediaNet Unlimited. Anyone else have this problem and can they explain to me why the hell I'm being charged pay per use when I have an unlimited data plan? I've only been a Cingular customer for 45 days now and I already hate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by dari10
    I just received my second Cingular bill and have $83 of Internet Pay Per Use charges although I am paying $19.99/month for MediaNet Unlimited. Anyone else have this problem and can they explain to me why the hell I'm being charged pay per use when I have an unlimited data plan? I've only been a Cingular customer for 45 days now and I already hate them.
    Clearly they made a mistake setting up your Media Net Unlimited. They probabally left internet pay per use on your account in addition to unlimited and it screwed up the billing.
    You'll need to call and ask them to correct the billing error and fix your unlimited data plan.
    No need to necessarily hate them. I had snags when I first signed up, but once I got those fixed it's been pretty good ever since.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Clearly they made a mistake setting up your Media Net Unlimited. They probabally left internet pay per use on your account in addition to unlimited and it screwed up the billing.
    You'll need to call and ask them to correct the billing error and fix your unlimited data plan.
    No need to necessarily hate them. I had snags when I first signed up, but once I got those fixed it's been pretty good ever since.
    Thanks for the explanation. Honestly, I've had nothing but problems with Cingular since I switched service but hopefully this won't be a continued experience.
    Just a tip. When you call don't volunteer that you're using a Treo or they may say some blah blah blah excuse about it Media Works not being compatible with Treo (which is false and has nothing to do with the error.) Not sure that would even happen, just avoid the subject.
    Last edited by taylorh; 09/25/2005 at 08:02 PM.
    Is there any legitimate way to have Cingular switch you to the MediaNet plan from the DataConnect plan? I added DataConnect 5MB to my service when I got the Treo (and renewed service for 24 months). It's the same price (19.99) as MediaNet Unlimited. I'm actually thinking of dropping it and doing MediaNet pay per use until I see what my data usage is like for a month or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer
    Is there any legitimate way to have Cingular switch you to the MediaNet plan from the DataConnect plan? I added DataConnect 5MB to my service when I got the Treo (and renewed service for 24 months). It's the same price (19.99) as MediaNet Unlimited. I'm actually thinking of dropping it and doing MediaNet pay per use until I see what my data usage is like for a month or so.
    You bet. The easiest and most hassle free way to do it is online. Create an online account on Cingular (if you don't already have one), drop the plan you have and add medianet unlimited. You probably won't see it on your feature page, but it can be found
    here Those cheeky devils have it hidden away, but it's there. Very easy to purchase, works great with the 650 and no additional data charges. If you need more help, please feel free to ask.
    David
    Just a follow up. I called Cingular. I asked them to drop my DataConnect 5 MB plan and add the MediaNet Unlimited (same price). They switched me without hesitation. Maybe they got the message? The guy in the store who sold me the phone/plan was not so kind.
    I just used that online form to add unlimited MediaNet to my 650... I had been wondering about the different plans for several months, and this thread cleared this up perfectly. I just wanted to thank everyone for all of the great information here!

Quick question...
    If you use pay per use in a billing cycle before you enact the plan, will the plan take away any pay per use charges? The website said that the order will take 72 hours to go through, but I want to start playing with it now. :-)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123