Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geneld
    Hey - I've got an AT&T sim using 1.04CNB software and I can get to the Select Nework menu. It shows two cingular and one T-Mobile network. I've also got the option to use "Automatic Mode" - does that cause my phone to automatically select the best tower ie ENS?

Thanks
    Does anyone know how the Automatic Mode works? Is that the standard option that strongly prefers Cingular Orange towers or does that try to find the best signal?

Like many people here I also have three Cingulars listed both at home and at work. I believe the first is Cingular Orange, the second Cingular Blue (former AT&T) and the third (which my phone refuses to connect to) is T-Mobile.

Unfortunatly I get a better signal on the first Cingular (orange) at home and a better signal on the second Cingular (blue) at work. I'm hoping that the Automatic Mode will pick the best signal because originally 90% of the time the phone would lock itself onto the orange signal while I was at work. If I can't do it with Automatic Mode then that means I'll have to manually switch twice a day... and that will just suck.

Brett
    I dont know if it works, i dont have enough signals around here to try this out. I will have to wait till i make a trip to t-town. Maybe somebody else can try this out for us.
    Cingular Branded Treo 650
    Firmware: 1.51
    Software: 1.13

----
    JK
    Can cingular roam on any T-mobile Towers??

----
    JK
  4.    #144  
    it depends where you are. In NY, you can still roam onto Tmobile. See the difference here is that NY never had an ORANGE network. The Orange network here WAS tmobile. Then when cingular bought blue, they stopped using Tmobile and dumped everyone onto the newly acquired BLUE towers. However, if you have had a Cingular Orange network in your area, i would assume the tmobile roaming would be off because now you have Cingular BLUE and ORANGE to choose from, why should u get Tmobile. It would be just too costly for Cingular and I can see why they would stop roaming agreements with tmobile
    i actually have 4 different selections...all saying cingular..guess orange, blue, t-mo...and? what would the other be?
    Many thanks for the elegant hack. It's great to have the freedom to manually select the network on my unlocked ROW Cingular T650.
    Quote Originally Posted by achap
    i actually have 4 different selections...all saying cingular..guess orange, blue, t-mo...and? what would the other be?
    It could be some small time, local cell phone provider.
    Can you connect to it? If you can i think that means Cingular has a roaming agreement with them and that might narrow down who it is.

----
    JK
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnytk36
    It could be some small time, local cell phone provider.
    Can you connect to it? If you can i think that means Cingular has a roaming agreement with them and that might narrow down who it is.
    No, i can only connect to the first 2 like everyone else...cant roam on t-mo either

would the fact that im still using a 32k sim matter in any of this?
    Quote Originally Posted by achap
    would the fact that im still using a 32k sim matter in any of this?
    I don't know enough about the difference of the 32k and 64k sim cards to answer that.

Maybe somebody else can take a stab at the question?? lazieboss?

----
    JK
    I found something out thats strange today. The fist time i used my external antenna with the "select network" feature it timed out. I did a hard reset( i had been testing some apps in ram so i figured maybe something there was doing something). After the hard reset it would take a long time( 60 seonds) to find the networks, but did find them. When i removed the antenna it would find the networks in 7 seconds with just the regular T650 antenna.

What could be causing this? The long coax cable?

----
    JK
    This couldn't have come at a better time. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, currently roaming in Rotterdam, on to Brazil next. I downloaded the .prc & am no longer playing the 'what service am I on now?' game! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I downloaded the prc file to my SD card and installed it to the Ram. I also got a message that such file already exists and if I wanted to replace it and I chose "yes". I even did a soft reset but nothing happened. I dont get the choose network option when I power up the radio. Did I do something wrong?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    and now when I power up the radio, the network search takes a lot longer
  14.    #154  
    what software are you running?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    CingulAR UNLOCKED 1.28 fw
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    OK. My mistake. Select network is there. I thought it would just pop up on the Radio power up. Its under menu-options. correct?
    I get two Cingulars at home and number 1 gives me 4 bars in fron of the building and number 2 gives me 4 bars in the back of the building. Keoool.
    Search Band: Do I need to set it at "Auto" or "900/1800" or "850/1900" ?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    When I do a search network. Does this lock into a certain Tower? What happens when I travel away from that tower? Does the phone start searching for a stronger tower automatically or do I need to do another network search if I am travelling?
    if you change the auto setting make sure u got to the 850/1900 side the 900/1800 is for europe
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateen
    When I do a search network. Does this lock into a certain Tower? What happens when I travel away from that tower? Does the phone start searching for a stronger tower automatically or do I need to do another network search if I am travelling?
    It doesn't lock you to a particular tower, but it does appear to lock you to a particular network. Most Cingular users will be able to use the Cingular Orange (original Cingular) towers as well as Cingular Blue (former AT&T) towers. In my case, when I do a "Select network" I get three options. (Unfortunately, to make things confusing, they are all labeled Cingular.) I believe the first option is Cingular Orange, the second Cingular Blue, and the third T-Mobile. It won't let me connect to the third network.

For me, I get a better signal if I select the first network at home. However, at work I get a better signal if I select the second. If I select the second network at work, but then drive home (well out of the range of the tower I was using at work) I still get a signal at home, but it's a weaker signal than if I had the first network selected. (Hopefully that makes sense)

The 'automatic' mode seems to strongly prefer Cingular Orange towers (just like the phone normally worked before this hack). In other words, if I have it on automatic I'll get a nice strong Cingular Orange signal at home, but I'll still get a weak Cingular Orange signal at work, even though I know there is a stronger Cingular Blue signal available. This hack allows me to manually select the Cingular Blue network to get the stronger signal at work. I wish it worked automatically, but at least now I have the option

Brett
    I believe you're right on the money.

Like you, I have excellent Orange and mediocre Blue coverage at home, and vice versa at work. In fact, the Orange signal at work is so weak that sometimes the Treo can't detect it at all, and switches to Blue at four-bar strength. That's great, but it really chaps my quick when the Orange signal manages to seep through the walls again and the phone immediately latches on to it even though it's only at one-bar strength at best.

The manual network selection is a big step in the right direction, but the ultimate solution (for me at least) would be for Cingular just to stop playing silly buggers and let the phone use whichever - Orange or Blue - is stronger at any given time.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast