1.    #1  
    I'm getting ready to buy a Treo 650, but I'm having major angst about which carrier to go with. Currently, I have Verizon with a basic phone. The coverage is great, but I have heard really bad things about VZW's data plans (plus they are way expensive.) I've considered Sprint - they seem to support the Treo well, have the cheapest data plans, but spotty coverage (in the southwest U.S., where I occasionally travel.) I like the idea of a GSM phone for international travel, although it is not essential for me. Cingular may be the best of both worlds for me. They seem to have good national coverage, and slightly cheaper data than Verizon.

What do you think? Do you love Cingular? Use it in the U.S. southwest? What is the best data plan from Cingular? Any opinions are greatly valued. Thanks!
    I use VZW and for me, it's all about coverage. My assistant in NY has a Cingular plan and she is constantly hitting deadspots in major areas. I'm switching her to VZW this next week. I can't convince you to go with Cingular - VZW, I've found, has the best coverage, so that's something to consider. Yep, they're more, but when I'm stuck in the middle of BFE, I'd rather have paid more to be able to reach someone.

Pamela
  3.    #3  
    Thanks - my original feelings were that the Verizon coverage was worth the extra cost/hassle, but I am starting to wonder. I thought I should take a look at Cingular, see how people feel about their service. I think it is crazy that we have to choose between good coverage and fair pricing.
    I switched from Verizon to Cingular about 3 months ago, because I gave up on Verizon every getting the 650. I'd been a Verizon customer for over 8 years, back when they were GTE. Back then, Verizon was the only carrier that had a signal at my house in San Francisco. (I live up against the Golden Gate recreation area, which is a big federal park, so no cell antennae.) I was pretty nervous about switching carriers.

The result? I'm getting better coverage with Cingular than I did with Verizon. Part of my commute takes my alongside Golden Gate Park, and I would almost always get dropped with Verizon. No problems with Cingular. So far I've found one dead spot on highway 280, buts its very short.

My experience? Cingular has a slight coverage edge in northern San Francisco.

-Bear
    I just switched out my Cingular Treo650 to Verizon Treo 650 on Saturday. I had the worst coverage, dropped calls, I had to stand in a certain place in the house so the calls wouldn't drop. The phone rebooted at least the minumum of three times daily, unexpectedly. Emails crashed the system, I thought I was using my HP6315 from TMobile in which I switched out for the Treo 600. I was losing interest in the Cingular Treo650 but Verizon made me a happy customer. High in price but worth it. It is also faster than GSM Edge.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for your replies. Maybe I worry too much The only reason I'm worried about making a bad decision is that I don't want to get locked into another 2 years with Verizon if it is going to suck. My NE2 comes up in July, but my contract isn't up until Sept. I would really have to wait until then if I want to comparison shop. But I've been without a Palm since April, and I don't know if I can wait that long.

Anyway, thanks for hearing me out.
    Last edited by slithy; 06/28/2005 at 03:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I imagine a lot depends on where in the SW you are. I got really good coverage from Phoenix up to and including Sedona with Cingular. I got good coverage from Colorado Springs all the way down to Taos,NM except through Cimmarron Canyon. I lost my signal to the south and to the west of Taos (stayed in Arroyo Hondo with no signal and my girlfriend had no signal with Verizon, either). I have found that we have equally good coverage everywhere we have been together. EDGE is spotty, but availability is supposed to start improving very soon. Now if Cingular would hurry and release the new firmware I'd be happy...
    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    Quote Originally Posted by slithy
    Thanks for your replies. Maybe I worry too much The only reason I'm worried about making a bad decision is that I don't want to get locked into another 2 years with Verizon if it is going to suck. My NE2 comes up in July, but my contract isn't up until Sept. I would really have to wait until then if I want to comparison shop. But I've been without a Palm since April, and I don't know if I can wait that long.

Anyway, thanks for hearing me out.
    I hear ya. They're definitely not the cheapest. I just look at everything else I buy. I.e. I buy real wood furniture - I don't have much because I save for it but... I want something that will last and will be solid. Same with my cell service. If you never leave the areas with the best reception by most all carriers, no big deal. But I have a 100 mile treck down Alligator alley to visit family and VZW is the only carrier that is with me all the way. That's my selling point. I've also been with VZW since - gee, their existence?

I'm not so concerned getting service in my house as I am up in the mountains (and I've lived in the mountains).

Pamela
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slithy
    I'm getting ready to buy a Treo 650, but I'm having major angst about which carrier to go with. Currently, I have Verizon with a basic phone. The coverage is great, but I have heard really bad things about VZW's data plans (plus they are way expensive.) I've considered Sprint - they seem to support the Treo well, have the cheapest data plans, but spotty coverage (in the southwest U.S., where I occasionally travel.) I like the idea of a GSM phone for international travel, although it is not essential for me. Cingular may be the best of both worlds for me. They seem to have good national coverage, and slightly cheaper data than Verizon.

What do you think? Do you love Cingular? Use it in the U.S. southwest? What is the best data plan from Cingular? Any opinions are greatly valued. Thanks!
    I've been with Cingular for just about 6 months now and overall it has been pretty good. I have the MediaNet data plan for $19.95 a month.