Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Stop using BB? :-)
    Or have it exclude this file from backups.
    Yep, that did the trick...
    Don't know why I didn't think of that
    When I do the initial hotsync after hard reset it seems to be taking forever to sync media to the new tempdelete user. Is this normal and what media is being synced?
    worked without any problems for me

sound quality barely improved, but more memory!
    I did the CNB upgrade and it went very poorly for me. I had issues re-installing all of my software after the update (that part seemed to go ok, now have 1.31 and 1.15). It took me several hours to figure out how to reload most if not all of my software (that all worked before the upgrade).

A couple of things that I noticed after the upgrade:

As someone else pointed out, hitting any key when a call is coming in only silences the ringer for a brief moment.
    I still have the select network option in the phone preferences.
    Significant amount of free memory ~10M to ~15M (note I did have to manually reinstall all my apps, might have missed something but I don't think so).
    DTMF tones are really long and slow (seems to take the same amount of time, but each tone is longer)
    Last edited by geneld; 07/28/2005 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Updated memory saved - didn't have Avantgo data on Treo
    Quote Originally Posted by geneld
    (note I did have to manually reinstall all my apps, might have missed something but I don't think so).
    Did you hot sync to your original user name before the update? Did you hot sync after the update?

Did you create a new user name for the update? If so, did you select your old user name when prompted after the update not the one you created for the update?
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    Did you hot sync to your original user name before the update? Did you hot sync after the update?

Did you create a new user name for the update? If so, did you select your old user name when prompted after the update not the one you created for the update?
    Yes - I did as the instructions said. My problem was when I tried to re-synch with my original profile, it caused the Treo to go into a reset loop. Best I can tell, it would only let me install one app at a time if the app required a reset after the install. Apps that didn't require a reset could be installed en mass. It took me quite awhile to figure that out, hence a lot of reset loops.
    Quote Originally Posted by geneld
    As someone else pointed out, hitting any key when a call is coming in only silences the ringer for a brief moment.
    Ok I just tried this again, and it seems to work. Hitting any key, including PTT silences the ringer.
    Quote Originally Posted by franknitty69
    cingular orange (cng) and cingular (blue). if you have modifed your rom and forgot which one you were, you are cng if you bought a cingular branded 650 if you bought a att/cingular branded 650 you would have cnb.
    I have been trying to figure that out all day. It finally came to me. The numbers can be anything its the CNB or CNG that determines the download selection. Your numbers will be your old numbers until you upgrade. Then it will be 1.15 (I Hope)
    Don't know why, but my phone wouldn't take the upgrade, either the CNG or CNB versions.

Used my mac, via Missing Sync, and got all the files loaded, but no joy with the updater. It said "your device not eligible for update" or something to that effect.

I wonder why.

In any case, I'm safe with the ROW, but wanted to upgrade.
    Cingular Treo 650
    FW 01.51 SW Treo650-1.b17-CNG
    Mac OSX.4.6
    well, I did the update as explained and now when ever I try a bluetooth sync the treo resets. also I can no longer sync via Isync using the USB cable, it says it's doing it's thing but it isn't actually transferring any info. I tried 'reset device' in Isync and it doesn't work either.

I spent 2 hours on the phone with palm (they are convinced it is a problem with my computer (mac powerbook 17, 10.4.2, etc)) even though the treo resets immediate upon the initiation of the hotsync.

this sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rscow
    Used my mac, via Missing Sync, and got all the files loaded, but no joy with the updater. It said "your device not eligible for update" or something to that effect.
    Several folk have reported that exact same problem, all of them using Macs. At least one has subsequently upgradd successfully using a PC instead, so it seems to be another of "those Mac things."
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I finally did the deed last night and, because of my own stipidty, it took way to long. I kept reading the software version wrong, and I thought it never updated, so I kept redoing the upgrade. I butchered my hot sync also as one of my old items kept causing the phone to reset constantly - I think. Had to reinstall one by one but I think I am where I want to be, except my ringtones. Will go through that process today of uploading to my web site, and then downloading to the phone. I find that much easier than email or searching the wqeb. I have them all in a directory on my computer and the web page all set to go

Firmware 1.31
    software Treo 650-1.15-CNG

I now have 21.4 available, before the ringtones. I think they will chew up a big hunk of that, but I will delete several of the horrible Cingular tones that came on the phone.

