Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718 LastLast
Results 321 to 340 of 355
  1. #321  
    Is it possible for the network select hack to be used with the new 1.71 row? Please check the firmware thread in Treo650 Hardware.

    Thank you
  2. #322  
    Hi TaylorH could you please make a network select hack to be used with the 1.71 1.20 Row? Or could you please tell me how to make one, and then i'll post it?

    Thanks so much.
  3. #323  
    Quote Originally Posted by chenling
    Hi TaylorH could you please make a network select hack to be used with the 1.71 1.20 Row? Or could you please tell me how to make one, and then i'll post it?

    Thanks so much.
    Does anyone have the hack for the new 1.71fw/1.20 ROW not APR
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 01/13/2006 at 11:36 AM.
    Just call me Berd.
  4. #324  
    Hey Berd,

    Here's the updated Network Select Phone_enUS.prc for the 1.71 firm 1.20row

    I read through many pages and finally learned how to do it!

    Just copy it to RAM and reset your fone and you can now select networks.

    Enjoy
    Attached Files Attached Files
  5. #325  
    Sorry I didn't answer the call to hack this. I've been on another 14day 12+ day working binge Finally done with this phase of the project.
    I'm glad you figured out the hack. I'll add it to my download page(s) when I get a chance.
  6. #326  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    No, so far we haven't found a way to change the alpha tags. Those alpha tags come from either the SIM or the network broadcast depending on the situation.
    There is, however, a way to find out which network you're conncting to.
    Get the program FileZ if you don't already have it.
    Run filez, and select the "view and edit files"
    Open up the "Internal" (RAM)
    Select the file "CurrentCarrier" then select Menu>Item>Edit
    Select record #1 and select "Edit" (or View)
    The record will look similar to this "310170 Cingular".
    This is the network you are currently using (aka registered with.)
    Record #0, by way of comparison is the preferred home network on the SIM (it's the very first network ID in the list of networks on the SIM) while record #1 is the one you're actually on.
    On a brand new nationwide Cingular SIM Record #0 is 310-340 and #1 is 310-170 because 310-340 is the primary Cingular ID for the US. But on my older regional SIM it's #0 310-170 #1 310-170 since that what it used to be in California.

    You can edit this file and change "Cingular" to "310-170" or Whatever you want, the name portion is exactly what the phone app shows on the screen. The next time your phone changes networks or you turn off and back on the phone, it will overwrite this file. You can also delete this file (I would turn off the phone before deleting it) and it will re-create the file the next time you turn the phone back on.

    We have discussed writing some kind of app that monitors this file and keeps it edited (or keeps re-editing it) or, my suggestion which is just have a dinky app that simply reads the network ID and displays it on the screen and have a table of what each network ID corresponds to (separate app, not on the phone screen.)...
    Has anyone made any progress on this? I'd like to be able to see when I'm roaming on T-Mobile.
  7. RobM's Avatar
    Posts
    477 Posts
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    #327  
    Quote Originally Posted by chenling
    Hey Berd,

    Here's the updated Network Select Phone_enUS.prc for the 1.71 firm 1.20row

    I read through many pages and finally learned how to do it!

    Just copy it to RAM and reset your fone and you can now select networks.

    Enjoy
    Is this the same one used for the ENA version?

    rob
  8. #328  
    When I install this hack, where do I go to then manually switch between the networks?
  9. #329  
    ^^ I've got an unlocked GSM phone so I don't need the hack. But I'm assuming it's the same place as my phone... from the main screen press the Menu key, "Options" > "Select Network..."
  10. #330  
    I am not sure, but I wouldn't use it if its not the same version.

    If you post the phone_enUS.prc file here, I can do it for you.

    *BTW, the file i posted above was made from the LEAKED 1.71 1.20 ROW. I dont' know if it would work with the NOW OFFICIALL RELEASED 1.71 1.20. If it doesn't, post the phone_enUS.prc from whatever software/firmware you have, and I can do it for you.



    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    Is this the same one used for the ENA version?

    rob
  11. #331  
    Hey folks. Well I finally installed the official ENA (ROW) version of the 1.20 update (1.20 software/1.71firmware) and uploaded the new hack for this version.

    Get it here: http://www.gadgetech.info/treo/hacks...download.shtml
    This URL is the offial home of the hacks going forward.

    As usual if you have a software version that isn't represented here and you need the hack, I can hack it for you. Or go to this URL and I'll post how to hack it yourself (it's very easy.)

    And remember that the SOFTWARE version is what's important to match. So far you can use any firmware version you like as long as you have the right software version hack.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  12. #332  
    I'm confused here... My unlocked, unbranded Treo 650 (which is what the latest 1.20 update was for) already shows the "Select Network..." menu. So what's the purpose of this hack? BTW, I still have an AT&T Wireless SIM. Does the menu not show when newer, Cingular SIM's are present?
  13. #333  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireless_Guru
    I'm confused here... My unlocked, unbranded Treo 650 (which is what the latest 1.20 update was for) already shows the "Select Network..." menu. So what's the purpose of this hack? BTW, I still have an AT&T Wireless SIM. Does the menu not show when newer, Cingular SIM's are present?
    If, when the phone is turned on, you already still show the "Select Network" menu option, then you don't need the hack.

    Are you a Cingular customer? Select Network only disappears with Cingular SIMs, and only with SIMs newer than about 2 years. If you have a Cingular SIM older than roughtly 2 years or have any other carrier than Cingular than Select Network is not disabled. Also if you have a former AT&T (now Cingular) SIM it won't be disabled.
    It's command or "flag" in the SIM that tells the phone to disable manual network select, and only Cingular uses it. Cingular only started using it about the time that they changed their plans to "no roaming fees" to prevent people from intentionally roaming.
    This hack undoes the hiding of the Select Network menu item in this case.

    I'll make sure this is explained clearly on the download web site.
    Last edited by taylorh; 01/22/2006 at 04:03 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  14. #334  
    ^^ OK, that's a good explanation. Yes, I'm origianlly an AT&T Wireless customer who got GSM the first day they launched it here. I'm still using my original SIM (about ~4 years old now) so I don't need the hack.

    Now being able to see "Cingular" and "T-Mobile" in the network list would be nice. Now it just shows "Cingular" and "Cingular".
  15. #335  
    [QUOTE=Wireless_GuruNow being able to see "Cingular" and "T-Mobile" in the network list would be nice. Now it just shows "Cingular" and "Cingular". [/QUOTE]
    Yeah. Unfortunately I don't know any way around that. I think someone would have to write a special application to do that. I think that's beyond a simple hack.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  16. #336  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    If, when the phone is turned on, you already still show the "Select Network" menu option, then you don't need the hack.

    Are you a Cingular customer? Select Network only disappears with Cingular SIMs, and only with SIMs newer than about 2 years. If you have a Cingular SIM older than roughtly 2 years or have any other carrier than Cingular than Select Network is not disabled. Also if you have a former AT&T (now Cingular) SIM it won't be disabled.
    It's command or "flag" in the SIM that tells the phone to disable manual network select, and only Cingular uses it. Cingular only started using it about the time that they changed their plans to "no roaming fees" to prevent people from intentionally roaming.
    This hack undoes the hiding of the Select Network menu item in this case.

    I'll make sure this is explained clearly on the download web site.
    Don't know if this has been discussed.. but... Why not get a SIM Editor and compare the differences with the one that allows Network selection to the one that does not...
  17. #337  
    Network select hack for Jame's 1.20 ENA custom rom #4. I dunno if it will work for all 1.20 ENAs, but it should.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  18. #338  
    Thanks to everyone who contributed to this hack, especially taylorh and Joynnytk36. Here is a real 'hard' reason to install it: I travel often to Europe. My phone attaches to the first available network. This network often has NO support for data! Since there was no way to force the phone to switch network, I was left without email and internet access - the two items I specifically was looking for when I selected the phone! I spent countless hours with the Cingular support people, and was resigned to dump the phone when I discovered your thread.

    Thanks again!
    Tomas
  19. #339  
    That's interesting. I had *heared* that when you travel internationally, manual network selection is supposed to be unlocked/unhidden and that it's only supposed to be supressed when domestic. But yours isn't the first account I've heard of being stuck on the wrong international network. Either way I still think the way Cing has implemented this feature supression, locked the SIM so you can't edit the MNC list (with devices that can do it) and re-tagged all carriers in the list "Cingular" instead of their actual name really sucks. At least with this hack we can undo one of these things.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  20. #340  
    I just received in the mail the " Your new 64K SmartChip SIM will restore your ability to perform manual network selection while traveling internationally"
    Ostensibly I got it because I travel internationally --- not true!!

    Suspect it is a response to the hack. Thank you.

    Don't know if it unlocks the TREO 650 or only gives network selection.

    The letter didn't mention the TREO 650 directly and in fact gives SIM install instructions for another phone.

    I will be waiting to see further info on this "upgrade"

Posting Permissions