1.    #1  
    I visited a T-Mobile corporate store in Alpharetta, GA yesterday seeking a replacement for a stolen phone, and asked if T-Mobile was ever going to carry the Treo-650 (I had read the recent Brighthand article claiming that it was coming to T-Mobile in the fall). The manager there told me that T-Mobile was instead going to be the first to carry the "Treo-700" in November. This Treo is supposed to be similar to the Treo-650, with the exception that the Treo-700 will have built-in Wi-Fi support. He says that the managers had been given a teaser email telling them about the upcoming phone. When I pressed him for more information (why is T-Mobile getting this phone first (they always get the phones last, usually), is the battery life going to be similar, can he share this teaser email with me...), He wouldn't/couldn't give anymore information.

Has anyone else heard anything like this? It sounds fishy to me, considering that Palm hasn't released any Treo-700 information, and November is getting pretty close, from a cell phone hardware release point of view.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    It kinda makes sense since T-Mobile has such a huge investment in WiFi but, I'll believe it when I see it.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  3.    #3  
    T-mo is all over the place with their hotspots, and a phone that would make use of them makes business sense. My problem with this story is that we haven't heard anything about a Treo 700 (except for the pictures of a supposed Treo 670 running Windows mobile from HTC). In four months, I find it hard to believe that Palm will launch a new product, and T-Mo will be on the front wave of carriers to offer this phone, with or even ahead of Sprint.

Do we have any other T-mo employees out there that want to put their jobs on the line and quietly confirm or deny this tale?
    I think the TMo managers story could bare some truth to it. But, I am sure it has many of us trying to fill in the blanks. There need to be some type of press release to get me more hyped up.
    Since the T650 has been out for awhile, it would only make sense if Palm made this model exclusively for TMo. I would probably buy the phone too. But, there is no way I would purchase a T700 if it were locked only to TMobile's Hotspots!!!
    You never lived until you almost died!
    I heard the same thing from a manager where I live. They also had info on the Razrberry before anyone else, so I'd say this has some credibility!
    I just called to t-mobile to pay my bill so after i asked to get treo 650 i was transfered to sales rep. she told me they dont have it the only treo they had was 600 and after searching for 5min she told me there is no news about any treo 700 o other to upgrade the 600 they have.
  7.    #7  
    I also had to call to T-mobile, to get a replacement chip for my work phone. I asked about any future Treos, and I was told that there are none on their list of projected phones coming to T-mobile, but I was told that the list didn't "look" that far into the future, and constantly recieved updates. This is the only info that the phone support people seem to have access to.

I think we still need to hear from someone in T-mobile's supply chain management to get this confirmed....
    Not that it means a lot, but remember that T-mobile was the only U.S. carrier to sell the HP 6315, which is a GPRS/Wi-Fi equipped PDA. Even though the 6315 was a dog by anyone's standards, it did do a pretty good job of switching the data connection from GPRS to Wi-Fi as the signal strength dictated.

So if the next Treo does indeed have built-in Wi-Fi, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect that T-mobile, with all of their hotspots, would be one fo the first carriers to want to sign on. Hmm...

TMann
    The word at CES in January was that T-Mobile passed on the 650 because of the lack of Wi-Fi.
    Quote Originally Posted by rysmith
    The word at CES in January was that T-Mobile passed on the 650 because of the lack of Wi-Fi.
    This is the same reason why I passed on the 650. Bluetooth and better screen display doesnt justify switching the cost from 600 to 650 IMO.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IceMike
    This is the same reason why I passed on the 650. Bluetooth and better screen display doesnt justify switching the cost from 600 to 650 IMO.
    I'd have to disagree. Plus you're overlooking the other improvements such as: faster processor, EDGE capable, much better keyboard, replaceable battery, improved camera, and other things I can't think of right now. It is an expensive upgrade but it was worth it in my opinion. If T-Mobile does introduce a WiFi capable Treo I will definitely upgrade to that as well. It just may take me awhile to save up for it (I'm a cash only kinda of guy) but thats what I'll do.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    I'd have to disagree. Plus you're overlooking the other improvements such as: faster processor, EDGE capable, much better keyboard, replaceable battery, improved camera, and other things I can't think of right now. It is an expensive upgrade but it was worth it in my opinion. If T-Mobile does introduce a WiFi capable Treo I will definitely upgrade to that as well. It just may take me awhile to save up for it (I'm a cash only kinda of guy) but thats what I'll do.
    Justification for purchasing a T650 is always up for debate. For MY reasons, I would rather hold off about another year or so UNTIL either 1) The price drops on T650, or 2) A Palm Wi-FI bluetooth model phone comes out. Until then, I am still going to enjoy my T600.
    I will wait for a T-Mo subsidized Treo to replace my 600. I am doing everything I could want to do with a handheld with the 600 and do not have a reason to drop $700 for Edge/Keyboard and Bluetooth. If there is a Treo 700 (I do not think it would go to T-Mo first and that it could be unknown to everyone this close to November) and T-Mo gets with it right away, I will be first in line. If they blow the release of the next Treo (if there is one), it looks like I will head for the Motorola Q already announced. As far as I can tell, it will have everything the Treo does, but will be smaller, lighter, and with Active Synch and the next release of Exchange on Windows Servers, it will potentially be a Treo killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidk6235
    If they blow the release of the next Treo (if there is one), it looks like I will head for the Motorola Q already announced. As far as I can tell, it will have everything the Treo does, but will be smaller, lighter, and with Active Synch and the next release of Exchange on Windows Servers, it will potentially be a Treo killer.

I will also be in line for the Q. It sounds like the answer to all problems. I expect it will arrive subsidized at about $600. Just a guess.