I do not like that the screen coes dark almost instantly, no matter what I have the off set to - it goes in 30 seconds and I want 3 minutes
    Last edited by dapastaguy; 07/29/2005 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Features
    Samsung SCH3500 - Sanyo 4900 - Samsung I500 - Treo 650, and loving it!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rscow
    Don't know why, but my phone wouldn't take the upgrade, either the CNG or CNB versions.

I wonder why.

In any case, I'm safe with the ROW, but wanted to upgrade.
    Same issue with my mac, out of curiosity, are you running Tiger? I want to figure out if it's a mac thing or a tiger thing.

Anyway, I had success using the SD card method, however this will only upgrade your firmware, so you will still be running 1.13-ROW which is cool because you won't have any of the cingular branding.

Just drag the files onto your card, place them in the PALM folder and in the Launch folder within that. Run the Firmware upgrade which should be the middle file, (the other two won't do a thing) and that's it. Now I freaked when I saw nothing in the Firmware version... once you put your sim card back and turn the phone on you'll be good. (You probably knew this already but I know I almost had a heart attack lol) Hope this helps
    There have been a number of folks with issues/problems with Macs. Just wanted to mention that I don't think it's a "systemic" issue with Mac or at least not with Tiger. I was able to upgrade a Cingular subsidy-unlocked 650 using the standard CNG update via a Mac running 10.4.2 (Tiger).

Everything went exactly as the instructions said it would, which is rare but really nice.

I was also able to get BT DUN to work almost immediately. The only non-obvious part was the need to enable DUN before pairing the phone with your Mac so the phone reports networking capability. This causes the BT setup assistant to go ahead and create the necessary profile info, etc. Again, it worked pretty much out-of-the-box.

And, since it's fashionable to say so, 8mb -> 13mb :-)
    tomcole, so you just hotsync'd it and everything was cool? Ugh I wonder why mine won't work. Are you using the latest version of the desktop client or the one that came with your cd... maybe my issue is that I'm using the newer one?

I shouldn't be complaining, the card method was cool for me but I hate when I can't get things right.
    neptical, I used the software distro from the original Treo 650 CD, which was purchased in March of this year - I don't know if that contains the most recent revision of the software or not.

The update was done using the standard USB hotsynch cable, using a recent-model Powerbook as the host machine - the same machine I use for regular synch operations. I don't use Palm Desktop, but instead use the Mac OS X PIM applications, so the application-level backup and restore operations use iSync's Palm conduit. But other than that, it was about as vanilla as possible.

Having said all of this, tonight I will upgrade my wife's Treo as well. I hope it goes as well, but perhaps there is only one successful upgrade allocated per family...
    Quote Originally Posted by dapastaguy
    I do not like that the screen coes dark almost instantly, no matter what I have the off set to - it goes in 30 seconds and I want 3 minutes
    The screen only fully turns off, when you're actually on a call talking on the treo via the phone it self or a corded headset.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nXt
    The screen only fully turns off, when you're actually on a call talking on the treo via the phone it self or a corded headset.
    yes..i absolutely hate this "feature"..as sometimes the screen wont come back on. It should be an option to do this and not a requirement!

rob
    Anyone having their mic turn off when the screen turns off? Friend of mine with a Cingular 650 is having that issue on EVERY call post update.
    In trying to upgrade my 650 (on which I had recently installed 1.28ROW) I also got the error that my device is not eligible. I remembered a technique described by Taroliw to bypass the HotSync install for the 1.28 update in this thread.

I took a risk and did the following:

-Hard reset
    -Put FileZ on my treo
    -Copied the Treo_650_Updater_1_15 folder to an SD card
    -Used FileZ to copy the files in the Treo_650_Updater_1_15 folder to my Treo (just the files, not the folder)
    -Removed the SD card (just to be safe)
    -Clicked the Home button on my Treo
    -Ran the D.C. app now visible on my Treo
    -Firmware update ran as expected

Like many other 1.28ROW users, I had to run the updater twice to get the phone info to reflect the new version. All seems fine so far - no glitches or surprises yet. If you choose to do what I did, do so at your own risk -- I'm no treo expert and probably shouldn't have tried it myself.