Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Right. The "Select Network..." option is always there when the phone is off, but it doesn't do you much good. The point of my hack is to get the option to appear when the phone is powered on.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
  2.    #82  
    so mcdan333, is there anything else u can think of to get the menu to appear when the phone is powered on?
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I have a Cingular Treo that I got CING to unlock with firmware 1.28 ROW
    and I have an old T-Mo sim card from 2000 that when I put it in it and the phone is turned on, it shows the network select option and I can choose between two cingular networks and T-mo's network.

Is there anything I can do to help this threda stay alive and or check it out on my treo? I alos have a sprint t650 as well.

PS I am not smart enough to do custom rom changes to my phones and I have stayed away from that.

Mark
    The Helen Keller of Treo Central
  4.    #84  
    well the best solution would be to let shadowmite borrow your GSM treo for research purposes.. im sure we'll all have this hack within a few hours that way
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Interesting expierience I am having:

So I didn't create a custom ROM, I'm not brave enough to do that (yet.)
    But what I did was copy Phone_enUS.prc overlay from ROM, edited it (per your instructions) then copied it back to RAM.
    What I was once lead to believe was that if an identical file resides in RAM (as one in ROM) the one in RAM is used. I'm not sure if that's true, but it appears to be the case with what I tryed.

In any case, I edited Phone_enUS.prc and placed it in RAM.
    I reset my Treo, and before turning on the phone, I checked and now see the 'Select Network,' item on the menu which I thought wasn't there before!
    However, once I turn the phone on, the "Select Network" menu goes away.
    When I turn the phone back off, the "Select Network" menu comes back.
    So Select Network will only show while the phone is actually turned off.

If what I did was valid, that means your hack works to re-enable the "Select Network" menu item, but the phoneapp's code may still be taking the instructions of the SIM and hiding it after the fact.

Still, I was excited to see the Select Network while the phone was off.

In further developments, I did the following to try to restore the orig. settings. I did a soft reset in between each (didn't do them all together.)
    1) deleted phone_enUS.prc
    2) copied the orig. phone_enUS.prc from ROM to RAM
    3) copied the backed up copy of phone_enUS.prc to RAM (the one I backed up before I started editing.)

All 3 things I did before, have the following effect:
    1) Reset Treo, 'Select Network' is still there in the menu (not what I expect.)
    2) Turn on phone, "select network" becomes hidden (expected)
    3) Turn phone back off, "select network" stays hidden. (expected.)
    When I return my hacked phone_enUS.prc back in to RAM, the 'network select' comes back after you turn the phone off rather than staying hidden as with the orig. version.

I can only conclude that somewhere else this setting is also stored because when I deleted my overlay and even retored the orig, the network select is there before I turn the phone off after a soft reset.

That is, unless "select network" was there after the soft reset the whole time, but I don't think it was.
    Can anyone (with Cingular) confirm that 'select network' is hidden after a soft reset before turning on the phone? The only way I can be sure is to do a hard reset.

Screen shots and my hacked .PRC are attached.
    Yaylor, in post #73, I made the same observation with non hacked ROM or RAM, that I can see the network selection menu when my phone is off, but no when it is on. Thanks for your research and trying things out. I am too chicken.
    Carl
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart
    IPat -

Thanks for the feed back. I use Cingular's North American plan. 850 minutes calling with no additional fees to anywhere in Canada, Mexico, Carribean. The network bridge problem is real (or it WAS - may have been fixed by now). I haven't been to Mexico in the last few weeks, but I know from talking to folks down there that it still occurs depending on the time of day and volume of traffic at any given point in time. My company supplies a lot of material to Ericsson who is the primary contractor for TelCel to build their landline and wireless networks. We are shipping a lot of material to Ericsson. They will begin a new wireless buildout soon. Hopefully it will expand the capacity of enough to eliminate the network bridge problem.
    dhart,
    i live in mexico while i go to school here. i use treo 650 with cingular north american plan. for the most part, my phone has no trouble connecting to Telcel GSM network. i will admit that Telcel does have its outtages but i have only had that happen once for about a day & a half since i got the phone in May. please keep in mind that Telcel sucks *** even though its the best here! its mexico! actually i dont know if this is still the case but their GSM network is fairly new and i was told in January or February that the network wasnt complete yet. they were selling GSM phones for cheap here because of that. before gettting cingular, i had an old TDMA Telcel phone that worked better and in more areas than my friends who had GSM. it was very annoying to them. actually right now that phone works everywhere in my house and my treo doesnt!
  7.    #87  
    mcdan333 how you come up with anything else?
    Well I don't think anyone has tried my first suggestion yet.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
  9.    #89  
    i thought the other guy said putting it in RAM would be the same thing? if someone could make a custom rom for me ill be willing to try anything! even if i was walked through the process
    I am going to try to make a custom rom, i just nedded a rom to mod. I just got it today. I have dial up at home and i didnt feel like waiting for the rom to download last night. So i waited till i got to work to download it. I hope i can figure out how to make one tonight.

Wish me luck.
    Cingular Branded Treo 650
    Firmware: 1.51
    Software: 1.13

----
    JK
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I have a sprint t650 and a cing orange t650. Can I try to connect via bluetooth from one t650 phone to the other or through IR to start the at+cops commands?

"There was another thread posted which illustrated how to force your phone to select a network given that Cingular blocks this feature in the SIM.

Basically either using Bluetooth or IR you go into Windows Hyperterminal and send the following command to your phone:

AT+COPS=1,2,"31038" (31038 being the ATTWS side of the Cingular network where 31026 is the T-Mo side)

In any case, I did this last night and I confirmed that it was on ATTWS...came to work this morning and was sitting eating breakfast at my desk. Glanced at my Blackberry (Cingular too) and it had 5 bars as normal. Glanced at my Nokia 6230 on the desk next to it and it had NO BARS!! No operator name...nothing. Bizzarre.

I power cycled the phone and a few seconds after poweron I was surprised to see:

"SELECT NETWORK" I hit OK and it went to "Searching". Came back with two networks (both were called Cingular) but I knew the first one was ATTWS. Selected it...said "REQUESTING" and then "Network selected"!!

I don't know if this is a good thing because given that the menu option is still disabled...if you go out of coverage, there doesn't seem to be a way to force a network select apart from powercycling the phone.

I'll try it out during the day, I loose the signal in my office's elevators so I'll see if it sticks with ATTWS.

So for those of you with a Nokia 6230 on Cingular who want to use the Cingular Blue network...here's your way."
    The Helen Keller of Treo Central
    Just to let everybody know i did as mcdan333 said in post #76. It does not work. Good idea though. I made the custom rom and when i turned the phone on it dissapered as always.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

Sorry for not much detail but it is 4:38 in the morning

----
    JK
    Ok i can't go to sleep. I changed the name of "select network" to "manual network" to see if it was that easy. well it wasen't. I was able to selelt the network with my cingualr sim in when i popped my ATTWS sim card in and right back out and then popped my cingualr card in. But it dissapperared right after i selected the network.

----
    JK
    I am now able to access the manual network menu with my cingular sim in. After hours of tinkering i got it. I know that yall want that custom rom now but im so tirrrrrred. sorry...monkeys....

I have to do some testing tommorow... i mean today, once i wake up from a nap. I might not get the file ready till late night friday. If i dont get it up friday i won't have a chance agian till next wensday. i am going to tour a college campus. I should have time tommorow at work to explain how i did it, but i won't have the files with me. Right now i can only see only one cingular network but that is all i have at my house. I will go into town later today and see what i can pick up. It works but i dont know if it is picking up all the towers since i change some resources to bypass the sim telling it to lock. I want to make sure of that and then i will get a rom out using 1.28row for everybody. If somebody has a old cingular (for those people that still havent upgraded i will patch that to). I figured that anybody that cares enough about the "network select" would already have upgraded to ROw anyway.

Thank you so much mcdan333, you got me started. I just had to add onto your idea some

----
    JK
  15.    #95  
    johnnytk36: OMG!!! Thank You soooooo much for figuring this out. I'll actually be able to use my treo at home again. Can u pleeease explain how u did it and which values/MBARs u changed? I can't wait for u to post ur custom ROM! w000000ttt
  16.    #96  
    if u can please tell us exactly how u did it so we can change the resources and make our own custom rom before u do it later tonight that would be greatt. I just can't wait any longer!!
    Sure ill write a guide once i get my treo up and running with a fully fuctinal rom and i test to make sure it is picking up roaming towers. I need to test one thing before i write it to. Plus i need to clean up a litlle from a allnighter. If you want i will just post the modded PhoneApp_enUS.oprc for the 1.28 firmware so you can make your own rom. It shouldn't take long to do all this. I can't stay away from TC for long.

----
    JK
    I just thought I would let everybody know that i just selected "select Network" and i had 3 cingualrs to choose from. Im getting to that guide, i just got my treo all the way restored from a back up. So im fully operational again. Im going to to go freshen up real quick and then im back to work.
    If you can call this work

----
    JK
  19.    #99  
    hey johnny, can u post the modded PhoneApp_enUS.oprc? also please get that guide here soon :P
    Quote Originally Posted by lazieboss
    hey johnny, can u post the modded PhoneApp_enUS.oprc? also please get that guide here soon :P
    lazieboss,

Sure i will make a guide in a bit. Do me a favor and place the modded "PhoneApp_enUS.oprc" into your ram and see if that fixes the problem. If it does that will be great. It would mean you wouldn't need to make a custom rom to use it. If it doesn't fix ill post a a guide for people that want to make the most out of their custom roms. Ill alos try to post some roms for the people that dont want to deal with making their own.

The old statment:
    REMEMBER: Any thing i post you use at your own risk, i take no responsibility if you screw-up your treo. I made my first custom rom last night, but i took the risk and now it works on my treo. BLA...bla..bla..if you screw it up it is not my fault.

Now that that is said here is the PhoneApp_enUS.oprc file for yall to play with. (I had to change the extension from .oprc to .prc to upload it. I dont know what the difference between the two extensions are acually. I don't know if you need to change it back before you put into the ram lazieboss. I cant test it since i already have it one in my rom and i dont want to put my treo through any more custom roms right now)
    Attached Files Attached Files

----
    JK
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast