1.    #1  
    Can anybody confirm if it is possible to get the Treo 650 on a Cingular family plan?
    A Cingular rep told me I couldn't do both because the sharing of minutes wouldn't work. I'm about to buy one (not two) and switch over from VZW.

Thanks,
    Rainer
    Talk to other Cingular rep. Sharing minutes has nothing to do with whatever your phone is.
  3. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I have my Treo on a family plan at Cingular.
  4. Lew
    Same here, bought and use a T650 on a family plan with three other phones/lines.

Find a different Cingular rep, if he can't get something that basic right he doesn't deserve a commission.
    My wife and I both have 650's and we share a family plan on Cingular.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    I've never had a family plan so I'm a bit confused as to how all this works, and also wonder if I can use this situation to obtain the coveted $20 MediaWorks.

My wife is halfway through a 2-year Cingular contract. We have always used different carriers because it provides better aggregate reliability when our family is travelling together (a post-9/11 mentality). But now the pricing on the Cingular 650 is enticing enough to consider giving up this dogma.

I talked with a Cingular rep a while back and learned that the switch to a family plan would occur after I sign up, and that the two contracts' time spans would be maintained separately.

I also wonder if I could use this situation to obtain the coveted $20 MediaWorks. I.e., ask Cingular to switch the two phone numbers, then sign up for MediaWorks on my wife's line and swap the SIMs. Does anyone have any opinions regarding the feasibility of this, and/or experience of adding a phone and switching to a family plan?
    I can't answer your question about contact span, as honestly i didn't ask about it, but here's what our situation was. My wife and I were formally both Verizon customers...I switched to Cing. in February when they released the 650, I then switched my wife in April when we decided to get her a 650 with cing. as well. At that time cing. cancelled my individual plan and we got a family calling plan and we both have the unlimited media net internet plan for $20 a month. When i added my wife and changed my calling plan, i was forced to also change my data plan - but not a huge loss as i still only pay $20 a month. anyway, you shouldn't need to switch SIM's at all.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
  8. Lew
    I believe the add-a-line-to-any-plan style of family plan Cing used to have is no longer good. Double check, but I think your wife would have to switch to a new family plan with two lines, and you'd but the Treo on the second line.

Beware of the difference between MediaWorks and MediaNet Unlimited. Vastly different beasts.

For that matter, your wife may eligible for an upgrade. Upgrade/buy the Treo on her line, buy a phone on your line that she'd like, and swap the SIMs. Then you could possibly add MediaNet Unlimited to your line via Cingular's Online Account Manager.

And actually through the major charlie-foxtrot that Cingular made of my porting four lines in from two different carriers to a single family plan, I suspect they may not even have the IMEI of my Treo attached to any particular line. Not a big deal since of course they don't offer insurance of any sort on the Treo.
    I am a former ATTWS customer who had a family plan with four lines. We migrated over to Cingular on 6-6-05 to a new family plan with no problems: One Treo 650 (Mine!); Razr V3 and two Sony Ericcson z2500. Being on a family plan has nothing to do with being able to get a Treo. Many of the customer service reps are clueless so I would talk to more than one.
  10. Lew
    Many of the customer service reps are clueless so I would talk to more than one

D@mn straight. Save the aggravation of trying to find a CS rep with a clue and head straight on over to http://howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50 where you'll find lots of knowledgeable folks. Be sure to check the FAQ