Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
  1.    #61  
    any other hackers?
  2.    #62  
    what about software writers and other techies, im sure someone can atleast help walk me through the process
    Quote Originally Posted by dimensiondvdrob
    This is not the same thing, driddle...Your P910 is an UNLOCKED phone, as is my Treo 650 and I have the ability to switch networks. The unlocked GSM phones are definitely the way to go vs. purchasing the branded (and partly handicapped) carrier phone. Of course, you pay more for the unlocked version, but for me, the extra $ is worth not worrying about removed features. I got my phone as it was intended to be sold.
    Totally not true.
    I have an unlocked SE910a and an unlocked, unbranded Treo650. Using the SAME SIM, the 910a allows network selection, the Treo650 does not. I also used the same SIM in a Treo600 (unlocked) and it did NOT allow network selection, but using the same SIM in an iMate PDA2K did allow network selection.

As is stated here before, the SIM can request the network selection block, but the phone has to honor the request. Obvisoulsy some phones do and some do not, and other can be programmed (Motos) to bypass the SIM network selection block.
    Carl
  4.    #64  
    so has anyone attempted to have the treo 650 bypass the SIM network selection block?
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlGalgano
    As is stated here before, the SIM can request the network selection block, but the phone has to honor the request. Obvisoulsy some phones do and some do not, and other can be programmed (Motos) to bypass the SIM network selection block.
    Carl is right.
    An unlocked/generic phone vs. a locked to a carrier phone makes no difference. Both (locked and unlocked) of any GSM phone will/should behave the same way with any particular SIM regarding the manual network selection.
    One might speculate that because the unlocked Treo also has bluetooth DUN enabled, that other things might be different. But the manaual network selction disabling by the SIM is a GSM phone thing...as in all GSM phones are supposed to do it. Any do not either don't work properly (to the consumer's benefit I might add) or perhaps this manaul network selection crippling was something added in recent years and older phones didn't comply (speculation.)

Point is, none of the Treo 600 or 650s ignore the manual nework selection crippling by the SIM. It sucks.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  6.    #66  
    now there must be a way to MAKE the treo ignore the manual network select crippling, lets work on trying to figure it out
    I bought the original treo 600 for cingular when it first came out. I could network select, after the official cingular firmware update it was disabled. If someone could find a cingular treo 600 with the original firmware, it might shed some light on this mystery.
    Shadowmite.... do you think the diableing of the network selection menu is the same between the 600 and the 650. If we could get a GSM 600 in your hands do you think that would help? Anyone interested in trying to put together a fund to get shadowmite a GSM 650 that he can hack away on?
    Carl
  9.    #69  
    sounds like a good idea! or anyone have a spare 650 to donate to science?
    Well, I think Shadowmite needs to commit before we commit him. Let's leave this up to him.
    Carl
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart
    I apologize if this is a bit off topic but it is very related. I was in Mexico last week and could not get any service whatsoever. I travel there a lot. Cingular has the phone programmed to use TelCel, the largest provider in Mexico. I assume they have some sort of agreement with them. As has been pointed out here, the network selection feature is not available on Cingular's menus on the 650, so I could not select another provider to see if there was a signal.

I contacted Cingular in the US. Turns out that the "network communications bridge" in Mexico has been swamped with increasing wireless traffic between the US and Mexico. So it has been going down recently.

In the course of the conversation with Cingular, they offered to give me the unlock code (which, of course, I jumped at). I successfully unlocked the phone. But the network selection feature is still not on the menus. Questions:

1. Is the lock contained in ROM or on the SIM?
    2. If I upgrade the ROM using the Cingular upgrade, will the phone become locked again?
    3. Would it be smarter to upgrade using the unlocked GSM method or wait for the official Cingular upgrade?

I am also very interested in a hack to make the network selection feature available. Anyone? ShadowMite?
    I'm not sure how this info helps but here is it. I took a trip to Mexico just after getting my Cingular branded 650 - I was also able to get the subsidy unlock code from Cingular. I also purchased the International calling feature in my plan (an extra couple of $/month that I cancelled in my return) It was otherwise factory set (orig. firmware)- I was able to use the TelCel network with no problems.
    Cingular Treo - upgraded to FW 1.28/SW Treo650-1.13-ROW Apple Powerbook running Tiger
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    IPat -

Thanks for the feed back. I use Cingular's North American plan. 850 minutes calling with no additional fees to anywhere in Canada, Mexico, Carribean. The network bridge problem is real (or it WAS - may have been fixed by now). I haven't been to Mexico in the last few weeks, but I know from talking to folks down there that it still occurs depending on the time of day and volume of traffic at any given point in time. My company supplies a lot of material to Ericsson who is the primary contractor for TelCel to build their landline and wireless networks. We are shipping a lot of material to Ericsson. They will begin a new wireless buildout soon. Hopefully it will expand the capacity of enough to eliminate the network bridge problem.
    While it has already been mentioned here, I tried it out and thought it might be worth mentioning again.......
    With an unbranded, unlocked T650 with a Cingular (Orange) 32K SIM, the network selection menu IS available when the phone is OFF. If I try to select it, it tells me the phone must be on 30 seconds before the menu can be accessed. It give me an OK button. If I try to start the phone while this message is up, it will not find a network until I press OK, it then finds Cingular, and the menu selection option is gone off the menu.
    Carl
  14.    #74  
    this is so annoying!!
  15.    #75  
    mcdan, where r uuuuuuuuu
    All right, already... this is untested, mind you, as I can't flash my own custom ROM at the moment...

