1.    #1  
    All the other carriers have gotten a new Palmone update for the Treo 650, anyone know when the Cingular Update is coming out?
    AT&T Treo 750 (Unlocked) WM6

DrB
    Feels like never.
    Hrmm let me consult the bones....

Bones say prospect not good.

I really am not happy with the response to updates on Cingulars end.
    why bother with the cingular update. just use the generic gsm one, and you wont have to deal with the annoying cingular apps.
    I my opinion it's just not worth it yet. Sure, people have reported good results but plenty of people have reported bad too. I also don't like the fact that it causes you to be stuck with the unlocked firmware from now on. What happens if Cingular realeses a firmware upgrade with something very specific to Cingular. If you have the unlocked firmware running you're out of luck.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Yea with Cingulars great customer service that is likely.....not.....
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    What software could they come out with. Unless its streaming video then it would be useless to me anyway. I highly doubt they will have anything above the unlocked gsm update that will improve the phone functionality.
    Unless you know the internal details of the Treo, installing a ROM update on your Treo that is targeted to another version runs the risk of all kinds of unhappy outcomes from death to constant reset loops to application crashes. Maybe it works OK for you may it doesn't. There is no one version of the TREO 650. There is is the unlocked GSM version and carrier specific versions. Each has different ROM/firmware.

Most of us do not have the time nor the knowledge to take a chance in screwing up our precious Treos. We just want to use them and be happy.

All that said, since there is an unlocked GSM update, there should be a locked GSM carrier-specific update not far behind unless the carrier is incompetent. Cingular should be more forthcoming. Either they are not sanctioning a new update, or they are working on one and it will come out as soon as they finish testing it. Of course that may be difficult given the fact that their customer service is so screwed up that no two customer agents give the same answer to the same question.

Those of us who don't have time to experiment or are mere users want upgrades that work and are proper. I'll keep following these threads, but until a sanctioned Cingular upgrade is released, I won't be upgrading my Cingular Treo, even if I am dissappointed that others have improved theirs and mine isn't.
    Last edited by markdj; 06/24/2005 at 10:38 AM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by markdj
    Unless you know the internal details of the Treo, installing a ROM update on your Treo that is targeted to another version runs the risk of all kinds of unhappy outcomes from death to constant reset loops to application crashes. Maybe it works OK for you may it doesn't. There is no one version of the TREO 650. There is is the unlocked GSM version and carrier specific versions. Each has different ROM/firmware.

Most of us do not have the time nor the knowledge to take a chance in screwing up our precious Treos. We just want to use them and be happy.

All that said, since there is an unlocked GSM update, there should be a locked GSM carrier-specific update not far behind unless the carrier is incompetent. Cingular should be more forthcoming. Either they are not sanctioning a new update, or they are working on one and it will come out as soon as they finish testing it. Of course that may be difficult given the fact that their customer service is so screwed up that no two customer agents give the same answer to the same question.

Those of us who don't have time to experiment or are mere users want upgrades that work and are proper. I'll keep following these threads, but until a sanctioned Cingular upgrade is released, I won't be upgrading my Cingular Treo, even if I am dissappointed that others have improved theirs and mine isn't.

Great points. Exactly why I'm waiting for the official release.
    I know this is probably silly, but is there some way to impress upon Cingular that there really are a lot of people out there wanting the update? A website? particular customer service number? oracle?

According to PalmOne site, even Roger's Wireless has an update!
    Quote Originally Posted by jfthomas
    I know this is probably silly, but is there some way to impress upon Cingular that there really are a lot of people out there wanting the update?
    I did a web chat w/ Cingular support (get at it through their customer forums) and they claimed that it was entirely up to Palm to provide the firmware. I'm guessing this is only partially true, because Cingular obviously has to participate in the development and testing of this thing. Who knows...you can post in forums and call both companies, but ultimately they will just point fingers, I'm sure. What a drag.

It probably doesn't hurt to try to do exchanges for reasons supposedly fixed by the firmware, ie low volume, poor voice quality. Certainly doesn't do Cingular/Palmone any good that I have to constantly apologize to people and give a hearty non-recommendation of this phone solution. No doubt I would care if I were an investor, but that's especially less likely now too.
    Nice People Suck Less.