Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    I'll chime in here.
    I downloaded the PhoneApp_enUS.prc that johnnytk36 posted.
    It also works for me. I can now use 'Select Network,' and in my case I see two Cingular networks.

NOTE: I have a PalmOne "unbranded" unlocked (ROW.) This appearently doesn't work right on the Cingular mode.

1) Cingluar (the 1900 Cingluar/TMobile shared towers)
    2) Cingular (the former AT&T wireless at 850)
    I'm able to select either network and use it.
    I popped in my TMobile pre-paid SIM just out of curiosity, and it still works fine. However with the (non-hacked) phone overlay the TMobile SIM has access to select network, I just wanted to make sure nothing broke and it didn't.
    From the TMobile SIM I see:
    1) T-Mobile (the 1900 Cingluar/TMobile shared towers)
    2) Cingular Network (the former AT&T wireless at 850)
    My TMobile SIM will refuse to log on to the Cingular tower... which is expected.

I'd like to hear the details how this was done! Thank you Johnny!
    -Taylor

PS. Oh yeah. All I did to install it is:
    1. Copy it to my SD card using an SD card reader.
    2. Used Teal Mover (or Resco Explorer) to copy it from the SD card to RAM.
    3. Press the phone button to re-load the phone app, and that's it. No need to power down the phone or re-set.
    To remove:
    1. Just use Teal Mover or Resco Explorer to delete the file from RAM. You'll might see two identical ones in RAM (depends on your explorer program) but don't worry, you can't delete the one in ROM accidentally.
    Last edited by taylorh; 07/22/2005 at 12:41 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I downloaded this using Blazer and copied over over to the Palm using FileZ. Now my Treo is stuck in a reset loop. Any ideas how I can fix this?

I'm using a Cingular Branded Treo 650 with the original firmware.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdan333
    Aha... I think I figured it out. I got the Network Select option to work on my Cingular FW1.05 phone with the overlay in RAM. The bad news: I only get one network option (Cingular). The good news: I get a pretty good signal with that network anyway.

I also have a stock Cingular 650 with FW1.05 and when I install this by copying it from my SD card into RAM I end up having to do a hard reset. I gets stuck during boot on an error saying Unable to load application due to missing localization information or something like that.

Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu
    I downloaded this using Blazer and copied over over to the Palm using FileZ. Now my Treo is stuck in a reset loop. Any ideas how I can fix this?

I'm using a Cingular Branded Treo 650 with the original firmware.
    Did you try holding the UP direction on the 5-way pad? This prevents the phone from loading apps during boot-up so you can delete it.
    (This method is posted somehwere on the Palmone Treo 650 support site if you want more info.)

I don't know if it'll work in this case since it's not a 3rd party app.
    ALso, try removing your SIM card, maybe it'll see there's no SIM and not try to turn on the phone??

I found the text from the support site. Try this:
    "Sometimes a system reset fails to break out of a loop. These extra steps may break the loop without having to perform a full hard reset.

Perform the first part of a hard reset but stop when you see the option to press UP to erase all data.

Then perform a system reset as described above but make sure to depress the RESET pin first and then the UP button; otherwise you will complete the hard reset. Be careful! Don't accidentally perform a hard reset, or you will lose all data on your device. "

From: http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...,Case=obj(887)
    Last edited by taylorh; 07/22/2005 at 12:45 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Yeah I ended up doing a Hard Reset to get it working again. Does this hack not work with the Cingular Branded Treos with the original firmware?
    Back on Post #114 it appears he also had the same problem on the Cingular phone.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    To everybody that is having problems using the cingular firmware,

I made this hack off of the 1.13row. I don't have a cingular version of that file to make a hack off of it.

Here is the link to the thread i posted for how i did it.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=91143
    Cingular Branded Treo 650
    Firmware: 1.51
    Software: 1.13

----
    JK
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnytk36
    To everybody that is having problems using the cingular firmware,

I made this hack off of the 1.13row. I don't have a cingular version of that file to make a hack off of it.

Here is the link to the thread i posted for how i did it.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=91143

I uploaded an untouched, original 1.05/1.04-CNG Phone_enUS.prc file in the referenced thread above. I hope this helps.

Thanks, Fin.
    CNG Locked 650.

Life is a lesson, you learn it when you're through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finhead
    I uploaded an untouched, original 1.05/1.04-CNG Phone_enUS.prc file in the referenced thread above. I hope this helps.

Thanks, Fin.
    I saw that thanks.

I'm at work right now so I can't doing anything with it. I'll be home about 7 CT and ill try to hack that for the people still using the cingular firmware.

Thanks for everybody's feedback. This is just one feature that makes having the cingualr service more bareable.

----
    JK
    does anyone know if we can use GPRS if we use the other towers? Will we get charged or whatever?

This is great, i think one of the best discoveries ever!
    Hey - I've got an AT&T sim using 1.04CNB software and I can get to the Select Nework menu. It shows two cingular and one T-Mobile network. I've also got the option to use "Automatic Mode" - does that cause my phone to automatically select the best tower ie ENS?

Thanks
    As far as I know there's no roaming on gprs. I use t-mobile's gprs all the time at work, and never got charged anything extra, just kb's.
    I am wondering if there is a way to hack this to see the actual carriers names instead of just 3 cingulars. Also , I am wondering if they always appear in the same order. This may be something on the sim.
    Quote Originally Posted by screwhead
    I am wondering if there is a way to hack this to see the actual carriers names instead of just 3 cingulars. Also , I am wondering if they always appear in the same order. This may be something on the sim.
    I think it is on the sim becasue when i put my attws sim in i get something like 305-87 and cingular as the towers listed.

If not, hey another project for us to do

----
    JK
    I'm still at work, but its slow so i decided to edit this "untouched virgin 1.05/1.04-CNG PhoneenUS.prc" sent to me by Finhead. I edited it the same way i did the the one from the 1.13 row rom.

Will somebody with the cingualr rom still on their phone and was having problems with my other PhoneenUS.prc try this out and see if this fixes the problem you all were having.

I haven't had a chance to compare the side by side yet, all i did was the same thing i did to the other one, just using a PhoneenUS.prc extracted from a cingular rom.
    Attached Files Attached Files

----
    JK
    I've got a Cingular (Orange) SIM in. I see three Cingulars among my network choices. Assuming they always show up in the same order (at least while I'm sitting at my desk), I can register on the first two Cingulars, but not the third.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottharris
    I've got a Cingular (Orange) SIM in. I see three Cingulars among my network choices. Assuming they always show up in the same order (at least while I'm sitting at my desk), I can register on the first two Cingulars, but not the third.
    Are you using the patch i posted above?

The only other reason i can think of now is that it is a weak signal. If you continue to get this ill make another file using a different Item ID and see if that fixes the problem.

----
    JK
    Cingular may not have a roaming agreement with the third cingular.
  19.    #139  
    if you have the hack working and are having problems registering to a "Cingular" network. That might be an old TMobile tower that Cingular is no more allowing romaing on since they merged with ATT. This has nothing to do with the wonderful hack that johnnytk36 has provided for us
    Quote Originally Posted by lazieboss
    if you have the hack working and are having problems registering to a "Cingular" network. That might be an old TMobile tower that Cingular is no more allowing romaing on since they merged with ATT. This has nothing to do with the wonderful hack that johnnytk36 has provided for us
    THANKS for the comment and your knowledge about the towers. I didn't know there was a difference between 2 t-mobile towers. I thought most of them were pretty recent. I havent been around the cell phone crowd much. Only 3 year so the knowledge of people more experienced in the coverage areas and features really helps.

----
    JK
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast