1.    #1  
    Setup my 650 last night and have everything running well. The package I have is the Data Connect 5mb for $19.99. Is that right? One lady I spoke with today at Cingular said I needed a PDA wireless plan yet their website doesn't even list one. What Cingular package do you have?
    I got my 650 last Friday and the guy set me up with MEdia Works Unlimited for $19.99. In that package, I am supposed to have 1000 text messages, unlimited multi-media messages, and 5MB a month of Media Net, which I assume is the internet.

My confusion with all these plans (MEdia Works, MEdia Net, etc) is trying to get a handle on what is what. I will primarily use my phones internet capabilities for email - checking and occasionally sending short responses. I may download an application so I can post to my blog, but those will also be short. I doubt I will browse the internet much with the phone - I have a laptop that does that just dandy and most places I want to hop on the web I can do it with that.

So that said, what is what and how do I know? Is there a place on my phone where I can check things to see how much of my MB's I've used? What does email draw on, my MediaNet or my multimedia messages or my text messages? I'm lost here.
  3.    #3  
    Your post makes me wonder. The Cingular person helping me and then the lady on the toll free number said MediaNet will not work with the Treo and that is why I am on the 5MB data connect plan.
    Well, I was told that it would work by a former Cingular employee, but that they require Treo folk to go to the PDA prices because they expect them to use more of the services than regular phone customers (teenagers excluded). That said, I really don't know either way what the deal is. I just want to have an idea of if I use Versamail to send and recieve some emails (with the limitations set), what does it count as - my 5MB or text and multimedia messages? Honestly, I'm afraid if I call they will yank my current plan and put me on the $49.99 plan. When I look at my account online, I don't have the ability to get anything that is not a PDA plan except the MEdia Net plan, but from what I'm told, that's internet only.

This is all to much information. Intentionally confusing so we have to do what the Cingular folks say. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by biggkhalil
    I just want to have an idea of if I use Versamail to send and recieve some emails (with the limitations set), what does it count as - my 5MB or text and multimedia messages?
    Anything that you DON'T access through the Messaging application is internet access. That includes, all forms of e-mail (Versamail, Chatter, Xpress Mail), Blazer, TreoAlarm, 4cast, Direactory Assistant, FlightStatus.. Almost anything you can think of.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    So essentially, everything I want to do will be coming off the 5MB? So does MEdia Net cover internet while MEdia Works covers the Messaging stuff? Or should I give up and get a palm plan?
    I got my 650 last Friday and the guy set me up with MEdia Works Unlimited for $19.99. In that package, I am supposed to have 1000 text messages, unlimited multi-media messages, and 5MB a month of Media Net, which I assume is the internet.
    NO!!
    Be very careful. Unless something suddenly changed, Cingular hasn't offered Media WORKS unlimited since February, and anyone that thought they signed up for it ended up getting charge pay per use after they used over 5MB because they really got the current "Media Works" plan which is 5MB, not unlimited internet.
    The Cingular rep probabally made a mistake.

You either got Media NET unlimited, which is internet only.
    Or you got Media Works, which only has 5MB +Text and picture messages.

Call back and verify which plan you have so you don't end up with a surprise bill at the end of the month.

As for anyone new signing up for Cingular, There are two plans.
    $40/month for the PDA unlimited data plan.
    $20/month for Media Net unlimited.
    While they'll tell you to get the $40 plan, we all get and use the $20 plan. There really is virtually no difference that you'll notice unless you are a heavy VPN user (in which case search the forums here, this is discussed a lot.)

Get Media Net Unlimited for $20/month. They may tell you it won't work with your Treo, just say "my friend has it, it works, I want to try it. I just want it for WAP sites, that's all. Please add it to my plan."
    https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase

Neither of the two Media "packages" include unlimited internet (any longer.) Once upon a time there was one, sadly it's gone.
    If you want unlimited internet data, and want text messages and pciture messages. You're only option is to sign up for:
    1) Media Net unlimited ($20/month)
    2) A Text message plan ($5-$20/month)
    3) A Picture message plan ($5 on up)
    Personally I wouldn't bother with picture messages (total waste, better off with the rare pay per use.) Get unlimited media net and the $5 or $10 text message plan.
    Total will be $25-$30.

Data Connect = Expensive Internet data plan for latop cards.
    PDA Data plan = $40 Internet data plan for PDAs
    Media Net = $20 (and lower) Internet data plan for "WAP" cell phones (but works on the Treo just as well as the PDA plan)
    *All 3 of the above are basically identical except for pricing. Simply just internet data plans. All will give you EDGE speeds. The technical difference is which 'access point' your phone uses (wap vs. isp) but that really won't matter for you except when using a PPTP VPN client such as Mergic.

Media Basic and Media Works are "Packages" that include 'Media Net' internet data and include some text messages and picture messages which are otherwise sold as a-la-carte plans.
    Last edited by taylorh; 06/28/2005 at 11:38 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Thank you very much!!! I will make the change from the Media Works to Media Net with a $5 IM plan. I have a guy who will essentially give me whatever I want, so that will work.

I appreciate the clarification.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    As for anyone new signing up for Cingular, There are two plans.
    $40/month for the PDA unlimited data plan.
    $20/month for Media Net unlimited.
    While they'll tell you to get the $40 plan, we all get and use the $20 plan. There really is virtually no difference that you'll notice unless you are a heavy VPN user (in which case search the forums here, this is discussed a lot.)

Get Media Net Unlimited for $20/month. They may tell you it won't work with your Treo, just say "my friend has it, it works, I want to try it. I just want it for WAP sites, that's all. Please add it to my plan."
    https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase
    So I got my first bill since I migrated from Media Works to Media Net.

Initially, my internet didn't work at all. After a few days, it started working like it had never been off. Almost all, with a few minor exceptions, my internet access was done using email. I just don't have the patience to do much web surfing with the Treo. That said, my bill included a charge of $19.99 for the MediaNet Unlimited (Data only), but I had $15.00 in charges for internet pay-as-I-go.

So I haven't decided if I should call and ask why I was charged (for fear they will say "well, your Treo isn't covered by that plan), whether I should just go ahead and ask them to upgrade my dataplan to one that is set up for the Treo and credit me the $19.99, or a combination of both. It will likely be the latter.

Anyhow, that's where it stands for now, as of tonight. I've been checking online daily to see what the deal is, so that was that. Now I just need to decide what to do next.

I'm just glad it was only $15 rather than some of the $900 horror stories I've read about in some of these forums.
    So I got my first bill since I migrated from Media Works to Media Net.

Initially, my internet didn't work at all. After a few days, it started working like it had never been off. Almost all, with a few minor exceptions, my internet access was done using email. I just don't have the patience to do much web surfing with the Treo. That said, my bill included a charge of $19.99 for the MediaNet Unlimited (Data only), but I had $15.00 in charges for internet pay-as-I-go.

So I haven't decided if I should call and ask why I was charged (for fear they will say "well, your Treo isn't covered by that plan), whether I should just go ahead and ask them to upgrade my dataplan to one that is set up for the Treo and credit me the $19.99, or a combination of both. It will likely be the latter.

Anyhow, that's where it stands for now, as of tonight. I've been checking online daily to see what the deal is, so that was that. Now I just need to decide what to do next.

I'm just glad it was only $15 rather than some of the $900 horror stories I've read about in some of these forums.
    In a shocking turn of events, I just logged onto my Cingular account planning on adding the MediaNet unlimited plan and checking it out myself. Here is the screen I found when I looked for available features (specific to my number):

Feature

Monthly Charge
    Select
    MEdia Net 10 mb Promo $14.99
    MEdia Net 1 mb Promo $4.99
    MEdia Net 5 mb Promo $9.99
    Text Messaging 50 $2.99
    Text Messaging 2500 $19.99
    Text Messaging 1000 $9.99
    Text Messaging 200 $4.99
    MEdia Works $19.99
    MEdia Basic $9.99
    Voice Connect $4.99

If it just me, or can ANYONE show me MediaNet Ulimited or PDAConnect in this jumble? Looks like they've closed the loop and are forcing people to come to a rep for unlimited internet service of any kind. With the "promo", which runs until the 24th of Sept, you get unlimited internet for the 1st month only. I think I might try the 10mb promo and see what happens. Oh well, you snooze, you lose...
    Last edited by dsilver; 08/05/2005 at 08:14 AM.
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by dsilver
    In a shocking turn of events, I just logged onto my Cingular account planning on adding the MediaNet unlimited plan and checking it out myself. Here is the screen I found when I looked for available features (specific to my number):

Feature

Monthly Charge
    Select
    MEdia Net 10 mb Promo $14.99
    MEdia Net 1 mb Promo $4.99
    MEdia Net 5 mb Promo $9.99
    Text Messaging 50 $2.99
    Text Messaging 2500 $19.99
    Text Messaging 1000 $9.99
    Text Messaging 200 $4.99
    MEdia Works $19.99
    MEdia Basic $9.99
    Voice Connect $4.99

If it just me, or can ANYONE show me MediaNet Ulimited or PDAConnect in this jumble? Looks like they've closed the loop and are forcing people to come to a rep for unlimited internet service of any kind. With the "promo", which runs until the 24th of Sept, you get unlimited internet for the 1st month only. I think I might try the 10mb promo and see what happens. Oh well, you snooze, you lose...
    Update: I tried it from another approach. I logged out, went shopping, and brought up media options. From this screen, I saw MediaNet unlimited. I signed up for it by giving my number, address, etc. and got the following screen:

Your package will be added within 72 hours. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Care at 1-866-CINGULAR, or dial 611 from your wireless phone.

So, we'll see...
    David
    Update: I tried it from another approach. I logged out, went shopping, and brought up media options. From this screen, I saw MediaNet unlimited. I signed up for it by giving my number, address, etc. and got the following screen:

Your package will be added within 72 hours. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Care at 1-866-CINGULAR, or dial 611 from your wireless phone.

So, we'll see...
    Thanks! I did the same thing and it looks like I'm in. How long did it take for you to get confirmation? BTW, Cingular doesn't know that I'm using a Treo because I bought it from a 3rd party. As far as they're concerned, I'm still using my Nokia 6230. I wonder if they'll be able to tell that I'm using a PDA.

So, we'll see...
    Make sure you have some confirmation from them that the package was added and keep that confirmation in case there is some 'billing error' (you get charged pay per use data.) I would also place a call to CS and ask them to confirm that you are on an unlimited data plan.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by torifile
    Thanks! I did the same thing and it looks like I'm in. How long did it take for you to get confirmation? BTW, Cingular doesn't know that I'm using a Treo because I bought it from a 3rd party. As far as they're concerned, I'm still using my Nokia 6230. I wonder if they'll be able to tell that I'm using a PDA.
    Well, it worked. Within about 6 hours, I was able to log onto cingular.com, check my features, and see MediaNet Unlimited as one of them. I have been emailing, surfing, weathering, etc., ever since. Works great!
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Make sure you have some confirmation from them that the package was added and keep that confirmation in case there is some 'billing error' (you get charged pay per use data.) I would also place a call to CS and ask them to confirm that you are on an unlimited data plan.
    Should the fact that it appears in my features be enough? That's all I have to go by...
    David
    Mine is now active and I was able to do the same! Cool beans (and rice). MediaNET unlimited appears in my charges too. I hope that I don't get nailed. Did you have to change any settings or were the wap settings that came on your phone right? (I didn't have to change anything on mine.)
    Quote Originally Posted by torifile
    Mine is now active and I was able to do the same! Cool beans (and rice). MediaNET unlimited appears in my charges too. I hope that I don't get nailed. Did you have to change any settings or were the wap settings that came on your phone right? (I didn't have to change anything on mine.)
    Good deal! Nope, no changes were necessary...
    David
    . . . or you could go with t-mobile and get unlimited internet for less than $5 per month
    Should the fact that it appears in my features be enough? That's all I have to go by...
    Yes, absolutely. I should have been more clear.
    I just didn't want anyone to assume that within 72 hours that they were on the plan without some kind of verification and end up with a $2000 data bill. It happens.
    Do yourself a favor and print out that (web) page and keep it until you've been through at least 1 billing cycle. At least that way you have something to fax them in the highly unlikely event of a billing error.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)