Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Actually, I want to add that it MIGHT be possible to fix this with a simple overlay

When I was messing with overlays a long while ago I found an extra 4 byte flag set that if turned on sets the menu options. I had the gsm network select enabled on my cdma phone... Maybe I should re-create that overlay for someone to try.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Actually, I want to add that it MIGHT be possible to fix this with a simple overlay

When I was messing with overlays a long while ago I found an extra 4 byte flag set that if turned on sets the menu options. I had the gsm network select enabled on my cdma phone... Maybe I should re-create that overlay for someone to try.
    OK Shadowmite, I will hold off a bit on my patch to see what you come up with.

Speaking of overlays... if your 4-byte flag solution doesn't work, I think I have a better solution than patching the application code: remove the MBAR resources in the existing overlay file which lack the Select Network option, and replace them with the ones that have it. For example, in PhoneApp_enUS.oprc, just replace MBAR 1101 with 1100, 1501 with 1500, etc.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    taroliw -

I understand that unlocking a phone frees it from being used with only one provider. I also understand that it enables me to put another provider's SIM in and use their service. I think your logic is a bit backwards on when you would want to use a local provider however. I would use a local provider only if I were to be in a country for very infrequent short visits. If I work in another country on a regular basis, I want to keep my home based phone number so that people can reach me without having to try two different numbers. In fact, I had a TelCel SIM with pay as you go minutes for an unlocked 600 for a time and it proved to be a pain in a** when no one could reach me in Mexico. Cingular has the best plan going for North American calling (US, Canada, Mexico). Customer service is very weak but the plan is the best.

My question is - is it better for me to upgrade using the unlocked GSM updates or wait for the Cingular updates? And will this affect my unlocked status? Reading in various places on this forum and thinking it thru, my own answer seems to be that updating with Cingular will not affect unlocked status and there may be some features in the unlocked update that Cingular does not offer. Can anyone confirm?
    Ok folks, let me know if this does anything for you:

www.shadowmite.com/PhoneApp_Test.prc

Note: This enables ALL features possible in the overlay, so if you select something for a different phone then you have (gsm/cdma) it'll most certainly crash or reset...
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Ok folks, let me know if this does anything for you:

www.shadowmite.com/PhoneApp_Test.prc
    Nope, doesn't do it for me. Just like before, I get the Select Network... menu when the phone is off, but it only gives the "Phone Not Ready" message when I select it. As soon as I turn the phone on, the Select Network... menu goes bye-bye. I do get the little SPCS LBS icon (crosshair), so I know I have it installed properly.

Shadowmite, how did you create the overlay file? I'd like to try creating one with the MBAR resources hacked to see if that works.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    Over at my site I used the prc edit program to edit flags and I just changed the flags from 0x0f to 0xff which enabled the high bits that seem to be for weird options... I haven't figured them out much at all... to change the mbar resources might be harder, I've never done that. maybe using palm's resource editor? but I dunno if that'll work on a compiled prc file. If not, hex edit em...
    Remember, this is a feature of the SIM, not the handset. If you have an unbranded, unlocked handset and put in a SIM from a different carrier, it will appear in the options...its because its not available on the Cingular SIM that it doesn't appear on the phone options
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Folks,

I am wondering if this is a fundamental limitation related to the new 64K sim that uses some kludge to have the phone say Cingular when it is on either the Blue or Orange network. I think Cingular calls this ENS (Enhanced Network Support) or something like that. There is a lot of discussion on Howard Forums about this.

Maybe they had to disable the network select on the 650 to get this to work.

Just a thought.

I also would love to be able to select the network for the phone to "stick" to. At work mine stays on an unreliable Cingular tower when there is an AT&T tower right outside the building. Totally frustrating. Every once in a while I get that perfect 4 bar call, but most of the time, I get the distorted often dropped crap service that makes me want Sprint back.

Hopefully they will get full handoff working between the towers. Then the new Cingular will have a network that rivals the CDMA ones in performance.

I also love that SOS-Only situation. I guess that means it has a good T-Mobile singnal but you can't use it even for an emergency unless its 911. I wouldn't even mind the "roaming charges".

This is lame...

Glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    I am wondering if this is a fundamental limitation related to the new 64K sim that uses some kludge to have the phone say Cingular when it is on either the Blue or Orange network. I think Cingular calls this ENS (Enhanced Network Support) or something like that. There is a lot of discussion on Howard Forums about this.
    I was actually going to suggest that you might have better luck bringing this up in the PalmOne forum of the Cingular support site. It seems it has finally gone orange (forums.cingular.com) and is supporting customers orange or blue.

Yes, ENS does usually involve the disabling of manual network selection -- and not just for Palm devices by the way. But what ENS does is allow any of the various network IDs that Cingular operates (because they haven't merged all their networks, they actually operate 9 or 10 different ones) to serve as your phone's home network. That is, most SIMs can't get beyond the notion that one cell network ID can be their home. ENS is their name for this ability in the orange 64K SIMs Cingular provides.

But as I noted in an earlier thread, there is a catch. If your device profile (in Cingular's DB) says that you are using a device that doesn't support ENS, then they won't provision this service to your SIM! This happened to me because I'd upgraded from a Nokia 6820 (doesn't support ENS) to a 650 (which definitely does support it) but Cingular didn't change my device profile when I changed my data service and told them why I was doing it. *ugh*

The behavior I found was much like you describe... that the phone would prefer certain cell towers despite the fact I knew there were others with better signal. This behavior suggests you are not using ENS, and getting that enabled will make a huge difference. With ENS, the phone will choose the strongest available signal from any available home network... and so long as the ATTWS tower near your office wasn't part of a divested network (from the merger) you should be able to pick it up fine. Note, too, that mere proximity to a tower can actually be a problem too... with signal echoing and cross-talk between the channels.

I would strongly suggest that you 611 and report this issue. When I did (finally) is when I learned about the incorrect provisioning of my device and was pretty quickly corrected. Once done, I suddenly had excellent signal in places where previously I'd been stuck on crappy towers. I even noticed better call hand-off, where I no longer had dropped calls when wandering through cell boundaries. Really helps on longer drives.
    So did you get your phone fixed so that it is now using ENS? If so, what steps did you take? I have a Cingular locked 650 and don't get as good reception as I got with my Motorola and Samsung phones I have used in the past. I'm wondering if my SIM card is set to only use the Cingular towers. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    I also love that SOS-Only situation. I guess that means it has a good T-Mobile singnal but you can't use it even for an emergency unless its 911. I wouldn't even mind the "roaming charges".

This is lame...

Glenn
    This is the negative side effect of the plans now having "NO Roaming charges ever." As a result they don't want you to roam in areas the server becuase you aren't paying for it.
    The problem is that sometimes in Cingular home areas you will hit a dead spot and they won't allow you to Roam.
    You're right, this is lame

So the marketing line should be "No roaming charges ever, but we won't let you roam."

I agree, I'd rather pay a roaming fee.

As a result I picked up a T-Mobile pre-paid SIM for those just in case situations, which is extremely rare considering TMobile's coverage area is inferior to Cingular's.
    The problem with pre-paid is that your credits expire after 30 OR 90 days.
    Once you've spent a total $100 in the life of your SIM your credits will remain for 1 year.

I have also considered getting a Verizon pre-paid or minimal rate plan for those areas that I don't get coverage.
    I know it's crazy but no one service does it all.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu
    So did you get your phone fixed so that it is now using ENS? If so, what steps did you take? I have a Cingular locked 650 and don't get as good reception as I got with my Motorola and Samsung phones I have used in the past. I'm wondering if my SIM card is set to only use the Cingular towers. Any ideas?
    This is about provisioning versus phone support of ENS. Yes, the 650 does support ENS. In my case, my account wasn't provisioned for ENS because they thought my device couldn't do it. But when they learned I was using a ENS-able device, they reprovisioned, sent the programming to my phone (for the SIM), and I was happy.

Bottom line: 611, tell them you're having reception problems (especially if you previously had strong signal with ATTWS), have them review your provisioning, and reprovision your phone for the heck of it, regardless. It won't hurt and may help a great deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    Yes, ENS does usually involve the disabling of manual network selection -- and not just for Palm devices by the way. But what ENS does is allow any of the various network IDs that Cingular operates (because they haven't merged all their networks, they actually operate 9 or 10 different ones) to serve as your phone's home network. That is, most SIMs can't get beyond the notion that one cell network ID can be their home. ENS is their name for this ability in the orange 64K SIMs Cingular provides.

I would strongly suggest that you 611 and report this issue. When I did (finally) is when I learned about the incorrect provisioning of my device and was pretty quickly corrected. Once done, I suddenly had excellent signal in places where previously I'd been stuck on crappy towers. I even noticed better call hand-off, where I no longer had dropped calls when wandering through cell boundaries. Really helps on longer drives.
    This sounds like the problem I'm seeing right now. We moved our offices last weekend, and the signal on my Orange 650 is very sporadic at the new location, despite the fact that a colleague with a Blue phone has full signal.

Can ENS be enabled on a 32k SIM? I'm still using the SIM that came in my Nokia GAIT phone, and I still use it occasionally in that phone if we're heading into rural areas where GSM may not be available. I would love to get ENS enabled to cure the problems here at the office, but not at the expense of losing my GAIT coverage.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    This is actually really cool. When I did network select on my unlocked/att sim, I showed two Cingulars, and one Tmobile. I selected the second cingular and immediately when from one bar to four.

Can I run off of the Tmobile towers as well if they are the strongest in the area?
    I have a New Unlocked 650 because my 600 was stolen from me when I was traveling from Singapore to Bangkok. Mixed blessing?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockery
    This is actually really cool. When I did network select on my unlocked/att sim, I showed two Cingulars, and one Tmobile. I selected the second cingular and immediately when from one bar to four.

Can I run off of the Tmobile towers as well if they are the strongest in the area?
    No, that's what others are saying - you can't choose tmobile because you are not allowed to "roam".
    I just tried to select the TMobile netowrk with my ATT/Cingular Blue phone and it told me it was unable to to register with the network. I was able to switch between two different Cingular networks, though. Both present the same number of bars where I'm at.
    If cingular has a roaming agreement in your area with t-mobile then you can select them. On my treo 600 with original firmware, I could select t-mobile when I was at work, because cingular has an agreement with them.
    I found this thread over at howardforums. Dont know if it'll work with treo 650.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=514800
  19.    #39  
    shadowmite and mcdann33, where are u??? i am desperately waiting to see if enabling this menu can be possible so i can actually use my cingular service again in my house.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Secondary benifit:

I just got home, and no longer have the option for Tmobile. Certainly helpful in wondering if you have coverage with competing carriers where you care about it most.
    I have a New Unlocked 650 because my 600 was stolen from me when I was traveling from Singapore to Bangkok. Mixed blessing?
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast