Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    I read this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ht=unlock+treo

I currently have T-Mobile service and want to keep it.

My cousin will sell me his Cingular 650 (locked) phone / accessories.

If I follow the instructions in the thread above will I be able to use this phone with T-Mobile? Or is that thread a walkthru for a firmware upgrade?

Even if I follow the instructions above, do I still need an unlock code from Cingular in order to complete the thread's instructions, or do you get that code from the phone itself?

Thanks,
    Dim-Ize
    Impossible. A device locked to Cingular cannot be used on T-Mobile unless unlocked. And that thread does not unlock your device, it just updates and unbrands the firmware. This means all Cingular apps will be removed and will run ROW firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize
    I read this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ht=unlock+treo

I currently have T-Mobile service and want to keep it.

My cousin will sell me his Cingular 650 (locked) phone / accessories.

If I follow the instructions in the thread above will I be able to use this phone with T-Mobile? Or is that thread a walkthru for a firmware upgrade?

Even if I follow the instructions above, do I still need an unlock code from Cingular in order to complete the thread's instructions, or do you get that code from the phone itself?

Thanks,
    Dim-Ize
    That thread's a walkthrough for a firmware upgrade. While your cousin is still a Cingular customer, have him call customer service and get the unlock code.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Awesome.

Now I understand. Two seperate things: Firmware update (not required) and unlock code (required).

I'll see if my cousin can get this from Cingular. Then I should be good to go. If it works (unlock code) and I can use T-Mobile, then I would likely do the firmware update to remove Cingular's stuff which wouldn't work anyways.

Thanks so much, guys!

Dim-Ize
    Dim-Ize, not to sound like that guy that rants and raves about having an unlocked Treo 650 but, I purchased one on ebay about two weeks ago and was having the hardest time getting Cingular to unlock. Not only did I get some crazy reasons for not giving me the unlock code but, most sounded sympathetic to my wanting to unlock my phone. My biggest problem was that I don't have a Cingular account. So, I used a buddy's account. Well, that buddy is not the actual owner (at least in Cingular's database) not am I so, I was told the actual owner had to call. Anyway to make a long story short, I tried and tried and tried. I became really creative with my stories and everyone had a different answer so it's not like I could improve on the same story the next time round. Anyway, to I finally turned to an unlock service. Paid thirty bucks last night. This morning I get email with password to access an online server and I really freaked, my freakin phone actually unlocked with the code the server spit out. I was really skeptical and was about 85% sure it wouldn't work but here I am, as happy as can be. Now to just finish up with the other unbranding stuff and connection setup. But just thought I'd let you know in case you get no where with Cingular.
    I am not a Cingular customer, not have I ever been one. However - I purchased my brand-new, locked Cingular 650 from a Cingular store. All they wanted to unlock my phone was for me to fax them a copy of my receipt so they could verify I paid full price for the phone (which was $549 plus tax). The rep actually stayed on the phone with me while I faxed. As soon as the fax arrived, he gave me my unlock code.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Wow, Gilbert, what an ordeal. I had no idea this was so complicated as I have just begun reading and searching threads on this incredible site. It's certainly overwhelming how much information is out there.

I'm thinking if my cousin can't get the unlock code for his phone, that the easiest and safest way to do it is to pay to have it done. For $30 - that beats a full day of waiting on hold, failed attempts, and the frustration of it all.

I appreciate so much all your valuable input.

Dim-Ize