Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    *This will not unlock/lock your phone, this is a firmware upgrade, if you want to lock it, lock it, if you want to unlock it, then unlock it, either way has nothing to do with this thread*
    Just got done doing this myself, many thanks to Taroliw for the walk-through, feel free to ask me any question, i'll do my best to answer it, yet I'm no guru. if you I can do this anyone can. not claiming it won't screw up your phone, but worked for me.

you should know that once you do this, there is no going back to the previous version or cingular branded firmware as of now. Thanks jojocat.

PRE-INSTALL
    - Read this whole damn thing especially the very last paragraph before doing anything.
    - backup all your files with a hotsync, then if you want to be sure, go ahead and export each thing to a file.
    - what sucks is I just know some of you won't read this whole thing and will just jump right into it, I can't wait till you put the SD card back in after you have 1.28 installed and you go along with the installation, gonna make me laugh. =-) actually it won't.. just cause I know I'd probably do the same thing. lol.

I upgraded from the install that was on the phone when I bought it. 1.04 or
    1.05 I believe.

1. Your going to have to get the 1.23 upgrade first. (for an explanation of why you can't just go straight to the newest 1.28 read below). I am hosting this file on my website via a cable modem, you can easily find it elsewhere though. If my site is down sry.. but after all its a cable modem!
    http://www.codywalker.com/temp/Treo650-fw123.zip

*Q: Why can't I go straight to 1.28? Wouldn't that be easier? A: It won't let you so ha! the official ROW (unlocked) updater will not overwrite a non-ROW install.

2. I am going to teach the SD card method. So you have to get the PALM folder (contents of that zip file you just downloaded) onto your SD card. You can plug your sd card into some type of reader so you can copy files onto it, or you can just get "Card Export" and use your treo to do it.
    http://palmsource.palmgear.com/index...e&prodid=44626

3. Copy the "PALM" folder from that zip you downloaded (the whole folder, not just the contents) to your SD card, make sure NOTHING else is on your SD card except this folder.

4. Turn the radio off and remove your sim card
    5. remove the SD card
    6. take the sylus out and do a soft reset
    7. Your sim card and the SD card should NOT BE in your phone. Now place the SD card in your phone and it should pop up with some instructions, just follow them and badda boom. you are going to "HAVE TO" plug your palm in when it tells you to or it won't let you proceed.
    8. When it comes up and says select which patch or something like that to use, it will delay about 5-10 seconds before proceeding.. I think I punched the thing like 20 times, just click ok ONCE and wait, don't screw it up!

9. A progress bar will come up and let you know whats going on. after 100% it will come up with what looks like a txt document and code scrolling by, the whole thing takes about 3 min, the progress bar took about 5-8 min.

10. Don't freak out, your phone will power cycle a few times. Your phone will come back up. plug the Sim back in and turn the radio on (hold down power button). go to teh main phone screen, hit the top right "menu" key on your keypad and check the firmware, it should say 1.23. If it does continue to step 11, if it doesnt... cry.. pray... then post =-)

----- 1.23 to 1.28 ----
    go to palm one's site and download the update or you can grab it from my site (not gonna be pretty on the bandwidth, I recommend going for palmone site)
    my site... www.codywalker.com/temp/Treo_650_Updater_1_13.zip

1. Unzip the installer and run it.
    Take YOUR SIM CARD and SD CARD OUT!
    2. At this point you should have nothing on your palm, (hope ya backed up!)
    3. FOLLOW the on screen instructions, CREATE A NEW USER called "UPGRADE" (this doesn't matter what you name it, just shutup and go with upgrade and listen to a guy thats done it, muah)
    4. let it go, when it asks for power, give it power (you can unplug the hotsync cable)
    5. it will take you through the same stuff you dealt with in the first 1.23 upgrade. let it go
    6. When it comes back up you can hit cancel on your computer (its just going to try and backup stuff back to your palm, but because we used a user called "upgrade', there really isn't anything to backup.
    7. plug it in and run a hotsync, use the old user you had and make sure everything is set up right to put it back on your palm.

BADDA BING, BADDA BAM, badda 1.28....

Insert the SIM CARD and turn the radio on, check the firmware (phone, menu, phone info) and it should say 1.28, if it didn't that sucks, god be with you. =-)

*** READ THIS (I learned the hard way) ***
    NOW, go to cardexport and connect to desktop BEFORE you put that damned SD card in again, if you don't do it this way, it will try and run the files on the SD CARD. DELETE that damned PALM folder. there ya go. if your dumb and your just now reading this AFTER you put the card in and it says "plug in the power", just take the battery out and take the sim card out, then battery back in, no harm done. if your dumb and you hit ok.. good luck moron, shoulda read this first! Also, wondering why I have this in Bold? I'm a moron and stuck the SD card in and I don't like to think about the rest. Lets just say it wasn't pretty.

ok sounds good to me, I'm a total newb so maybe this is not the best howto, if you want to change it go right ahead. Thanks to all you guys who have helped me in the past. Special thanks to Taroliw for helping me do this. feel free to ask whateva questions you want...

-Cody Walker
    codywalker@gmail.com
    Last edited by codywalker; 06/23/2005 at 11:51 AM.
    Thanks for this. To be complete, I'd suggest something that spells out the following:

So far as I can tell in all of my searching here and at shadowmites site, there's no way to return to the Cingular branded firmware after upgrading to the unbranded gsm firmware. Correct?

I believe someone gave the terms/conditions of their Cingular 650 a good read and determined that a firmware change would not constitute voiding the warranty. Nonetheless, I'm leary about doing anything that won't let me return the phone to it's original state.
    Nice People Suck Less.
    wouldnt you be able to go backwards to the cingular firmware once palm releases the official cingular 1.28 firmware. even if the setup doesnt let you go from unlocked 1.28 ROW to 1.28 CNG, wouldnt u be able to flash back to 1.23 and then to 1.28 CNG?
    also, what is the advantage to the unlocked ROW version over a future 1.28 CNG version besides getting rid of cingular branding and cingular apps like xpress mail. does the unlocked 1.28 ROW version allow the manual network select (in phone app: OPTIONS >> SELECT NETWORK) by bypassing the cingular SIM block of this menu?
  5.    #5  
    I agree, Adding the "can't go back" now. thanks, credits given. =-)

-Cody
    Quote Originally Posted by lazieboss
    wouldnt you be able to go backwards to the cingular firmware once palm releases the official cingular 1.28 firmware. even if the setup doesnt let you go from unlocked 1.28 ROW to 1.28 CNG, wouldnt u be able to flash back to 1.23 and then to 1.28 CNG?
    I think that behavior is undefined. Wish I knew...
    Nice People Suck Less.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazieboss
    also, what is the advantage to the unlocked ROW version over a future 1.28 CNG version besides getting rid of cingular branding and cingular apps like xpress mail. does the unlocked 1.28 ROW version allow the manual network select (in phone app: OPTIONS >> SELECT NETWORK) by bypassing the cingular SIM block of this menu?
    Because the non-cingular update is here now! Who know how long Cingular might take to wrestle out their silly issues of their firmware peculularities, but right now my cingular treo has horrible call quality, and I could use an improvement...
    Nice People Suck Less.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jojocat
    Because the non-cingular update is here now! Who know how long Cingular might take to wrestle out their silly issues of their firmware peculularities, but right now my cingular treo has horrible call quality, and I could use an improvement...
    no lyin there.. I can't wait one day longer for this patch to come out. Its been a struggle to not go back to my flip phone with zero features just to get good voice quality. Here's to hoping this makes at least a little difference.

-Cody
    One quick question -
    I have a cingular gsm 650 that i bought on ebay unlocked. Am using it on Tmo. Has anyone performed this update successfully and still had their phone unlocked? Am just concerned that once I do the update it will somehow revert to being locked to Cingular!!
    TI Avigo --> Palm III --> Palm m505 --> HP Ipaq something or other --> Danger Sidekick (Color) --> GSM Unlocked Treo 600 --> GSM Unlocked Treo 650
    Can someone confirm that this works for an UNLOCKED Cingular Treo 650 with firmware 1.04? I expect it to work the same, but I'm nervous that I may be overlooking something. I've read that my phone will stay unlocked, but does anyone know for sure from experience?
    Sorry stacyb. I didn't see your post before asking the same question.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by stacyb
    One quick question -
    I have a cingular gsm 650 that i bought on ebay unlocked. Am using it on Tmo. Has anyone performed this update successfully and still had their phone unlocked? Am just concerned that once I do the update it will somehow revert to being locked to Cingular!!
    this update is NOT for Cingular phones. it IS FOR unlocked GSM unlocked phones. So to think that this update would somehow lock your phone back to Cingular only... In my opinion... no worries. I'd say I'm about 99% sure. but hell I've been wrong before =-) I mean it was only once and I still think I was technically right, but for some reason I ended up on the wrong side of a right argument, awww the power of females. Good luck, I'm the most paranoid person in the world and I'd go for it, worst case you just call cingular and unlock it again.

-Cody
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrtype
    Can someone confirm that this works for an UNLOCKED Cingular Treo 650 with firmware 1.04? I expect it to work the same, but I'm nervous that I may be overlooking something. I've read that my phone will stay unlocked, but does anyone know for sure from experience?
    It works if you go through the procedure, first to 1.23, then 1.28. I am on Cingular, and of course it makes the phone generic appearing, the phone app startup and shutdown now say Treo rather than Cingular. I believe you can download the Cingular "greetings" if you feel you need them.
    Quote Originally Posted by temoore
    It works if you go through the procedure, first to 1.23, then 1.28. I am on Cingular, and of course it makes the phone generic appearing, the phone app startup and shutdown now say Treo rather than Cingular. I believe you can download the Cingular "greetings" if you feel you need them.
    I don't care for any of the Cingular stuff on the phone. I use Tmobile. Just want to make sure the subsidy unlock is not affected.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Cody,

Thanks for the procedure to upgrade. I have a question that you may or may not know the answer to but I'll ask anyway. I have a Cingular locked 650 that I upgraded to 1.21, not 1.23. It works much better and, like temoore, I get the Treo logo rather than Cingular. DUN is enabled too but no other noticeable changes occured. Do you know if I can flash to 1.28 from 1.21 or will I have to upgrade to 1.23 first? Thanks for any help.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Djscoe
    Cody,

Thanks for the procedure to upgrade. I have a question that you may or may not know the answer to but I'll ask anyway. I have a Cingular locked 650 that I upgraded to 1.21, not 1.23. It works much better and, like temoore, I get the Treo logo rather than Cingular. DUN is enabled too but no other noticeable changes occured. Do you know if I can flash to 1.28 from 1.21 or will I have to upgrade to 1.23 first? Thanks for any help.
    yea same difference to upgrade... if you read what I said.. the only reason we are going from 1.04 > 1.23 > 1.28 is because we cannot go straight from 1.04>1.28, the beta firmwares don't check to see if the existing firmware is branded or not, the 1.28 does. 1.28 see's its branded and then will not work, so we have to take the phone to a nonbranded firmware first (not cingular) which you already have 1.21 or 1.23.. to be honest, I just clicked without looking on 1.23 instead of 1.21, I didn't care at all, didn't even use it when I upgraded to it for more than a few seconds to see if it was working before running the 1.28 patch. Good luck hope this helps..

-Cody
    Posted a mirror of the story and files on my blog:
    http://www.uneasysilence.com/how-to-...-unlocked-gsm/

Hope to save you some bandwith on the files.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by XistBoi
    Posted a mirror of the story and files on my blog:
    http://www.uneasysilence.com/how-to-...-unlocked-gsm/

Hope to save you some bandwith on the files.
    thanks, I keep wondering why my internet connection is DRAGGING, then I remember I was dumb enough to host that file. lol. I check my linux box and see the bandwidth SUCKING the life out of my connection. lol. Oh well, happy leaching. thanks for the mirror

-Cody
    Just to update -
    I had bought my cingular unlocked phone on ebay, using it on tmobile. I was able to successfully update to 1.28 through this method. So far, it appears everything works fine, I can make calls on tmo and all cingular branding is GONE!!
    Rock on.
    TI Avigo --> Palm III --> Palm m505 --> HP Ipaq something or other --> Danger Sidekick (Color) --> GSM Unlocked Treo 600 --> GSM Unlocked Treo 650
    Anything Bro...

I know what it is like to have a sucky connection. Thankfully my host has the bandwidth to give about 500k/sec. The only drawback on my unlimited bandwidth is I can't directly link to files.
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast