Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hoping someone can help. I bought a brand new TREO650 on ebay that was advertised as a Cingular phone. It came as advertised New in BOx and I appeared to be the first to violate the plastic wrap as I tore into it for my new prize. It has all the cingular markings and logos when you start it up.

I took the box to a Cingular Store, and they tried several SIM cards only to get the same message every time the phone starts up. "SIM Card not allowed", "Your phone cannot be used with this Sim Card". The girl tried telling me it was acting like another brand phone like an ATT phone would if you put a Cingular Sim in it. They reject.

Called Cingular service...can't help...referred to P1....not in on Saturday night.

I tried searching Palmone.com and didn't get satisfaction even when searching with these exact phrases. I did look at which software version my phone is using and it is 1.04-CNB and it appears a cingular phone uses 1.04-CNG. the B is supposedly for phones previously under Att now cingular.

Anyone know for sure? Could the new upgrade patch possibly fix this?
    Or is this somehow marked a cingular phone with another carrier lock?

thanks, I am very frustrated....
    Hi, I had the same issue when I bought my phone from ebay, it was in a cingular box but had the CNB firmware. I called up tech support and told them I was getting the "Sim card not allowed error" and they gave me the unlock code for my phone.
  3.    #3  
    Wow, thanks. Do you still use it with Cingular? Do all their functions work properly? I was told voicemail, call waiting and some others may not function correctly if it were to be unlocked.

Did you tell them you bought it on Ebay?

Thanks,
  4.    #4  
    tomchan, thanks for the PM. I spent all morning on the phone and Cing reps tell me it is from the wrong area of the country and won't work here even if unlocked. I pushed them on this asking how a phone could work anywhere once activated then. They stuck to their guns saying even if I unlock this phone it will not work...
    Quote Originally Posted by tj$bags
    tomchan, thanks for the PM. I spent all morning on the phone and Cing reps tell me it is from the wrong area of the country and won't work here even if unlocked. I pushed them on this asking how a phone could work anywhere once activated then. They stuck to their guns saying even if I unlock this phone it will not work...
    That does NOT make sense because the Treo 650 is a QUAD BAND GSM Phone, so anywhere on the PLANET EARTH should WORK.
  6.    #6  
    I got it from 2 reps today.. I called two different numbers from here too. 866-246-4852, then 800-331-0500. Second one more freindly, but still same answer. The guy I bought it from on Ebay says he'll take it back, but I hate to go reward Cing lieing to me and go buy one from them. I am going to try and unlock it with unlockcellular.com's remote unlocking. Though I am now pissed at them too. It describes their process as one that communicates through the internet and gives you your codes. After buying the $30 credit, they have to email you a password to run the software....but it could take 2-5 days...whatever....anyone ever heard of automation? I hate staring at all that cash sitting there not doing anything...yikes

What they are saying is that the phones are locked regionally too, and that even if I unlock it, it still won't work with a local Sim....I think they are liars...I want to find out now.
  7.    #7  
    HELLo....Cingular is a pack of LIARS>>>

Got my treo 650 unlocked at unlockcellular.com for $29.95 via remote application. didn't need any special equipment. Just followed directions EXPLICITLY. and VOILLA!!
    Once unlocked...it immediately picked up the Cingy towers and communicates beautifully. Liars told me even if unlocked it wouldn't work due to some regional locking crud...

Awesome deal....go to unlockcellular.com, buy a credit for $29.95, SPECIAL DEAL....they will give YOU $5 off, upon checkout, if you mention "TreoCentral", and my email "timothy.sanderson@worldnet.att.net" .

I did not get the $5 off, but I am just ecstatic that it worked!!!

Don't buy the junk they feed you at CS....Get unlocked and save yourself some frustration....The $30 was WAY worth paying to avoid the confrontation on the phone and arguing with these people.

Do it the easy way...unlockcellular.com...TREOCENTRAL.....and my email above...
    I knew it. Thanks for the info, since i WILL be switching to TMOBILE in the next 2 weeks. I'll have to unlock my Treo. Thanks.
    tj$bags quick question.
    I'm planning on unlocking via the website you said.
    The instructions says to make sure Treo Activesync is installed and it's available from the cd. uhh wtf is that? Activesync is a program PocketPC uses, and Palm uses HotSync. are they talking about the same thing?

EDIT: nevermind, yeah they wrote it wrong. it's the hotsync. i got the red/blue/green/white bootload screen, i went and bought the unlock. (it's now $24.99 before the $5.00 off treocentral coupon.)

I'm now just waiting for the email/password.

EDIT: got my logon/password, and unlocked successfully! It's awesome.
    Last edited by nXt; 08/03/2005 at 04:35 PM.
  10.    #10  
    Success is sweet, huh....Did you try another chip to be sure?
    Yep! Using T-Mobile service right now.
    When you did the unlock process did you have another SIM card handy or did you unlock and et a SIM card later? I ask because my phone is a Cingular Blue and I want to unlock it so I can use local SIM cards internationally.
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    When you did the unlock process did you have another SIM card handy or did you unlock and et a SIM card later? I ask because my phone is a Cingular Blue and I want to unlock it so I can use local SIM cards internationally.
    Both. I had cingular, i unlocked it through that website.
    I had an AT&T sim card i stole from a store's cell phone display model that's not activated and tried it and it worked.
    Then a week later I got my t-mobile sim card and it works.
  14.    #14  
    my phone wouldn't work at all until it was unlocked. It is marked Cing but had CNB software. the second it was unlocked, the cingular network connected. which is why I called them liars above...
    Yeah. They are a bunch of liers. What I would like to know is where does the guys from EBay get a Cingular branded phone which has a non Cingular software on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nXt
    That does NOT make sense because the Treo 650 is a QUAD BAND GSM Phone, so anywhere on the PLANET EARTH should WORK.
    Not so much. Anywhere on planet Earth with available GSM signal.

Sorry for the off-topic post.
    The guys on eBay are buying Cingular Blue Treo 650's for cheap in bulk, and selling them basically as unbranded/unlocked phones. What happens is: At&t wireless, while going through the Cingular merger, had already ordered the 650's to manafactured. They got them, which subsequently were programmed to use their sim cards, and not cingular's. Now, that's all fine and dandy, if you are a former att customer with their sim. SO, the eBay guys buy off all of these "useless" phones from retailers who have them as returns or the like, and they buy the cable unlocking solution for $399 or whatever. Now they can unlock all of those "useless" 650's so everyone can use them. This is the story of my Treo 650. It is unbranded exteriorly, unlocked, and now has software 1.14/FW 1.43, and is working excellently.
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
  18.    #18  
    Mine was sealed New in Box and branded Cingular with CNB software. It was not unlocked, I had to do that....which was SOOO EASY thru www.unlockcellular.com.
    I cannot rave enough about how worth the $30 that was after unsuccessfully trying to get Cingy to give me the code. Neither the stress or having to LIE are worth saving $30.
    You have an AT&T Cingular blue phone. Although it is cingular branded.
    I realize it has been almost a year since anyone posted to this thread, but I just found it today. I basically just want to confirm a couple of things said above.

I am a "Cingular Blue" customer (former AT&T customer, now forced under Cingular's umbrella). So long as I never change anything about my old AT&T plan (minutes, data, phone replacement and et cetera) I will remain Cingular Blue. I refuse to convert to Cingular until I am forced to - at which time I will find a different carrier - because Cingular's plans cannot even come close to competing with the plan I have as a Cingular Blue customer. The closest thing they have would put me paying $20 more per month, losing 600 day time minutes per month, losing 28 hours of "nights and weekends" per month and paying considerably more for text/SMS/data. Even at that, Cingular's service is HORRIBLE! I never had a single dropped call with AT&T. Ever since Cingular has been on the big advertising kick about how an independent research company says Cingular has the lowest number of dropped calls in the country, I get dropped calls REPEATEDLY (about 6-7 times PER DAY)!

Cingular Lies:

I purchased a Treo 650, branded and locked to Cingular, which I was attempting to use with my old AT&T SIM card. That SIM card works in my Sony Ericsson T616 and Treo 600. When I tried to use it in the new 650 I got the infamous "SIM card not allowed".

Lie #1: I called Cingular today to get an unlock code for my new 650. I was told, "That will not work. The older Treos could be unlocked, but the new 650's are hard-locked, and once they are locked they are locked; there's no changing them. Also, the ROM on the newer Treos is a 'write once' setup. It cannot be changed. If you would like to switch your old AT&T plan over to Cingular, we might be able to give you a new SIM card and get your 650 working."

Lie #2: I told the representative that she was incorrect because I had already updated my Treo to the latest firmware and changed the ROM twice today - once to the CNB software (which is for Cingular Blue customers) and once to the ENA software (which is for non-network-locked Treos). She went silent, thinking of her next lie to force me to give up my AT&T plan and switch to Cingular. She was literally silent for an amount of time that prompted me to have to say, "Ma'am, do you still wish to help me?" She responded, "I'm sorry. I was just looking at some information here. You're out of luck with your Treo 650 unless you switch your plan over to Cingular because the old AT&T SIM cards are 32 bit and the newer SIM cards are 64 bit. That's why you can't get it to work." I informed her that I have been a software engineer for 21 years and that throwing out technical buzz phrases and treating me as naive was not in her best interest, and that I wanted that unlock code. Her response: "I'm sorry, sir. All I can do is switch you over to Cingular, but you obviously don't want to do that, so is there anything else I can assist you with before ending the call?" I said, "Yes, you can give me your name and employee reference ID so that I can verify everything you've told me with your superiors" and the B**CH hung up on me!

UnlockCellular.com:

Following tj$bags's advice, I dropped the $24.99 to UnlockCellular.com and VOILA! My Cingular locked/branded Treo 650 works with my old AT&T SIM card. The process is very fast and works like a charm -- definitely worth the 25 bucks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast