Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by screwhead
    If cingular has a roaming agreement in your area with t-mobile then you can select them. On my treo 600 with original firmware, I could select t-mobile when I was at work, because cingular has an agreement with them.
    Yes, it's all about what area you are in.
    What I was saying is in some areas where Cingular believes they have strong coverage, they will not allow you to roam on to TMobile at all. Only when you leave the cingular coverage areas do they start alllowing you to roam on to TMobile. The problem is if you enter a building or dead spot where the cingular signal doesn't reach, and TMobile does, it won't necessarily roam to TMobile in these situations. That's when you see "No services SOS only."
    Some places Cingular doesn't have very good build-out and they allow raoming to the carrier(s) there.
    So it really depends on where you are.
    In Northern california, for example, when you leave the cingular coverage area, you enter EDGE wireless's network area. Around there Cingulars coverage is non-existent to spotty at best so you easily roam back and forth from EDGE wireless to Cingular.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by screwhead
    I found this thread over at howardforums. Dont know if it'll work with treo 650.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=514800
    I have spent the last hour trying. I just can not get the Treo to answer an incoming serial port connection over bluetooth.
    It would be nice if we could get this to work. There must be some way to do it, even better if we could do it right from the Treo handset and not over bluetooth.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I have a Cingular 650. Only the Treo logo on the case. I flashed the ROM the other day, and have the 1.28 FW and the 1.13-ROW software.

BTW, the DUN capability in the new ROM is sweet!

I was curious, so went to the Network Select menu, and it searched away. I ended up with two Cingulars. I selected the other one, and now seem to have 4 bars at home, where I had only 1 or 2 otherwise.

I didn't expect it to work.

I need to get the thing unlocked and try a T-Mobile SIM. I love playing with this stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    This is about provisioning versus phone support of ENS. Yes, the 650 does support ENS. In my case, my account wasn't provisioned for ENS because they thought my device couldn't do it. But when they learned I was using a ENS-able device, they reprovisioned, sent the programming to my phone (for the SIM), and I was happy.

Bottom line: 611, tell them you're having reception problems (especially if you previously had strong signal with ATTWS), have them review your provisioning, and reprovision your phone for the heck of it, regardless. It won't hurt and may help a great deal.
    So if get them to reprovision my phone, will it automatically use the other towers for more signal or will I need to get that menu enabled on my 650 and choose the other towers manually?
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by rscow
    I have a Cingular 650. Only the Treo logo on the case. I flashed the ROM the other day, and have the 1.28 FW and the 1.13-ROW software.

BTW, the DUN capability in the new ROM is sweet!

I was curious, so went to the Network Select menu, and it searched away. I ended up with two Cingulars. I selected the other one, and now seem to have 4 bars at home, where I had only 1 or 2 otherwise.

I didn't expect it to work.

I need to get the thing unlocked and try a T-Mobile SIM. I love playing with this stuff.
    how did u get your treo to access the network select menu with a cingular SIM? I am also running unbranded ROW 1.13 and 1.28 and still nothing. what type of SIM do u have? 32k, 64k smartchip, etc? since u have access to the menu, maybe u can help shadowmite figure out how to enable it.

shadowmite, any suggestions?
  6.    #46  
    any updates?
  7.    #47  
    shadowmite, mcdan33, where are you guys i have searched the forums and have found a few people who claim to have access to the select network menu with a cingular treo and sim. maybe theres something unique with their setup we can use to find out how to make all cingular treos have this menu? you guys seemed like you made some progress, whats new?
  8.    #48  
    can some of the people who have access to the select network menu WHILE having a cingular SIM in the phone please post comments to help further the development of this hack
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    It doesnt appear to be caused by a difference in Sim cards...my wife has the 64k card and I have the 32k card and they both react the same

rob
  10.    #50  
    it IS caused by the SIM card. ALL cingular cards made after 2001 or so have the network select menu blocked, whether it be a 32k or a 64k SIM. Cingular obviously did this to prevent people from manually selecting their network and causing them higher roaming charges. Now if you try an ATT sim or Tmobile SIM in your treo, the menu will appear. However some phones have hacks or tricks you can do to bypass the SIM's block. For example, on my Motorola v600 and this works on almost any Vxxx phone, you can seem edit (which is like editing little hex values in the software) to have the phone allow the menu. This then theoretically can be done to any phone. We are just trying to figure out how to enable it on the Treo
    Here is a slightly relavent but interesting post/thread about SIMs. Note the chart of all of the SIMs. It's just good to know.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...45&postcount=2
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Folks, all I can say is it can be hacked I'm sure... And it's going to be a change to the phone app. But to do it myself I'd need a gsm phone...

Goodluck all of you who attempt this, it's possible and shouldn't be too hard...
  13.    #53  
    oh nooo. shadowmite, you are the only one i can think of who can do this! it seems like all the knowlegeable hackers are Sprint users is there anyone else with your knowledge or experience that can develop this hack for us GSMers? if not, can you coach me on a little, ive never really messed with the phone before but i am a computer science major so it shouldnt be too difficult
  14.    #54  
    anyone with treo hacking experience able to help in the devlopment of this?
    This is all very, very interesting. For about a six-mile stretch of road where I live, there used to be little to even no Cingular signal, and at home - quite weak, depending upon the phone. Treo 650 (GSM unlocked), 1-2 bars; Raz Motorola, less.

but about 10-14 days ago, on that six mile stretch, suddenly the Treo 650 is switching to "Cingular Extended." It never did that before. Would these be ONLY ATT towers?

Sadly, about a mile short of my house, even Cingular Extend tends to cease, and it goes back to Cingular - with 1-2 bars at best.

But what is Cingular Extend?
    Quote Originally Posted by dpike
    suddenly the Treo 650 is switching to "Cingular Extended." It never did that before. Would these be ONLY ATT towers?

Sadly, about a mile short of my house, even Cingular Extend tends to cease, and it goes back to Cingular - with 1-2 bars at best.

But what is Cingular Extend?
    Well, when the names changes you're... uh... roaming. But based on the name, I'm guessing that you're roaming to a partner network. I haven't observed the name actually change when roaming between so-called home networks -- which would include ATTWS cells not divested in the acquisition.
    My 180g will let me select a network with the 64k sim card, but my 600 won't.
  18.    #58  
    mcdan33, where are u
    I haven't given up on this. I'm on vacation right now. I'll get back to it in about 2 weeks, when I return.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
  20.    #60  
    2 weeeeeks oh no! i will be dying here waiting for u to come back
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast