Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Ok, so after reading about how much fun you guys had doing this, I gave it a shot myself with my AT&T locked Treo650.

No trouble at all going to 1.23 FW as per Cody's instructions.

1.28 was a no go for me. No the caveat here is that perhaps it was because my phone was not 100% charged and I was impatient. No matter what happened the hotsync with a fake user name wouldn't copy over the firmware update files...

So I read around a little bit and found someone at one of the mirrored sites to this thread and saw that someone suggested using 1.15 instead of 1.23 to go to 1.28. So I downgraded (and was convinced I was going to brick the dang thing) but in the end it worked just fine. It went back to 1.15 no trouble and then to 1.28 without a hitch - by that time my phone was fully charged, so I can't say 100% for sure that the 1.23 to 1.28 would not have worked - had I waited

Anyway, it's nice to be able to use BT DUN on my laptop now. It actually works like it's supposed to and all I had to do was put the right *9***1# phone number in the BT modem on my laptop and it worked right away. Got 128kb download speed at 2wire. Not bad...

Thanks to everyone for their posts and advice, I thought I would share my story for anyone else out there with a Blue Cingular 650 who might be tempted to do this too.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Can someone please explain to a simple bloke, why are we talking about update 1.28 and yet the updater to get there is 1.13? Have I missed something?

Easily confused

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anroberts
    Can someone please explain to a simple bloke, why are we talking about update 1.28 and yet the updater to get there is 1.13? Have I missed something?

Easily confused

Thanks

1.13 is the Software, and 1.28 is the Firmware.
    If you run the updater, you will have the above.
    [tony]
    Thanks Tony, have ready this forum till Im sleepy. As a newby Im a bit nervous about ending up with a brick. But there are enough sucess stories here for me to give it ago.

Thanks to all.

Alan
    Good luck man.
    [tony]
    Are you "installing" the 44 files from the updater to a different user per the PalmOne (less than 15MB available) instructions? If not, you may be trying to hotsync more data from your original profile than will fit, hence the error.
    nother sucess story here.

Frimware: 1.8
    Software: Treo650-1.13-ROW

Unlocked Cingular and all branding removed

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

Alan
    I'm trying to do the upgrade but I couldn't find my Palm Desktop Software for Cingular CD (I change the notebook and haven't installed it yet). Anyone can help me with this? Where can I go to download? I checked palmOne site already. They said that 'please use the CD that comes with the box' which I have none at the moment. Thanks.
  9.    #129  
    UGH!!!

I have NO problem answering your questions, none at all.. but I have received approximately 10-15 emails asking... "will this unlock my phone as well?" Read the posts people. Honestly I think that question has been answering probably 3-5 times in this thread alone. If its not in this thread then post about it, if you want you can even email me too, I'll have no problem doing the best I can to help you out, but just cause your too lazy to read, doh.. now that just makes we wanna say... supercagafragalistic.... #$%#@ =-) (rant over).

-Cody
    Cody,

No good deed goes unpunished.
    I guess the real question here is why?

With the minimal benefits reported here on this forum... with the new problems "after 1.28" being talked about... why on earth put yourself through that?
    Quote Originally Posted by BTman
    With the minimal benefits reported here on this forum... with the new problems "after 1.28" being talked about... why on earth put yourself through that?
    Hmm, let's see what I gained...
    • Improved memory usage
    • Improved battery life
    • BT DUN enabled
    • Improved stability
    • no new problems (*)
    Nah, no reason at all - what a waste of time that was.

(*)Ok, so touchtones sent during a call are a little longer now. It's an annoyance, but far outweighred by the gains. YMMV.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I also upgraded 2 of our Treo 650 handsets at the office to an unbranded 1.28 and it seemed to help my reception in marginal areas. My other co-workers wanted to keep their Cingular branding, and its buggy firmware because they liked the orange stickman and the nice Cingular customizations throughout.. go figure!

Thank you Cody for taking the time to put all this together. Your walkthru was both thorough and fun to read.
  14.    #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlane1
    I also upgraded 2 of our Treo 650 handsets at the office to an unbranded 1.28 and it seemed to help my reception in marginal areas. My other co-workers wanted to keep their Cingular branding, and its buggy firmware because they liked the orange stickman and the nice Cingular customizations throughout.. go figure!

Thank you Cody for taking the time to put all this together. Your walkthru was both thorough and fun to read.
    lol, thanks man, I really appreciate the response from both you and the community, good to know that good posts get credit, thanks for the ego boost! I like this forum community alot.

-Cody
    good day...got the unlock code from cingular on the first call (guy was somewhat clueless, but i got the code emailed) and then i proceeded to install both 1.23 and 1.28 per codywalker's excellent instructions. somewhat of a pain getting some of my apps re-installed, but no problems so far. thanks codywalker.
    Two main reasons I'm updating this weekend to generic GSM since Cingular still hasn't released..

Memory and ECHO. The echo drives my wife nuts, and I have heard several times that it is gone after the update. Plus the volumes might be better now, at least I hope so, I can barely hear anyone when I'm in the car.
    It was mentioned in several posts here but never resolved: What causes the phone to keep Cingular 1.04 software when upgrading to the 1.23 firmware?

I upgraded my phone to 1.23 ROW a while ago, and didn't notice that the software was still the Cingular version. I lost XPressMail and the Cingular-branded Phone screens, yet the Official ROW update won't work on my phone since it still sees Cingular software.

Any way I can re-flash 1.23 and ensure that it replaces the software as well? Anyone else found a fix for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by serendipity
    It was mentioned in several posts here but never resolved: What causes the phone to keep Cingular 1.04 software when upgrading to the 1.23 firmware? Any way I can re-flash 1.23 and ensure that it replaces the software as well? Anyone else found a fix for this?
    I have read some reports of this as well. It is important to point out that you can apply 1.15, 1.21, OR 1.23 to accomplish bypassing the ROW check in 1.28 for your branded phone. I have read that some have reverted to 1.21 and had success there, where 1.23 seemed not to replace the CNG code with ROW.
    Welp, I just flashed to 1.15 and now I have 1.06-ROW as the software version I'll go ahead and throw 1.28 on there now.
    Another satisfied upgrader! Thanks Cody!
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast