1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 650 GSM and have pretty much had it with T-Mobile since they cut off my T-Zones service, so I'd like to switch to Cingular. My only question is this: Can I get a Cingular plan without a contract? I already own a GSM Treo 650 so I don't need another phone. I just don't want to get locked into a 2 year contract for no reason. I see no reason to support the US phone company obsession with customer lock-in and abuse. I will never again get a subsidized phone, and refuse to lock myself into a contract for any service that I pay for on a monthly basis.

Thanks for the info.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Yes, you can get a Cingular plan without a contract. I have two lines with Cingular (a Treo and a Moto flip-phone) and neither is under contract.
    Make April 15th just another day. Fairtax
    Quote Originally Posted by oclv_9900
    Yes, you can get a Cingular plan without a contract. I have two lines with Cingular (a Treo and a Moto flip-phone) and neither is under contract.
    You signed up for a new activation and were not required to sign a contract?
    I could be wrong, but they stick you to a contract to give you these "discounts" on a new phone, seeing as how you already have a phone, I think with some negotiation you should be good. I am almost positive they'll try to stick you to a contract, they're sales people, but I think you can bypass that.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    You signed up for a new activation and were not required to sign a contract?
    I signed up for a second line and did not have to sign a contract since I was not buying a phone at the discounted price from Cingular. However, I was already a customer and had been out of contract on my first line for about a year so I did not want to sign another contract.

There are usually "no comittment" prices on the phones if you do not want to sign a contract. They may do a credit check and even require a deposit but I don't think they will make you sign a contract if you already own your phone or pay full price for a new phone. At least that has been my experience.