Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    someone just had to be able to find what the fix is that Sprint has applied... Why someone who knows programming doesn't put the code together and releases an update for GSM phones?

I've searched every single forum and nothing yet.
    ok, question, i am trying to update to 1.23 and it says that "the startup application for this card cant be run" anyone able to help thanks. -dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Hmm, let's see what I gained...
    • Improved memory usage
    • Improved battery life
    • BT DUN enabled
    • Improved stability
    • no new problems (*)
    Nah, no reason at all - what a waste of time that was.

(*)Ok, so touchtones sent during a call are a little longer now. It's an annoyance, but far outweighred by the gains. YMMV.
    In reading on... I see that this upgrade is a big crap shoot...

Alot of knowledgeable techs here are disputing these improvements...

At any rate, it's positively moronic of Palm/PalmOne/Palmsource (whatever) to not include basic menu fixes and up-to-date profiles for most common BT headsets... don't you think?
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I took the leap last night!!!! It worked great on my 1.04 CGB ROM ( note I had CGB, not CGR ROM) anyway followed the direction to the letter for 1.23 firmware which gave me a ROW ROM , no longer CGB related to cingular, which than allowed the palm one hot sync version ROW 1.13. Works pretty well, no problems thus far. good luck all.
    indeed a big waste of time -- what I don't understand is why can someone not put some of the new Sprint update's installation files together and make them run on a ROW ROM. It wouldn't be that hard to do I'm a programmer I KNOW!!! People are just lazy

Any ideas on how to approach something like this?
    Mixing Sprint and Cingular instructions would likely wind up with bozos putting the wrong firmware on their phone. Bad idea. This is why there are program managers to direct the programming monkeys to bang out code, not decide how it's used.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Mixing Sprint and Cingular instructions would likely wind up with bozos putting the wrong firmware on their phone. Bad idea. This is why there are program managers to direct the programming monkeys to bang out code, not decide how it's used.
    I'm not a clown
    well the thing is that there is no update for my phone like I said I have a cingular phone that I myself updated to a ROW ROM in hopes of getting it to work with my car. But it still doesnt work, BMW is only supported in a new update from Sprint! Even if somehow I got Sprint ROM installed on my phone, some people say I cant use a cingular SIM with a Sprint phone anyways... I guess they're right.

I was wondering if you can just extract the part of the update from Sprint that deals with carkit and make it available for someone with ROW phone. If someone knows how to program these things I'm thinking it should be simple enough to grab the part of the code that has the fix and get it to work for ROW phones.

any thoughts?
    Well, my supposition is that the BT code is all *firmware* and not merely ROM code. But as magic as the custom ROMs are, I've never seen anyone pick apart the firmware thus far. Sometimes, my dear... we simply must wait. If you're really that impatient, sign up on the palmsource site, download an SDK, and start cracking! After all, you're a developer, right?
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by suckstobeme
    People are just lazy

Any ideas on how to approach something like this?
    I doubt it is due to laziness. Fairly techinical issues, requiring someone with good programming skills/ Treo knowledge, some time, and a desire. Unless this person has a personal stake in it (i.e. wants the treo to work w/ BT in car), there would be no reason to spend the time and aggravation to do this unless someone wanted to pay him/ her to do it. I would not classify that as laziness.
    Even if somehow I got Sprint ROM installed on my phone, some people say I cant use a cingular SIM with a Sprint phone anyways... I guess they're right.
    Ok, I have step in here because this is crazy

Suckstobeme, YES they are right. Sprint uses totally different hardware to talk to their network (CDMA) than Cingular (GSM). There is no "SIM" card in the Sprint phone so taking your Cingular SIM trying to put it in a Sprint Treo650 is physically impossible.

Specifically let me address your Bluetooth question about why you can't simply "cut-n-paste" the Bluetooth stack or Bluetooth profiles from the Sprint ROM and put them in a Cingular phone.

The Sprint (CDMA) and the Cingular (GSM) Treo650 have totally different radio chipsets. The BT chip might be the Broadcom chip on both devices (I know it is on the GSM version) but it still has to be tuned to work the specific phone radio that the BT Chipset is on. Bluetooth radios are a very picky piece of equipment each device has to go through seperate testing to make sure they work. Since the Sprint phone came out first it is likely that PalmOne development is a little bit ahead on testing patches for the CDMA phone and unless you are a programmer who is used to working with.

Even if you could somehow extract the Bluetooth instructions from the Sprint ROM they are not going to work on the GSM phone for the very reasons I mentioned above. If it was simply a matter of "cut-n-paste" PalmOne would have released it at the same time as the updates for GSM & CDMA last month.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    If you're really that impatient, sign up on the palmsource site, download an SDK, and start cracking! After all, you're a developer, right?
    That's not actually a bad idea, I might as well do it.

How hard can it be to write a stupid program to get the palm talking to a BT carkit? I bet it's all a matter of invoking the write functions. I really don't think I have to write any of the functions from ground up, all of the features should already be built in all I have to do is to find which ones need to be invoked and what parameters cause my TREO to reset (most people say it has something to do with Speed Dials)

So if that's the case you can expect an update for GSM phone shortly, I'll only charge $50 a pop for it... j/k

If anyone wants to help feel free or maybe a new forum only for this dicussion wouldn't be a terrible idea hmm...
    is there anyway to roll back a ROW firmware and software to Cingular? I originally had Cingular (because I bought it from them) but then I followed some instruction to unbrand my phone in hopes of getting it to work with my car BT but no lucks there. Now I wanna roll it back to Cingular so I can at least have the original thing just in case.

Any thoughts on that?
    My phone resets iteself as soon as the car screen says READING DATA. This keeps happening if I let it go, over and over again. I unbranded my phone but no locks there. Same problem. does anyone know if I can use a custom ROW to go back to my orignial ROM from cingular? and then update the other updates from Cingular?
    My phone resets iteself as soon as the car screen says READING DATA. This keeps happening if I let it go, over and over again. I unbranded my phone but no locks there. Same problem. does anyone know if I can use a custom ROW to go back to my orignial ROM from cingular? and then update the other updates from Cingular?
    The only way to do this is to buy a new phone from Cingular

Didn't you read the warnings on the posts about updating to the ROW that once you do that you CAN'T GO BACK?
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by seaflipper
    The only way to do this is to buy a new phone from Cingular

Didn't you read the warnings on the posts about updating to the ROW that once you do that you CAN'T GO BACK?
    so what do you think should I go ahead and a get a new phone or should I wait and hope that there will be an update for ROW phones? Is it more likely that Cingular come up with an update first or ROW?
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    Well ROW updates are usually faster by about month or two ahead of Cingular upgrades.

At least they seem to be.
    Well, there's no problem continuing to use ROW code despite the speculation that it was going to resolve BT issues -- I'm not aware it promised to do anything of the sort, except that ROW code doesn't hide the DUN option by default, but that wasn't part of the fix itself.

In order to go back to cingular code, you'd have to (a) find an package for it [not likely] and (b) hope that the installer won't puke over the fact you have ROW code installed now [even less likely]. I imagine there must be a way to do this, or Palm wouldn't be able to flash code to the bricks to begin with... maybe call Palm support and ask if you can send it in for "repair?"
    you can't believe this. I took the car to a Cingular store today in hopes of getting "something" to work with, but nothing did! First off the guy said TREO 650 from cingulr is not gonna support your BMW then he tried three different phone. A Motorola RAZR and two BLACKBERRIES. RAZR with Cingular is listed as a compatible phone on BMW's website and that didn't work with the car. The only thing that does work is a Motorola flip flop from Cingular but that's not good enough for email and other stuff.

So now I'm beginning to wonder if somehow my bimmer is screwed up and "it" needs to be reset or whatever. Of course the dealers dont have a clue on what could be he problem but one idea that crossed my mind was what if the stupid carkit in the car thinks it's still trying to connect to the flip flop motorola phone no matter what phone we try to connect it to, because the flip flop was the first phone we used with this car before we tried anything else.

The dealer guy said there should be an option under menu and bluetooth of the car to delete all bluetooth devices but the only bluetooth option is udner settings and that's to turn on or off the bluetooth (and of course we tried that with no result)!!!

so anyone with a bimmer if could probb guide me in the right path or if could share any experices I'd appreciate it!
    Has anyone created Custom ROM's for 1.28 GSM? I tried making my own but just was not very confident with my results. The 3 custom ROMS for previous versions on Shadowmites page were very useful does anyone have one they can share that strips out some of the garbage like Realplayer etc...