Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by codywalker
    Taroliw did it that way, ask him.. take it away taroliw =-)

-Cody
    I appreciate the help, but I got it done finally. I just dragged the 44 files over to the Missing Sync install (created a dummy user just in case) and it worked fine.
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcollett
    Your right this is totally relevant to this tread, but I need to understand this before I can upgrade.

I currently receive email at bob@company.com. These emails are downloaded and removed from the company.com pop server and stored in my outlook on my desktop. This happens everyday many times a day. There are removed from company.comís pop server because we have purchased limited space on this pop server. Therefore, the only place I can see my emails is in my desktopís outlook inbox.

Plus, company.com will only send emails in my name from my ip address. Yes, you are right it is EZ to do the reply thing.

My problem is reading my emails that have already been downloaded to my desktops outlook.

Does that help?

Is there another app out there that will let me look at my outlook inbox on my desktop?

aha... ok.. in short, not that I know of. PALM VNC is a freeware remote desktop prog. Maybe that could help? lata.
    What if my treo is locked with an European provider? Could be used the 1.23 -> 1.28 Cingular procedure?

My problem is reading my emails that have already been downloaded to my desktops outlook.

Does that help?

Is there another app out there that will let me look at my outlook inbox on my desktop?
    You need to tell Outlook on your Desktop to "Leave mail on server". This way you can also view it from another computer or your Treo 650.
    Does xpressmail still work?? I need it, I think. I can only send out going mail through my works POP3 from my works IP address. Or is there another mail app. that will route my outgoing emails through my work IP address?
    XPressMail will NOT be present if you follow these upgrade instructions... it is a customized application that you get with the CNG software. ROW does not contain it. So, unless you somehow get your hands on it (or a customized 1.13-ROW that has it) then you should not upgrade using this updater.
    Quote Originally Posted by codywalker
    Taroliw did it that way, ask him.. take it away taroliw
    (( Would have replied to this sooner, but was at an art auction when folks were sending me messages.... ))

My original post on this subject was in the original GSM thread, at http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&postcount=65 . But what it boils down to is: (1) copy the 44 files from the archive to RAM (I used SD as the transport medium), and (2) run the DeviceCustomizer (which will appear in the launcher after you do (1) ).

That's pretty much it. I haven't looked at start.prc from the SD installer for the beta firmware, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that all it actually does is launch the device customizer. I would not expect that if we just dumped start.prc and the 44 files into one directory that it would just work, but it might be an interesting thing to try. Or perhaps sorting the 44 files into the same directory structure as the SD install from say 1.23 and see if it's happy. Part of me would not want to try it without being sure I was OK with a brick. Copying the files and running the devicecustomizer by hand wasn't so bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by mh8
    I am interested in doing this process with my Cingular 650 but I have a mac, can I use card export with a mac?? Is there a similar mac program?? is there a way around this step?? Any tips would be great,Thanks-M
    See http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&postcount=65

I may not have said it in the post, but I was using a Mac for that -- though I am multi-platform I generally loathe windows.

To summarize that post: (1) download the updater, (2) copy the 44 files (1) contains to the SD card (anywhere, but I'd suggest a folder unto itself), (3) use a file manager (zlauncher, filez or similar) to copy those 44 to RAM, and (4) go to the launcher and run the DeviceCustomizer that you will see there. The rest will be quite familiar to you if you've previously used the SD method for the beta firmware.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewildman
    I appreciate the help, but I got it done finally. I just dragged the 44 files over to the Missing Sync install (created a dummy user just in case) and it worked fine.
    Yes, the hotsync method works fine, too
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    XPressMail will NOT be present if you follow these upgrade instructions... it is a customized application that you get with the CNG software. ROW does not contain it. So, unless you somehow get your hands on it (or a customized 1.13-ROW that has it) then you should not upgrade using this updater.
    Xpress mail is a free download from Cingular, so you can get it back if you want to.
    i know zero about phones but know I dislike Cingular's customer support and service. I followed the instructions in this thread and it has worked like a charm. Everything seems to be working well, no dreaded re-starts and all my programs work. Sound quality also seems better.

thanks,

Bill
    This went very smoothly for me. Just one question, this just updates the firmware, my device is still locked correct?

Correct.
  13.    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    This went very smoothly for me. Just one question, this just updates the firmware, my device is still locked correct?
    yup
    Sorry if this question has already been answered - but do the combination of these upgrades actually remove the subsidy lock from a Cingular/ATT-WS Treo 650 or not? If so, I'd take the risk, if not, I'll probably wait for the official upgrade.
    Well, that was the question *just* asked by FrozenCode. Flashing the firmware and ROM does not in any way affect subsidy locks, locked or unlocked.
    Alright, TAROLIW is an ablsolute genius. He helped me with the whole process, and now I'm running 1.28FW and 1.13SW. Had 12.MB of palm memory free, now have 15.2MB. Calls are alot clearer(other end no longer hears echo), better signal, and got rid of those useless apps.

I'll post back when I find out more about it.
    [tony]
    Quote Originally Posted by GIS_guy
    Xpress mail is a free download from Cingular, so you can get it back if you want to.
    Cingular rep told me Xpress mail was a paid subscriptioin product.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonydrone
    Alright, TAROLIW is an ablsolute genius. He helped me with the whole process, and now I'm running 1.28FW and 1.13SW. Had 12.MB of palm memory free, now have 15.2MB. Calls are alot clearer(other end no longer hears echo), better signal, and got rid of those useless apps.

I'll post back when I find out more about it.
    I have new Treo 650 cingular, but no Sd card. can i still update firmware?

It has reset from day 1 when I use versa mail, so switched to chatter. then I started having voice mail problems, where it did not recognize me. It also seems to freeze when it is trying to do two things at once. But the biggest problem is that the phone will not stay on. it shuts down by itself and says goodbye. I have no 3rd party programs, except chatter. So I perfromed a hard reset, and now i have nothing, and the phone still shuts down. is it worth a firmware upgrade, or just use the whole thing for a doorstop and get something else. I've had it for only 3 weeks and nothing but problems. have talked to Cingular (about 20 times) and Palm and neither said anything about firmware.
    You should definitely give FW upgrade a shot. All though my treo wasnt that bad to begin with, it is much better with the update. You will definitely need an SD card, and card reader.

Quote Originally Posted by tadlow
    I have new Treo 650 cingular, but no Sd card. can i still update firmware?

It has reset from day 1 when I use versa mail, so switched to chatter. then I started having voice mail problems, where it did not recognize me. It also seems to freeze when it is trying to do two things at once. But the biggest problem is that the phone will not stay on. it shuts down by itself and says goodbye. I have no 3rd party programs, except chatter. So I perfromed a hard reset, and now i have nothing, and the phone still shuts down. is it worth a firmware upgrade, or just use the whole thing for a doorstop and get something else. I've had it for only 3 weeks and nothing but problems. have talked to Cingular (about 20 times) and Palm and neither said anything about firmware.
    [tony]
    Quote Originally Posted by tonydrone
    You should definitely give FW upgrade a shot. All though my treo wasnt that bad to begin with, it is much better with the update. You will definitely need an SD card, and card reader.
    So there's no way to do this clever 1.23 -> 1.28 update without an SD card + reader?
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast