1.    #1  
    I think this would inevitably harm the the great customer service that we're now getting from T-Mob.

And I at least, have no complaints about their high speed Edge deployment. (178 Kbs, Wash. DC)

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...=myyahoo&dist=

DT considers T-Mobile future
    Sale could generate around $30 billion

By MarketWatch
    July 4, 2005

LONDON (MarketWatch) -- Deutsche Telekom AG, the German telephone company, recently told investors it expects by December to have reached a decision on whether to retain wireless operator T-Mobile USA, media reports on Sunday said.

DT's management board has been considering options for the business, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing unnamed sources.

A sale could value the mobile phone business an estimated $30 billion and spare the German parent company the costs needed to upgrade the U.S. network. T-Mobile U.S. rivals are investing heavily in high-speed Internet access.

A sale would further open an opportunity for acquisitions in Europe.

Deutsche Telekom acquired T-Mobile USA, then called Voicestream, in 2001 for $47.2 billion.

DT shares rose 0.5% in Frankfurt on Monday.

U.K.-based Vodafone Group (UK:VOD: news, chart, profile) (VOD: news, chart, profile) is expected to be a leading bidder, as it's seen as keen to have a 100% control of a U.S. operator, the London's Observer newspaper on Sunday reported. T-Mobile uses the same technology as Vodafone.

Presently, Vodafone has a minority stake in Verizon Communications' (VZ: news, chart, profile) Verizon Wireless. The report said Vodafone would sell the stake to buy T-Mobile USA. T-Mobile executives know they need to fill gaps in European markets, where the firm is weak.

However, Vodafone has said that it isn't interested in T-Mobile, according to the Journal report. Vodafone last year lost out on acquiring AT&T Wireless Services..."

Copyright 2005 MarketWatch, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Last edited by BARYE; 07/04/2005 at 06:22 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Well. . . this might explain the uncertainty tmo has about its data devices lately.
    The title of this thread is misleading. If one reads the article (and several others around on the same subject), he will note that T-Mobile is not for sale, but that DT's management has told investors, "it expects by December to have reached a decision on whether to retain wireless operator T-Mobile USA". Personally, I find it hard to believe that DT would jetison it's largest stream of revenue as well as its only growing market.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Whatever happens I just hope they get on the high speed data band wagon. I'm tired of slow speeds with no real promise of relief in sight. I like T-Mobile for many reasons but the uncertainty and lack of communication about their plans for high speed data is making me very cranky.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gamble
    The title of this thread is misleading. If one reads the article (and several others around on the same subject), he will note that T-Mobile is not for sale, but that DT's management has told investors, "it expects by December to have reached a decision on whether to retain wireless operator T-Mobile USA". Personally, I find it hard to believe that DT would jetison it's largest stream of revenue as well as its only growing market.

NY Times has a more in depth article --

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/05/te...syahoo&emc=rss

the facts and rumors are open to interpretation -- my gut is that they will sell rather than raise their ante and reinvest additional billions.

The slew of stories on t-mob & DT are not just the product of speculation -- someone has been talking to the investment bankers...
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    NY Times has a more in depth article --

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/05/te...syahoo&emc=rss

the facts and rumors are open to interpretation -- my gut is that they will sell rather than raise their ante and reinvest additional billions.

The slew of stories on t-mob & DT are not just the product of speculation -- someone has been talking to the investment bankers...
    Perhaps a cable company would buy it, because some of them are looking to get into wireless service.
  7.    #7  
    maybe it was just a litter of kiddy investment bankers sitting around doing the circle jerk, gossipping to the media (OTR) -- just chumming the waters looking to make some big time underwriting cash.

maybe yes, maybe no...

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/...afx2122633.htm

AFX News Limited

Deutsche Telekom not interested in selling T-Mobile USA

FRANKFURT (AFX) - Deutsche Telekom AG has no intention of selling its US mobile phone unit T-Mobile USA, German daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung reported, citing unnamed sources close to the management and supervisory boards.

The reports were 'purely fictitious' and were invented by financial investors in the US, the sources told the newspaper.

Deutsche Telekom's supervisory board did not recently discuss the sale of the US unit, the sources added.

The Wall Street Journal Europe reported earlier, citing unnamed sources, that the telecoms giant's management board has been discussing the divestment of T-Mobile USA and that a sale could value the mobile phone business at an estimated 25-30 bln usd.
    Another similar article: http://www.informationweek.com/story...leID=165600579

T-Mobile Endures Upgrade Challenge, Reports Of Possible Sale

T-Mobile is facing the daunting task of moving to 3G technology, a process that some observers say could cost as much as $10 billion. Meanwhile, the company is battling reports Tuesday that it could go on the auction block. (etc.)
    I just hope they don't sell it to Cingular. GSM competition in the US is good for consumers.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JHromadka
    I just hope they don't sell it to Cingular. GSM competition in the US is good for consumers.
    I agree completely. It seems like most people are not happy with Cingular and if they buy the only other GSM carrier then there will be nothing to force them continue to improve. At least until WCDMA becomes pervasive which will allow folks to use the same phone here and in Europe. At that point Sprint and Verizon look more attractive than they currently do.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    At that point Sprint and Verizon look more attractive than they currently do.
    FYI: WCDMA is a totally different technology than CDMA. We won't see Verizon and Sprint implimenting WCDMA technology anytime soon, they have taken a different migration path to 3G (EVDO) as GSM is moving towards a 3G WCDMA technology.
  12.    #12  
    NY Times again wrote today about T-Mobile

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/11/te...11mobile.html?

here are some snips from it:

"... T-Mobile, they note, is profitable and has the youngest subscribers in the industry, many of them concentrated in wealthier, urban markets. They also say it has one of the most efficient operations among the major carriers.

Deutsche Telekom could "keep running T-Mobile as a low-cost, voice-centric carrier," said Roger Entner, an industry analyst with Ovum, a market research company. Given that T-Mobile's costs are the second-lowest after Verizon's, it can afford to cut prices to attract new customers.

"If there is a price war, T-Mobile has the longest breath, after Verizon ...

...T-Mobile has developed a business catering to younger subscribers looking for no-frills services. Today, 47 percent of its 18.3 million subscribers are between 13 and 34 years old, the highest such concentration among the major carriers...

...it had the highest rankings of any carrier in serving small and medium-size businesses. The company also ranked first in a J. D. Power survey published in March on customer care.

Some analysts are concerned that the gap between T-Mobile and the three largest carriers - Cingular now has 50.3 million subscribers, Verizon has 46 million and a combined Sprint-Nextel will have 43 million if the merger is approved - has grown so big that T-Mobile may be unable to compete effectively for long..."
    ANY company is for sale if the right amount of money is laid down on the table.
    You never lived until you almost died!
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    I agree completely. It seems like most people are not happy with Cingular and if they buy the only other GSM carrier then there will be nothing to force them continue to improve. At least until WCDMA becomes pervasive which will allow folks to use the same phone here and in Europe. At that point Sprint and Verizon look more attractive than they currently do.
    Bingo! T-Mobile has three advantages: superior customer service, great rates, and excellent international roaming. What T-Mobile doesn't have is market share, the latest-and-greatest phones, and limited data services.

Personally speaking, over the last 8 years I have had CellularOne (later AT&T and now Cingular), Sprint, Pacific Bell (now Cingular), Nextel (now Sprint), and finally T-Mobile. I left Sprint when I first needed international roaming. $4.29/minute for Europe (Cingular) was insane, and I got sick of waiting for national PTT on Nextel. T-Mobile has been excellent for me, and has been the only carrier I have stayed with for more than 18 months. It really bothered me to pay for an unlocked Treo 650, but it isn't so bad when you consider the cost savings in my monthly plan.

Actually, I miss the good old days of Sprint when you purchased the phone for retail prices and you got much, much better monthly rates than anyone else. That ended when they started tacking on the small fees and became just like the rest of 'em.

OK, rant over.
    actually cingular has an international roaming plan for 4.99 a month and only .15 cents a minute roaming ANYWHERE! u got suckered because u didn't know they had the plan! LOL
    Wrong:

http://www.cingular.com/customer_service/roaming_we

International roaming is $1.29/min for western Europe or $0.99/min + $5.99/month. So I could spend $72/year for the priviledge of paying the same per-minute rates I get with T-Mobile. And that's assuming there's no fine print.

I do remember the $0.99/min rate. It was $0.99/min some years ago. Then they changed the plan so that it became $0.99 + long distance, so a call from Europe back to the US was something like $4.39/min when you added the long distance and taxes.

Sorry, but there's no comparison. Cingular isn't a charity - they charge more in the monthly bills so that they can give you your Treo at a large discount.