Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlGalgano
    Ive been away from this thread for quite a while and see you smart folks have 2 solutions. Excellent!!! Is the hack or the phone.prc the perfered way to add network selection???
    I reccomend the "overlay hack."
    Two reasons:
    1) It takes far less memory. The phone.prc application is rougly 650KB and the overlay file is roughly 73KB. Why waste memory.
    2) The overlay can be applied and removed without resetting the treo or even turning off the phone. If you install the phone.prc version you must soft-reset or the phone on/off button won't work.

However, both so far are working just as well and both basically do the same thing a different in reverse of each other.

All versions are hosted here:
    http://www.gadgetech.info/treo/hacks/selectnetwork/
    Last edited by taylorh; 01/22/2006 at 12:12 AM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    My phone will reset back to automatic network selection on reboot.

If I choose a network, it also seems to keep with that network even if it can't get service.

I'm Treo 650 on Cingular.
    Yeah it does that. That's the treo by the way and not the hack in case you're wondering. Does this with a T-Mobile SIM (hack not necessary) and also did this with the Treo 600 with an AT&T SIM (also no hack.)
    It's just the darn Treo.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Wow, this is great, and very easy.... thanks all. I do have a question. At my house if I do a network search I see 2 networks, and both say Cingular. One is Orange at 850 and the other is TMobile at 1900. I KNOW I can not see the Blue network here in my house at 1900. Is there anyway to have the tower Alpha tag rather than the SIM tag displayed???
    Carl
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlGalgano
    Wow, this is great, and very easy.... thanks all. I do have a question. At my house if I do a network search I see 2 networks, and both say Cingular. One is Orange at 850 and the other is TMobile at 1900. I KNOW I can not see the Blue network here in my house at 1900. Is there anyway to have the tower Alpha tag rather than the SIM tag displayed???
    No, so far we haven't found a way to change the alpha tags. Those alpha tags come from either the SIM or the network broadcast depending on the situation.
    There is, however, a way to find out which network you're conncting to.
    Get the program FileZ if you don't already have it.
    Run filez, and select the "view and edit files"
    Open up the "Internal" (RAM)
    Select the file "CurrentCarrier" then select Menu>Item>Edit
    Select record #1 and select "Edit" (or View)
    The record will look similar to this "310170 Cingular".
    This is the network you are currently using (aka registered with.)
    Record #0, by way of comparison is the preferred home network on the SIM (it's the very first network ID in the list of networks on the SIM) while record #1 is the one you're actually on.
    On a brand new nationwide Cingular SIM Record #0 is 310-340 and #1 is 310-170 because 310-340 is the primary Cingular ID for the US. But on my older regional SIM it's #0 310-170 #1 310-170 since that what it used to be in California.

You can edit this file and change "Cingular" to "310-170" or Whatever you want, the name portion is exactly what the phone app shows on the screen. The next time your phone changes networks or you turn off and back on the phone, it will overwrite this file. You can also delete this file (I would turn off the phone before deleting it) and it will re-create the file the next time you turn the phone back on.

We have discussed writing some kind of app that monitors this file and keeps it edited (or keeps re-editing it) or, my suggestion which is just have a dinky app that simply reads the network ID and displays it on the screen and have a table of what each network ID corresponds to (separate app, not on the phone screen.)

So this doesn't help you see what each network is, but it does give you the ability to see what network you're on once you've selected the network which is still very useful. I'd have liked to be able to see the list that it pulls up when you do a manual search so you can see what networks it's not allowing you to roam on (when you try to select them and get denied.)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    I just installed the overlay hack (Phone_enUS.PRC) and I am not getting the following error when I try to go to the phone application:

“The application cannot be launched because it is missing localization information."

Any of you seen this? Thanx.

- B.

EDIT: My bad - I installed the ROW file instead of the 1.15. Sorry to clutter your mailbox.
    Last edited by Brilovett; 08/31/2005 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Oooppss - my bad
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.loveisearned.com<O</O
    Instant Messenger:<O</O
    AOL: brilovett, MSN: blovett@chicagogsb.edu, Yahoo: bm_lovett
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    All versions are hosted here:
    http://www.hively.com/selectnetworkhack/
    Taylor, I assume you're hosting this.
    Can you upload the Overlay for the 1.04/1.05 Cingular version?
    I'm not sure what's the most current/best working one - is it JohnnyTK's version on Post #135?
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1
    Taylor, I assume you're hosting this.
    Can you upload the Overlay for the 1.04/1.05 Cingular version?
    I'm not sure what's the most current/best working one - is it JohnnyTK's version on Post #135?
    Yes, I'm hosting this. I eventually want to get a different site and domain name to host the slowly growning number of random files I have hidden on my site so I'm not using our personal site for this, but it's what I have right now.

I most certainly can upload it, but I don't have the orig. file. Whatever version you need, email me the Phone_enUS.prc overlay file from the Treo ROM and I'll edit it and post it.
    I'll send you a PM with my email address
    Use Filez or any other file program to copy Phone_enUS.prc from the ROM to to your SD card. Then put the card in a card reader and attach the file to an email and send it to me from a PC.
    It's a simple quick edit.

-UPDATE-
    It's done. The 1.04-CNG/FW1.05 version is now posted:
    Last edited by taylorh; 01/22/2006 at 12:13 AM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Taylorh:

I've got a Treo 600, software 1.12-CNG. For the Treo 600, your website lists only 1.16-CNG. I can't find that version anywhere. Is it a typo?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckInReno
    Taylorh:

I've got a Treo 600, software 1.12-CNG. For the Treo 600, your website lists only 1.16-CNG. I can't find that version anywhere. Is it a typo?
    The Treo 600 Cingular updater for 1.16-CNG is here:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl..._cingular.html
    And 1.17 for former AT&T wireless customers (now Cingular)
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...er_former.html
    Here's the master list of Treo 600 updates:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...0_updater.html

I don't think it's a typo. This version is based on TreoLuv's post #185 here in which he posted "1.16" unmodified for us to hack.

I hope this helps. I certainly can modify any version from the 600 or 650, just send me a PM or Email through here and I'll respond with my email address. You can attach Phone_enUS.prc from your phone to the email, or just post it here as an attachment. Make sure you include what version your software is so I know when I post it. I'll hack it and post it additing it to the list.

On that note, I don't think 1.12 vs 1.16 will make any difference. I'm fairly confident you can use one on the other although no one has confirmed this with testing. I think the most important thing is getting the right carrier version CNG vs ROW vs CNB etc since we know there are variations between them which cause reset loops.
    If you do try it, make sure you back up your treo first in case you do have to hard-reset (losing everything.) That way you can restore and not be angry with me
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Ok, I got my Treo in the mail this morning, and I've barely scractched the surface on what I'm trying to do to get my Cingular network and the hack. I've looked up my phone info, it says I'm running the Treo650-1.02-CNG software on top of the 1.04 Firmware. I apologize for the newb question, but what updates should I perform on the phone first befor trying the overlay hack so I can select the network I want?
    Well you might want to update to the latest Cingular software/firmware version first.
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl.../cingular.html
    This brings you up to Software: 1.15 (with firmware 1.31.) But before you, some people have been complaining about bugs in 1.15 so you might want to read this thread before you make the plunge:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=78328
    Or do a forum search on "1.15" to find all of the posts and topics that talk about it. I don't use the Cingular version personally so I haven't kept up.
    The update prior to 1.15-CNG was 1.04-CNG, but I don't know where you can still find it if you wanted to go to that version first.
    You're on 1.02-CNG and the 1.04-CNG overlay hack on posted on the site SHOULD work just fine if you don't update your Treo software. As I've said before just do a backup hotsync of your Treo before you install it. If it DOESN'T work your treo will endlessly reset over and over until you do a 'hard reset' which sets it back to factory default. If it does work, then you'll know right away because it won't reset and you'll see the 'select network' option.

So first step. Download and install 1.15-CNG from Palm's site. Read the forum first. Then download the 'overlay' hack and you can just install it with hotsync like any other program. If you need to uninstall/delete it, you'll need the program FileZ (free) or any file management program like Resco Explorer (best,not free), FileZ, or Teal Mover to delete "Phone_enUS.prc". A file management program is a good staple to have on your Treo regardless, and these instructions are on the download site as well.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Thanks. Funny thing is, I just got a brand new 600 shipped from Cingular, (as a replacement) and it came with 1.12 installed. And, just to confuse me, Palm's website says you don't need to upgrade if you've got version 1.12. But, you are definitely correct, 1.16 is there. I'll get to it in the next day or two.
    Yeah I don't get it. Palm's support site doesn't even have a page for the Cingular model.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Ok, Since I screwed this up once (well twice ) already. I need a little direction as to which hack I need.

I have an unlocked 600 with Cingular, Firmware 3.05 and 1.12-ROW software.

So could someone point me in the correct direction?

TIA
    I actually have a Treo 600 ROW. I'll create a hack and post it later this (Sunday evening.) I don't know why I didn't think to do it already. I'll post again to this thread when it's up.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    I actually have a Treo 600 ROW. I'll create a hack and post it later this (Sunday evening.) I don't know why I didn't think to do it already. I'll post again to this thread when it's up.

That would be sweet...
    Now posted:
    Treo 600 PalmOne: Software Version: 1.12-ROW (Firmware 3.05)
    Phone_enUS-T600-1_12-ROW.prc

At this point I have Treo 600 Cingular and ROW latest, and Treo 650 Cingular and ROW latest. Also Cingular former version (1.04) becase some people aren't happy with the latest software update.
    Let me know if you have any problems. Instructions are on the page but all you should have to do is hotsync install it or copy it to RAM from your SD card with FileZ
    You could even download it directly to the Treo from the web page if you like.
    Renaming the file is not necessary, the OS automatically renames it to Phone_enUS.prc when you copy it.
    Last edited by taylorh; 01/22/2006 at 12:14 AM.
    Thanks, It's not resetting so I'm assuming that it's working.
    I have my treo here with full bars and another thats 2 bars.

When I goto the select network pull down it shows 4 cingular items. Do I need to choose any or is this automatic to the strong cell???
    Last edited by Tstright; 09/14/2005 at 04:58 AM.
    Has anyone figured out how to get the "Select Network" option to appear again for the new FW/ROM 1.43 ?

Thanks
    KeNg