Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mingkee
    about UMTS, sprint is about to launch EV-DO, the ACTUAL speed is 1Mb max
    I have seen Sprints EVDO in a test area in LA, and it doesn't even come close to 1mb. It has been peaking around 600K, and pretty consistent at 200-300k. This is fast, and I would love to have it, but what price are they going to charge? That is the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84
    when i say "compare" im saying its not a close comparison. im not telling everyone else not to actually compare the two. in my experience with both carriers, tmobile is a joke and cingular is great. thats it!
    Listen the only joke is the amount of consideration you have for the fact that everyone else is not you. The statement "To each their own" comes to mind. I, for one, am a happy T-Mobile user with zero issues as of this writing. I, like many others, did my homework. I tried each carrier for a week and stuck with what worked best for me. Since then whenever people ask me which carrier I think they should go with, I stay out of it. It not up to me to decide or suggest any singe one. If they want comparative info thats different...
    Not sure if it's just me, but a lot of threads on TC these days become so polarized so quickly. What gives?

I was a T-Mobile customer for 1.5 years (for my Treo 600 stint and the first month of my Treo 650), and have been with Cingular since March. Incidentally, I was also with Sprint for two years with the Treo 300.

I liked T-mobile for a lot of reasons, including incredibly friendly customer service, awesome rate plans, $20 unlimited data, and 99 cents/minute calls in Europe. Reception/quality was generally good when I could get a signal. Unfortunately, coverage was best only in metro areas, and further, really only passable outside or in small or thin buildings. I work deep in the bowels of an office building in Manhattan, and I almost NEVER got a signal with T-mobile.... despite complaining twice during my tenure. Similarly, in the suburbs, coverage was spotty, although it improved substantially over time.

I've been reasonably happy with Cingular since I switched. Excellent coverage, especially where T-mobile failed me -- inside urban buildings, and out in the boonies. However, I get tons of dropped calls in certain neighborhoods. This is annoying, but I'm willing to be patient as Cingular merges their networks, and at least being able to make a call, even if it gets dropped, is the lesser of two evils. Prices are reasonable -- price per minute is nowhere near as good as Tmobile, but I could never use all the minutes Tmobile gave me anyway. I'm actually paying a bit less, factoring in the 14% employee discount Cingular offers with my employer. Data cost is also comparable to T-mobile: $20 for unlimited Medianet + $10 for 1000 SMS (Cingular), vs. $20 for unlimited Internet + $7 for 1000 SMS (T-mobile). Plus I get EDGE in NYC -- ~80kpbs, compared to ~20kbps GPRS. Customer service has been variable. Europe costs $1.29/min, which is a bit more expensive, but I'll deal.

When I had it, Sprint was all-around decent, although I hated how everything always sounded so muffled, even if it was clear (I'm probably not describing it well). And the battery life was **** poor, and would drain especially quickly in subways (this was not just limited to the Treo). CS was, as many have pointed out here, also unbearable.

Finally, I've not tried Verizon but everyone I know who has it basically raves about the reception, while slamming the poor selection of phones.

Just my unsolicited 2 cents...
    Verizon and Cingular are the only two services with a coverage area worth paying for. that's why the are the only two I'd ever recommend to anyone.
    TMobile and Sprint have have digital coverage in amd around cities only, not in rural areas. Yes, there's roaming, but just because there is compatible roaming coverage in an area doesn't mean the primary provider will allow you to roam there, therefore you can not depend on it as your coverage area.
    I'm just going on the coverage maps...which I take with a grain of salt, but the maps show night and day coverage.

Spring vs. Cingular EDGE isn't much different in speed, not enough to spend time comparing them. I'll take wider coverage and slightly slower speed vs. limited coverage and slightly faster speed.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Verizon and Cingular are the only two services with a coverage area worth paying for. that's why the are the only two I'd ever recommend to anyone.
    TMobile and Sprint have have digital coverage in amd around cities only, not in rural areas. Yes, there's roaming, but just because there is compatible roaming coverage in an area doesn't mean the primary provider will allow you to roam there, therefore you can not depend on it as your coverage area.
    I'm just going on the coverage maps...which I take with a grain of salt, but the maps show night and day coverage.

Spring vs. Cingular EDGE isn't much different in speed, not enough to spend time comparing them. I'll take wider coverage and slightly slower speed vs. limited coverage and slightly faster speed.
    I live in an area where they pump the sunshine in on the weekends. When I roam, I roam with Verizon, and very rarely do I roam. I drive by fields of hay, cow pastures, and mountains. I can sit on my couch and stream Di.FM from my phone @ 96kbps.

Sprint doesn't lack coverage here in Alabama.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12