Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tonydrone
    Ok, same thing happens to me, but I can't figure it out. I've extracted the .sit files correctly, am I not putting them on the SDC correctly?
    If you have set up the SD properly, this you will see the following contents:

Code:
      /PALM
        start.prc
        DeviceCustomizer/
          Scenarios/
            ROWReleaseSD.pdb
          Treo650.ROW/
            ace-htc* (2 files)
            ace-ipl* (8 files)
            ace-palmos* (4 files)
            ace-spl* (2 files)
            Firmware* (11 files)
            RomUpdaterApp.prc
          DeviceCustomizer* (6 files)
          sa.dat
    If the contents aren't like this under the PALM folder (at the base of the SD filesystem) then it won't work. I've also heard it advised that *nothing else* be in the PALM folder with this stuff... even if you have to use a smaller/older SD card than the one you usually have in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    If you have set up the SD properly, this you will see the following contents:

Code:
      /PALM
        start.prc
        DeviceCustomizer/
          Scenarios/
            ROWReleaseSD.pdb
          Treo650.ROW/
            ace-htc* (2 files)
            ace-ipl* (8 files)
            ace-palmos* (4 files)
            ace-spl* (2 files)
            Firmware* (11 files)
            RomUpdaterApp.prc
          DeviceCustomizer* (6 files)
          sa.dat
    If the contents aren't like this under the PALM folder (at the base of the SD filesystem) then it won't work. I've also heard it advised that *nothing else* be in the PALM folder with this stuff... even if you have to use a smaller/older SD card than the one you usually have in there.
    thank you, I'm now successfuly at 1.23(not sure how though).
    Now how do I get the 1.15 updater on the SD card.

I feel like an *****, but I'm really not, this is just the 1st time I've done this.
    Ans I'm doing it on a mac, so It's a little different for me.
    [tony]
    Quote Originally Posted by tonydrone
    I feel like an *****, but I'm really not, this is just the 1st time I've done this.
    Ans I'm doing it on a mac, so It's a little different for me.
    I think that's why this thread got started... to summarize the steps necessary to get up to 1.28/1.13ROW. I think everyone's nervous the first time they run a firmware patch on their Treo (I was)... waiting with baited breath to see if it would survive the procedure. Seems old hat now. I have been pleased with the number of updates that have been available, even if most of the steps have been unofficial releases.

I'm on a Mac, too... in some ways I think it made it easier. I remember reading a lot of horror stories from people who couldn't quite figure out how to work with an SD card on their PC. Not that it's any harder, but I guess it seemed to require more effort or something.
    Can you please show a screen shot of how the 1.15 is supposed to be installed. I'm stuck at 1.23 and can't figure it out.
    [tony]
    1.15? You mean TreoUpdater-1.13, which delivers 1.13 ROW software and 1.28 firmware? You can read all there is on that one at PalmOne's site.
    First off, THANKS CODY for the instructions for my locked Cingular phone.

OK, I'm upgrading a LOCKED CINGULAR treo 650, firmware "01.05", software "Treo650-1.04-CNG", hardware "A". Wish me luck...

Note: I left the Treo 650 plugged in to the power and hotsynch cable throughout the entire process.

Downloaded the Treo650-fw123.zip update from Cody's server (THANKS).
    Downloaded the Treo_650_updater_1_13.zip from PalmOne.
    Extracted everything in the 1.23 zip file into a PALM directory.
    Inserted my 128K SD card into a reader and deleted EVERYTHING on it.
    Copied the 1.23 PALM directory onto an empty SD card.
    Followed Cody's instructions - 1.23 updater popped up like it was supposed to.

When I turned the phone on after installing 1.23 upgrade, it said "Treo" instead of "Cingular"; it connected to the Cingular network. Phone info now says:
    Firmware: 01.23; Software: Treo650-1.06/5052/0; Hardware: A

Turned off the phone, took out SIM and SD cards (because I read Cody's last paragraph first).

Ran Treo_650_Updater_1_13.exe; Oops, I forgot to follow the instructions on the PalmOne site about creating a BLANK USER PROFILE. Stopped 1.28 upgrade and followed PalmOne's "Create a New, Blank Usesr Profile".

Ran Treo_650_Updater_1_13.exe a second time. During hotsynch operations with my "Updater" profile, I received msgs about Outlook synch problems. I ignored them because I don't care about this profile's data.

After the 1.28 upgrade my phone info says:
    Firmware: 01.28, Software: Treo650-1.13-ROW, Hardware: A

But I can't seem to hotsynch with my old user. It just defaults to the new user I created during the 1.28 install...

Deleted the old 1.23 files from my SD card. DID A HARD RESET. Reinserted the SD Card.
    Did a Hotsynch, and finally I was able to select my original user name and recover my data to the Treo 650.

I'm hoping my phone won't freeze quite as often now. We'll see.
    Another good example of why I hate Hotsync for installing software. The easiest way to prevent sync on the dummy user profile would have been to delete the profile, BTW. In Windows you do this using Palm Desktop (Tools menu, choose Users). Select dummy user and hit delete.

It is good you deleted the updater files from SD, as re-inserting it would kick off the installer again. Downgrade? Why sure!
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrtype
    Codywalker, thank you so much for the instructions on how to do this. I'm back up and running with the new upgrade. So far everything is working just fine. I'll if anything unusual comes up.
    np, thanks for the props =-)

-Cody
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by screwhead
    Do you have to take your sim out, mine is stuck because of the old card trick?
    you might get away with just turning the radio off, but I'd take it out to be safe so it doesn't get into a loop.

-Cody
  10.    #50  
    you crazy kids took down my CABLE modem today, apparently it looked like I was getting a DOS attack, my guess is that link snuck out to alternate websites. Oh well... after suffering through using PDAnet to connect and write this, I'm gonna try to plug my cable modem back in now. Thanks for the credit guys, I just hope this damn thing fixes most of the errors that make day2day use hardly tollerable.

-Cody
    Quote Originally Posted by codywalker
    you crazy kids took down my CABLE modem today, apparently it looked like I was getting a DOS attack, my guess is that link snuck out to alternate websites. Oh well... after suffering through using PDAnet to connect and write this, I'm gonna try to plug my cable modem back in now. Thanks for the credit guys, I just hope this damn thing fixes most of the errors that make day2day use hardly tollerable.

-Cody
    I tried diverting as much traffic as I could for you... Ill leave the article up as long as you want.
    When I attempt to install 1.23, after putting the SD card in with just the 1.23 "Palm" folder on it, I get the following error on my locked Cingular 650: "General Error: 0x50070201" with an "ok" prompt, which cancels any further action. Any thoughts?
    Updated using the documented 1.05 -> 1.23 -> 1.28 process on an unlocked (SIM card) Cingular branded phone. No problems what so ever during updating. Found out I had better bluetooth volume and very fast application switching. Memory went from 7.8 MB free to 18 MB.

But then it happened. While setting up my trusted bluetooth connection to my desktop, my treo reset. God, the pain and agony!! I thought this was over.

Anyone with similar experience?
    While taking a picture............reset.

Oooooohhhhhhhh darn it. I had such high hopes.
    WTF, while checking installed application memory size,,,, RESET!
    While checking my email using Versamail.................well you know :-(

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?
    Ok, this is my last post. To save you all time and some electrons, you all can just assume my updated Treo is reseting every 5 minutes or when I look at it in an unfriendly way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hark
    When I attempt to install 1.23, after putting the SD card in with just the 1.23 "Palm" folder on it, I get the following error on my locked Cingular 650: "General Error: 0x50070201" with an "ok" prompt, which cancels any further action. Any thoughts?
    And the structure of what's there looks like post 41 in this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Treomethis
    Updated using the documented 1.05 -> 1.23 -> 1.28 process on an unlocked (SIM card) Cingular branded phone. No problems what so ever during updating. Found out I had better bluetooth volume and very fast application switching. Memory went from 7.8 MB free to 18 MB.

But then it happened. While setting up my trusted bluetooth connection to my desktop, my treo reset. God, the pain and agony!! I thought this was over.

Anyone with similar experience?
    Uh, no... this seems really quite atypical. Can you tell us what Phone Info says your firmware and software version is?
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    Uh, no... this seems really quite atypical. Can you tell us what Phone Info says your firmware and software version is?
    Phone Info:

Firmware: 01.28
    Software: Treo650-1.13-ROW
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast