1.    #1  
    So today I found out (for sure) that I will be spending October through December in the U.K. working (yes, very excited). I currently have a 1yr tmobile contract that expires in Nov. I am wondering...

- What are the realistic options for cell phone use over there?

- If cell phone use there to call the US is really expensive then I can live without a cell phone... I'll just use internet telephony (don't have to use cell phone for work).

- Has anyone ever looked into "moving plans overseas" or let my US plan run out and get a short term plan overseas?

- Pipe dreams to even think that my treo will be useful over ther? (GMS Unlocked)

Any input on one or more of these points/questions would be greatly appreciated!

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrefy
    So today I found out (for sure) that I will be spending October through December in the U.K. working (yes, very excited). I currently have a 1yr tmobile contract that expires in Nov. I am wondering...

- What are the realistic options for cell phone use over there?

- If cell phone use there to call the US is really expensive then I can live without a cell phone... I'll just use internet telephony (don't have to use cell phone for work).

- Has anyone ever looked into "moving plans overseas" or let my US plan run out and get a short term plan overseas?

- Pipe dreams to even think that my treo will be useful over ther? (GMS Unlocked)

Any input on one or more of these points/questions would be greatly appreciated!

I have been in London since April, and will be going home Aug 8th. Following are my experiences.
    I am a TMO-US customer with Hotspot & Unl. Internet.
    TMO-US received/sent calls are US$.99 per minute
    Your unlocked Treo-650 can be used here.
    Vodafone UK - Pay as you go, calls to the US 1.29British Pounds
    Orange UK 0.40p
    Virgin UK 0.40p approx
    TMO-UK 1.29p
    Carphone Warehouse - Mobile World 0.07p
    GPRS usage is very expensive. I found the best package available with Orange-UK - For the last two months you can purchase 16MB for 4.00p.
    If you have unlimited TMO-US wireless hotspots, you can visit any of several Starbucks in the London area, for internet services on your laptop/pda.
    For Business, I have the Blackberry 7100g from Cingular. The Blackberry International plan is US$69.00 for unlimited worldwide-gsm mail and internet browsing. The latter is slow and not worth my time.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the great info! Pretty expensive to call back, I may just do a pay as you go with no data as an emergency phone and then get broadband for 3 months and use internet telephony :-)
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrefy
    Thanks for the great info! Pretty expensive to call back, I may just do a pay as you go with no data as an emergency phone and then get broadband for 3 months and use internet telephony :-)
    As in the US, it is very difficult to get a land line telephone, broadband service, etc.... without UK credit history.
    Have a great trip.