Looking at the file PhoneApp_enUS.oprc from the 1.23 (and presumably other) versions of the firmware: The MBAR resources (1101, 1501, 1801, 1804, 7001) are identical to the MBAR resources (1100, 1500, 1800, 1803, 7000) in every way, except they lack the "Select Network..." option.

I have found the place in the code (see my previous postings in this thread) where it disables the "Select Network..." option by displaying a xx01 MBAR instead of the corresponding xx00 MBAR. Rather than patching the code, I think it would be safer and easier to simply delete the MBAR resources which lack the SN... option and replace them with the ones that have it.

This should be easy to do using PrcEdit2 (available at http://shadowmite.com/tools.html):

1. Extract the file PhoneApp_enUS.oprc (or the corresponding language file of your choice) from your favorite custom ROM firmware.
    2. Open PhoneApp_enUS.oprc using PrcEdit2.
    3. Cut MBAR resources 1101, 1501, 1801, 1804 and 7001.
    4. Copy and paste MBAR resources 1100, 1500, 1800, 1803 and 7000.
    5. Renumber these new copies as 1101, 1501, 1801, 1804 and 7001.
    6. Save PhoneApp_enUS.oprc and exit.

Then you would need to create and flash a custom ROM to test it out. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you shouldn't be reading or attempting anything in this thread

Disclaimer: Anyone who tries this procedure does so at their own risk. I am not responsible for any adverse effects suffered by you or your Treo, including damage to life, limb or property.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdan333
    Then you would need to create and flash a custom ROM to test it out. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you shouldn't be reading or attempting anything in this thread
    Interesting expierience I am having:

So I didn't create a custom ROM, I'm not brave enough to do that (yet.)
    But what I did was copy Phone_enUS.prc overlay from ROM, edited it (per your instructions) then copied it back to RAM.
    What I was once lead to believe was that if an identical file resides in RAM (as one in ROM) the one in RAM is used. I'm not sure if that's true, but it appears to be the case with what I tryed.

In any case, I edited Phone_enUS.prc and placed it in RAM.
    I reset my Treo, and before turning on the phone, I checked and now see the 'Select Network,' item on the menu which I thought wasn't there before!
    However, once I turn the phone on, the "Select Network" menu goes away.
    When I turn the phone back off, the "Select Network" menu comes back.
    So Select Network will only show while the phone is actually turned off.

If what I did was valid, that means your hack works to re-enable the "Select Network" menu item, but the phoneapp's code may still be taking the instructions of the SIM and hiding it after the fact.

Still, I was excited to see the Select Network while the phone was off.

In further developments, I did the following to try to restore the orig. settings. I did a soft reset in between each (didn't do them all together.)
    1) deleted phone_enUS.prc
    2) copied the orig. phone_enUS.prc from ROM to RAM
    3) copied the backed up copy of phone_enUS.prc to RAM (the one I backed up before I started editing.)

All 3 things I did before, have the following effect:
    1) Reset Treo, 'Select Network' is still there in the menu (not what I expect.)
    2) Turn on phone, "select network" becomes hidden (expected)
    3) Turn phone back off, "select network" stays hidden. (expected.)
    When I return my hacked phone_enUS.prc back in to RAM, the 'network select' comes back after you turn the phone off rather than staying hidden as with the orig. version.

I can only conclude that somewhere else this setting is also stored because when I deleted my overlay and even retored the orig, the network select is there before I turn the phone off after a soft reset.

That is, unless "select network" was there after the soft reset the whole time, but I don't think it was.
    Can anyone (with Cingular) confirm that 'select network' is hidden after a soft reset before turning on the phone? The only way I can be sure is to do a hard reset.

Screen shots and my hacked .PRC are attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by taylorh; 07/20/2005 at 03:11 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Can anyone (with Cingular) confirm that 'select network' is hidden after a soft reset before turning on the phone? The only way I can be sure is to do a hard reset.
    To confirm.
    I turned my phone off and the "select network" feature was not there. I did a soft reset and it reapears.

This is what I thought happened. That if you soft reset the selelct network is there. If you turn the phone on it goes away and if you turn it back off it isn't there either. You have to soft reset to make it come back.

I will try to make a custom rom tonight using mcdan333's way. I have to get home from work and church first.

I hope we are getting somewhere on this.
    Cingular Branded Treo 650
    Firmware: 1.51
    Software: 1.13

----
    JK
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnytk36
    To confirm.
    I turned my phone off and the "select network" feature was not there. I did a soft reset and it reapears.

This is what I thought happened. That if you soft reset the selelct network is there. If you turn the phone on it goes away and if you turn it back off it isn't there either. You have to soft reset to make it come back.

I will try to make a custom rom tonight using mcdan333's way. I have to get home from work and church first.

I hope we are getting somewhere on this.
    I could have sworn it wasn't there after the soft reset, but clearly I was mistaken.
    I also checked, and my edited PRC does nothing to make 'select network' return. It already does this. You just need to switch to a different app then back to the phone app to make the menu item come back.

Dead end, sorry for the false alarm. I got too excited.
    Last edited by taylorh; 07/20/2005 at 03:51 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    I do not have to use your hacked overlay to view the select network option. However, I can only view this option while the radio is off. As soon as the radio is turned on the option dissapears.

Cingular Treo650 - upgraded to 1.28 unlocked firmware.
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast