Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxy
    Hi and thanks to all:

Attached is the source decompiled from the latest Phone_CNGW.prc that enables network select. I have ammended it, so that if it is recompiled with the enclosed splash_on.jpg and splash_off.jpg, then it will create a file with a custom splash screen and network select....
    If I am right, there are two files at work here. The options file (if that's the right name for it) generally sets the phone options and calls the overlay file. This one is the Phone_CNGW.prc file. This is where the call log is selected to be displayed (or not). The overlay file (Phone_enUS.prc) is file where, among other things, "Network Select" is enabled.

If I have that right, you need TWO custom phone files to have everything enabled for Cingular.
    For ROW users.

I'm including a link to a Phone.PRC (the phone application.)
    For some reason I can't attach it to my message. Maybe the moderators have me locked down.
    The previous hack is in the overlay file. This time I went in and made a similar modification to the Phone.PRC.
    If you install this hack, do not use it with the overlay hack. While they may actualy co-exist, I would highly recommend against it. Ironically my first attempt at this patch canceled out the overlay patch so if you used them together it would actually disable 'select network'

The hack is quite simple. In the Phone.PRC there is an instruction to basically "Hide and disable 7307". I changed the '7307' to '0000'.
    So while the instruction is being executed, it's disabling and hiding a non-existent feature and menu option.

More specifically I used a Hex editor again. 1C8B (7307) occurs 5 times in the phone.prc file. The 2nd instance is this instruction. So I edited the 2nd 1C8B I found to 0000. As you can imagine it too me 5 trys to get this

Installation can be a *****, though.
    You can not hotsync it. FileZ and Teal Mover both refuse to copy it to RAM because they think it's overwriting the phone.prc in ROM.
    So the only thing I found that installs it is Resco Explorer. Resco explorer explicitly diferentiates between RAM, ROM, and card memory space and allows me to copy it from the SD card to RAM.

If the overlay hack works for you (and it should) there really is no reason to use this one unless you prefer. But regardless, it's a 2nd option.

So to repeat.
    0) If you have the overlay hack already installed (Phone_enUS.PRC) in RAM, then delete it before installing this new one.
    1) BACK UP YOUR TREO
    2) Turn off the phone and reset the treo. (precautionary only.)
    2) Copy this file to your SD Card
    3) Download and install Resco Explorer
    4) Copy Phone-ROW.PRC from the SD card to RAM.
    *I have installed this while the phone was on, but when I did so I found that I was unable to turn off the phone with the red hang up button until I completed a soft-reset. Then there was no problem. So I recommend power off/reset before installing.

Only attempt this on a ROW phone, do not use it on a CNG or other. I'll post a CNG version when I get the source file and can edit it.

Use at your own risk. I make no garuntees.

UPDATE!!
    I've decided the 'overlay' hack is probabally better as it takes less memory and can be installed/remove without a reset. It's your choice, either work, but I recommend the overlay hack.
    Use this URL for all hack versions:
    http://www.gadgetech.info/treo/hacks/selectnetwork/

Note: Phone.PRC application hack version have been removed from the site.
    Last edited by taylorh; 01/22/2006 at 12:12 AM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  3.    #243  
    taylor, im lost.. what exactly is this new file? i have 1.13ROW and 1.31 and the modified "cleaner" select network hack you posted about a week ago. whats this?
    Quote Originally Posted by lazieboss
    taylor, im lost.. what exactly is this new file? i have 1.13ROW and 1.31 and the modified "cleaner" select network hack you posted about a week ago. whats this?
    Sorry for the confusion and quite frankly, unnecessary alternate file/hack.

What you already have and what we've previously been working on and posting is Phone_enUS.PRC overlay rougly 74KB.
    What this new post is is Phone.PRC application Roughly 648KB.

An application PRC is what you normally install for any application, eg: filez.prc for the applicaiton FileZ.
    An overlay is a resource file that the built in applicaitons use. These resource files contain the graphics, help text, dialog message text, and menus. So Phone.PRC (application) uses the resources in Phone_enUS.PRC (overlay) file.
    What is particularly confusing is that both happen to be .PRC file extensions.

The first hack was in the overlay.
    In the overlay there are 5 nearly identical sets of menus. 1100's, 1500's, 7000's, 1800's, and 1803's.
    When using GSM (appearently) it uses the 7000's menus. 7307 is the number for 'select network'. The Phone application has an instruction that basically says "when SIM says force automatic, disable and hide 7307".
    So we changed select network from 7307 to a number from select network in one of the other menus (1306 from the 1800's menu) and it works.

The second hack (this new one) is in the phone applicaiton itself.
    Quite simply I modified the instruction from what says "when SIM says force automatic, disable and hide 7307" to "when SIM says force automatic, disable and hide 0000" thus eliminating the need for a modified overlay since it's no longer blocking 7307.

The second hack would seem to be the best method as it patches the instruction at the source rather than trick the instruction in the overlay. However, it's also not as convenient to install and remove as the overlay. Frankly I think one is really just as good as the other.

Bottom line, you don't need this. The other hack (my previously posted Phone_enUS.PRC 'clean' hack) is perfectly fine.

If you are the type of person that gives a flying hoot, you now have the option.

Why did I bother? Tangler is having endless reset loop problems, appearently from installing the overlay hack. I don't know why. I've done a diff on the file from his ROM to the one I used to edit for the hack and they are identical.
    I was actually looking for an alternative hack I could make for him. As soon as I get the Phone.PRC application file from his ROM, I'll create a CNG version of this phone app hack.

I appologize for any needless confusion I've caused.
    As soon as I get a chance I'm going to put up a web page devoted to this/these hacks that should explain all of the options clearly.
    Last edited by taylorh; 08/05/2005 at 09:59 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  5.    #245  
    Wow, great work!!! I still prefer the hacked overlay. It's easier to install and remove and I like the fact that you can simply switch to and from the phone app to see and hide the menu with no need to soft reset.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalfx
    Yeah, I also posted something similar on this thread:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?p=764754
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    I've followed this great thread to find a solution to my network problems with Cingular and try if this hack solves it. My problem is that for the life of me I am unable to get that file onto my SD expansion card. Have used QuickInstall repeatedly but to no avail FileZ just can't locate it. I only can see the original ROM version on the Treo itself. What am I doing wrong here?

P.S. Just realized that Select Network is now visible in the Options Menu when the phone is off - which before transferring the .prc file that I can't locate, it wasn't. Problem is, when the phone is on Select Network is no longer visible.....!
    OK, finally got it working - installed it the easy way, directly via QuickSnyc to RAM...!
    Only it doesn't solve my "no service" issue as I get "no operator available" on auto and searching the bands manually. No networks appear in the available networks list either, both directly accessing from the phone or using the external antenna that until two days ago gave me regularly three even four bars.

I'm using an unlocked Treo 650 -1.15 CNG on Cingular Orange. Purchased directly from Palm. Any idea if unlocking would help? After complaining to Cingular about this deterioration in service they replace my old 32k SIM card with a new 64k SmartChip.
    Update: After driving around in a ten mile radius I was able to check this out. Got up to the three Cingular networks mentioned earlier in the thread, sometimes with four bars e.g. outside a Cingular store (surprise, surprise...!) but a few hundred yards away again "no service". There's definitely something wrong with their towers in this are since a few days ago, although they deny it.... Anyway, as someone said, it's great to have the choice enabled, although for me right now it doesn't improve the situatin at home/home office.
    Does the overlay change the preferences/network features or an option in the Phone app? I use TakePhone so I am hoping the change shows up in the Preferences area.

UPDATE: Just read the 1st entry to this thread and see that it is a new option from the Phone app. Too bad I never use the phone app because I used TakePhone.

I am running 1.13ROW and 1.31FW on an unluck CNG GSM phone.
    Last edited by swieder; 08/07/2005 at 08:47 PM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    Does the overlay change the preferences/network features or an option in the Phone app? I use TakePhone so I am hoping the change shows up in the Preferences area.

UPDATE: Just read the 1st entry to this thread and see that it is a new option from the Phone app. Too bad I never use the phone app because I used TakePhone.

I am running 1.13ROW and 1.31FW on an unluck CNG GSM phone.
    It's not actually a new option, it's an existing option that, when using the Cingular SIM, this option is hidden and disabled. The hack merely stops the phone app from disabling it.
    I'm not sure how takephone works, but this (these) hacks won't help TakePhone.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by jebworks
    Update: After driving around in a ten mile radius I was able to check this out. Got up to the three Cingular networks mentioned earlier in the thread, sometimes with four bars e.g. outside a Cingular store (surprise, surprise...!) but a few hundred yards away again "no service". There's definitely something wrong with their towers in this are since a few days ago, although they deny it.... Anyway, as someone said, it's great to have the choice enabled, although for me right now it doesn't improve the situatin at home/home office.
    Jebworks. You should call Cingular and tell them there is a network outage in your area. Ask to speak to tech support and submit a engineering trouble ticket. If it's a know problem they'll let you know, but if its' not they'll sumbit your trouble ticket and they will go out and site survey the signal at or near the address you report the problem at.
    This is what they do.

Also, as for the signal being great a the Cingular store. They have these repeaters that they can install in buildings (shopping malls, corporate office buildings, etc.) that will boost the signal in a limited local area. I know this because they did this for SGI because they're a big customer and they had lousy coverage in their office buildings. You now get excellent coverage in and around their building.

I don't know if they do this at a cingular store, but it's possible that this equipment can be installed in and near shopping areas to fill dead spots, but as soon as you leave the immedate area you'll lose that local repeater signal.
    I'm not saying this is the case, just something to keep in mind.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Taylorh, thanks for the info. Just talked to Cingular tech support who claim that there are no network issues in my area....They will send me a replacement Treo and I'll find out then if indeed it is my phone that's the problem.
    Treo 650 | 01.51| 1.17 - CNG |
    Quote Originally Posted by jebworks
    Taylorh, thanks for the info. Just talked to Cingular tech support who claim that there are no network issues in my area....They will send me a replacement Treo and I'll find out then if indeed it is my phone that's the problem.
    I must admit from the description of your problem, it does sound like a defective Treo. I hope it is for your sake since it should solve your problem with a replacement.
    If you still have problems getting a signal where you used to get a good signal (say at your house where you used to get 3 bars, now get nothing at all) then persist with Cingular. Tell them exactly that, that the signal at this address was there 2 weeks ago, nice and strong, and is gone now. Persist asking them to have engineering come take a survey.
    Good luck!
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    You bet I will be on their case if the new phone doesn't improve the situation, especially with the outside antenna attached. I have a weak one bar signal on my Sony Ericsson T637 right now, using the SIM card from the Treo, which is what I got previously before using the antenna.

Another option would be to unlock the phone and return to T-Mobile which has better reception here, as the landscaper today was happily chatting away outside the house.... Ironic, as I switched from T-Mobile as their reception was lousy in my previous house eight miles west....
    Treo 650 | 01.51| 1.17 - CNG |
    I installed the hack and it seems to be working fine, I live in a border town with Mexico and I have a lot of problems with the selection of the networks. But I am detecting a problem, even though I manually select the Telcel tower, some times it still changes back to cingular.
    I have a treo 650 with 1.15-CNG and I installed the Phone_enUS_CNG.PRC
    Is there anything I should do to keep my phone from changing back to cingular?
    Thanks in advance
  18.    #258  
    that is weird, when you select a network, the phone should STAY on that network until you decide to change it back or to automatic mode. so im surprised this is happening. are you certain its doing this?
    Totally....I don't know if the Telcel network for some reason is the one giving me problems, before I installed the hack sometimes when I didn't have reach for a cingular network it gave me no service, maybe when this happens it changes back to cingular, I dont know but it is definetley happening to me. Do you think it would help to delete this hack and install the other one. Another thing that has happend to me a few times is that my phone frezzes and I have to do a soft reset.
    I found out something else that's going on with cingular, I called yesterday to increase the minutes in my North American Plan and they told me they are not offering this plan anymore, I don't know if they are having to many problems with Telcel.
    Ive been away from this thread for quite a while and see you smart folks have 2 solutions. Excellent!!! Is the hack or the phone.prc the perfered way to add network selection???
    Carl