Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718
    I am able to see the two "Cingular" networks, but it seems that I can only connect to the first. I wonder if the second "cingular" network is t-moble, but since Cingular and tmobile ended their roaming agreement I cannot connect to it. It says I am not able to register with the network. So unfortunately it seems the the select network option is not helpful for me. I really would like to be able to select or hop networks.

Is anyone else having the same problem?

unbranded/Unlocked GSM, Cingular Service. Treo 650.
    Yeah it's someone else's network that they don't allow you to roam on. T-Mobile is often the likely suspect. For most people the manual network hack doesn't do much good, but it's there when you need it.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    If the other network is in fact T-Mobile, how come it still shows up as "cingular." I suppose the 'hack' does not uncover the true names of the networks. Do you know if there is a way around that?
    The hack does nothing but prevent the sim from locking the manual network select feature. That's it.
    The reason all networks show up as Cingular is because Cingular has programed the SIM to override the name that broadcast by the tower and replace it with "Cingular."
    They do this so that you'll never know when you're roaming because it'll always show "Cingular." The reason they don't want you to know when you're roaming is because they make the claim that you'll never pay a roaming charge, they want to make it appear to you that their native network is bigger than it is, and they don't want people to call and ask them about roaming.

The problem with this is that some people end up breaking the 50% rule, which is that you shall not use more than 50% of your air time while roaming, otherwise they will notify you and threaten to cancel your service. That normally only happens when someone moves to an area that Cingular doesn't have native coverage and unknowingly is roaming most of the time.
    Now I believe you can call them and tell them that you believe you're roaming more than 50% of the time, you're concerned about losing your service, and ask them to re-program your SIM so that you know when you'll be roaming.
    They actually do this to people who have broken the 50% rule, but I don't know if it exposes the native carrier names. I know that it at least makes your phone show "roaming." somehow. Maybe they re-program it so that all non-cingular carriers show up with the name "Roaming" instead. I don't really know.

If you really want to know what the other networks are, there are motorola phones you can hack to show you all of the carrier IDs. Or in my case i have a T-Moble pre-paid SIM that I just put in my Treo. T-Mobile shows the native carrier names and doesn't play this game.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Maybe if you're in an area where there is only one "Cingular" available (i.e. only T-Mobile), then it would let you select it, or automatically switch to it?

I was recently on a trip to Oklahoma, and southwest of OKC my phone switched to "Cellular One DCS". Northwest of Reno my phone will display "Edge Wireless" - or it's network code.
    Yes, that's actually quite the norm.
    Where there is no Cingular wireless native coverage, you can usually roam, assuming they have a roaming agreement in place (which they often do.) It's in areas where there is already Cingular coverage where they restrict roaming.
    For example, Edge wireless covers a lot of northern California. In those areas there is no Cingular coverage so you (are allowed to) roam on to Edge wireless as if it were just part of your Cingular coverage.
    This is one reason that Cingular actually re-names the affiliate carrier as "Cingular", so that it appears to you that you're still on the Cingular network since it norally shouldn't make any difference to you.
    heres an even easier way to do it.

use Romtool V1.0
    Download the rom to your computer using directory mode.
    Open the directory and find "PhoneApp_enUS.oprc"
    Open the file with a hex editor and change 1C8B to 051A (do a hex search)
    Save.
    Recompile the ROM using Romtool and upload it back to the phone. do a reset to get the phone out of boot loader mode and then poof. network select is available.

im guessing that this file is the main file that the regular phone_enus.prc comes from. so by changing it in the rom, if you do a hard reset or anything the network select feature should always stay enabled.
    I only see a 1C8E, I didn't see a 1C8B.

Also, how do I edit this file. Do I find 1C8B and change all the values in that row to the values that are in row 051A?
    it took a few searches but somehow i found it with winhex. then everything works. and you only replace the 1c8b with 051a.
    Am i just looking for the sequence of numbers that are 1C 8B and replace it with 05 1A becasue the numbers are grouped in pairs correct? I found a grouping of those numbers in that sequence, but will that be the only set in the whole file, how do I know it is the correct set?
    Quote Originally Posted by biscuit141
    Am i just looking for the sequence of numbers that are 1C 8B and replace it with 05 1A becasue the numbers are grouped in pairs correct? I found a grouping of those numbers in that sequence, but will that be the only set in the whole file, how do I know it is the correct set?
    It's the only set of 05 1A in the entire file. If there were more than one set of those digits, it would be the first set you encounter. It's relatively close to the beginning of the file (not right at the beginning, just relatively.)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by jlee6
    I am able to see the two "Cingular" networks, but it seems that I can only connect to the first. I wonder if the second "cingular" network is t-moble, but since Cingular and tmobile ended their roaming agreement I cannot connect to it. It says I am not able to register with the network. So unfortunately it seems the the select network option is not helpful for me. I really would like to be able to select or hop networks.

Is anyone else having the same problem?

unbranded/Unlocked GSM, Cingular Service. Treo 650.
    I have this same issue; after installing the hack I can't register my treo 650 on the
    other network (also labeled cingular). This surprised me because I also have a cingular Moto RAZR, which has also been hacked to allow manual network select due to the fact that at my new house, the default cingular network is only like 1 bar strong, while the other network (which I know to be Tmobile) gets very strong signal.

What this means is that when I get home each day, I'm dropping my sim in the razr and putting it back in the treo when I leave (this sucks and I've run into some problems cloning my sim while trying to simplify this insane process).

The fact that I can register on either one of these networks from my house on the RAZR, but not from the treo suggests that the problem is still some setting in our treos that has yet to be discovered.

I think this hack still needs more work. Can anyone help? I really need this one!

- Jay
    That's interesting. The hack doesn't really do anything than expose the feature that's already there. Rather keeps it from being hidden when the SIM tells the phone to hide it. It's like the software says "Hide Menu 9" and we just changed the menu number to "12" so it wouldn't be hidden. Otherwise nothing was actually done to the software. If you turn off the phone you'll notice the option is there then gets hidden when you turn the phone on (without the hack.) We just stopped the phone from hiding it. It's a simple 2 byte change. So I don't suspect it's the hack that's the problem. But you never know!
    I've noticed once with a former SIM I had, that my treo would not automatically register with T-Mobile, but I COULD register with it manually. My Samsung phone, however had no problem falling back to T-Mobile.
    It turned out it was because T-Mobile's MNC was not in the SIM's preferred network list, so for whatever reason the Treo wouldn't roam to it although it should have.
    I had Cingular add that MNC to the SIM and started working in auto.
    It's a totally different situation, but it was one where I suspected it was some kind of 'bug' in the Treo, or something weird with ENS (enhanced network select) that wasn't flushed out. The Samsung phone doesn't do ENS, so it could have been something like that.
    I have a new SIM once again where T-Mobile isn't in the preferred network list. But since they upgraded the blue network here I can't find any coverage holes to test if my phone will fall back on to T-Mobile automatically. But I know I can do it manually.

This is the first I've heard of this situation. Now I'm curious.

I know Cingular likes you to give them the IMEI of your phone. I wonder if the fact that the RAZR is the IMEI they have in their system might have to do with authorizing you to roam. Just a shot in the dark, I don't know.
    Last edited by taylorh; 08/05/2006 at 12:47 AM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    actually the treo is most likely the imei they have in thier system (at least it's the phone I activated my account with and have had all my updates done on - while I bought the razr from a friend and have only ever just dropped the sim in it and powered it on). I also recently had cingular provision my sim with ENS, hoping it might help.
    .. from 1900 to 1800, because the phone always says "no service" and my operator doesn't have 1900 signal. So everytime I restart the phone, I have to dial #*1800# to set it up.

Please, help!
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718