Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Are you saying they have an OTA (over the air) update that will re-program the SIM so it shows the different carrier's actual names instead of masking them all as "Cingular"?
    Before:
    Cingular
    Cingular
    Cingular

After:
    Cingular
    Cingular Wireless
    T-Mobile
    Yes Sir.

BTW, I saw that you have a Treo650 Cingular (now unlocked) in your signature. Would you pls share your acknowlegment about unlocking the Treo 650 Cingular brand?
    Quote Originally Posted by treoluv
    Yes Sir.

BTW, I saw that you have a Treo650 Cingular (now unlocked) in your signature. Would you pls share your acknowlegment about unlocking the Treo 650 Cingular brand?
    Actually I have the PalmOne branded (aka unbranded) unlocked Treo (ROW) that I use on Cingular (paid full price through palm's web site.) I do not have a Cingular Treo that was unlocked. That's what intended to communicate in my sig. I guess it's not very clear.
    However, I understand Cingular will give you the unlock code if you simply ask for it. From what I read, you need to have your account in good standing and have had the Treo for 3 months to qualify for the unlock code.
    There are several threads on here that discuss different people's various experiences trying got get the unlock code.
    Here's one: http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=72603
    May the force be with you!
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by treoluv
    Yes Sir.

I had previously never heard of such thing. I would think I would have by now. I guess the trick is figuring out how to ask for this update, that is, specifically how to word it. First level CS is likely be clueless if I were to ask them to update my phone so it shows the carrier's name that I'm roaming on rather than 'cingular."
    I'm curious what your girlfriend said (asked for or complained about) to get them to do this.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by battreo
    i was gonna wait to see if a new sim card worked before i tried this hack but i decided to try while new sim card is on the way anyway. anyway, the hotsync will not let me install. keeps giving errors. anybody know whats going on here or have any ideas or insight on this install and other issues. i know this topic is getting pretty old now. thanks.
    Hey folks,
    Sorry, I never actually tested a hotsync install. It turns out it doesn't work. So I looked in to why. It's pretty simple. The file has the attribute "read only" flagged on it which seems to prevent it from installing via hotsync.
    I removed the read-only flag using TealMover and successfully hotsync installed this hack. The attached GIF is a screen shot of what I'm talking about with the attributes. This screen shot is after I've unchecked the read-only. I left the "bundled" and "copy protect" flags checked, although they seem to make no difference either way. Note, the copy protect is the on that puts the little lock so you can't copy an app from your card to your RAM using the OS's bulit in copy feature. But since it doesn't show up as an app under the copy feature, this is a moot point.

I'm re-uploading these two hacks again. These differ only in that the read only attribute is removed and should install via hotsync. You can always edit these attributes yourself with TealMover, or Resco Explorer should also do the trick. Not sure if you can do it with FileZ, I think you can.
    I've also updated the files in my previous post with this version. So they are the identical files.
    Let me know if you can't install one of these with hotsync.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by taylorh; 08/03/2005 at 09:48 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    After reading all these great posts, I finally decided to try this out. Using the new version posted by TaylorH that Hotsync's, it installed without any problems.

It shows 3 choices, all "Cingular", but only 1 allows me to register; which of course, must be the one my phone defaults to when set to automatic.

Although it doesn't help me in this particular location, as has been said before - it is nice to "have the option" to control it if I so choose.

Please clarify for me: if I press "Automatic Mode", does that keep it in automatic mode from that point forward (until I do a manual selection again)?

Thanks for all the work that went into this!
  6.    #226  
    yup, when you put it on automatic, the phone will decide based on the SIM card what towers to use. if then you want to decide for youself, just manually select the network. Then again if you want the phone to decide, put automatic..
    Am I the only one having this problem?

I copy the proper hack and it works fine. No lockups no crashes. I'm able to Select Network and Register to towers, but if I reset the Treo, it goes into an endless loop of resets that requires a hard reset and restore to bring it back.

---------------
    Cingular Unlocked
    FW 01.31
    1.15 CNG
  8.    #228  
    nope, dont have that problem. aer u using the correct hack for your 1.15 CNG?
    I wonder if, in addition to the "Network Select" being enabled you could also provide the Cing 1.15 overlay with time spent on the call enabled in the call log? That's also in the overlay, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    I wonder if, in addition to the "Network Select" being enabled you could also provide the Cing 1.15 overlay with time spent on the call enabled in the call log? That's also in the overlay, I think.
    If you go in to the call log, select an entry, select "details" does it not show the duration of the call?
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Hey folks. If you want to see the carrier ID (eg: 310-170, 310-380) you have selected, I found a dirty way to view it. See this post:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?p=764754
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by tangler
    Am I the only one having this problem?

I copy the proper hack and it works fine. No lockups no crashes. I'm able to Select Network and Register to towers, but if I reset the Treo, it goes into an endless loop of resets that requires a hard reset and restore to bring it back.
    It should not be doing that. Make sure you're using the CNG version.
    If you are, and still having the problem. Maybe I have to go back and makes sure I didn't screw something up.
    Anyone else use the latest CNG download I posted with no problems? I can't actually test the CNG file out myself because I have a ROW phone.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    I just tried again and I succeeded in causing the Lethal Looping upon reset. I started fresh...I downloaded the "Phone_enUS-CNG.PRC" file from post #210, transferred it to the SD card, copied it to RAM using Resco Explorer. The "Select Network" option shows and I'm able to register with either of two Cingular towers. All is well. Then I tried a reset and I get the Looping.

I tried and got a normal reset before I copied the hack to RAM.
    I have a Cing branded 1.31/115: Installed the CNG overlay using Hotsync; played around with Network Select; had Z-Launcher do a Soft Reset - no looping. Am I not doing something that you guys are?
    tangler, I'll send you a private message with my email address. Please send me your original phone_enUS.prc from your ROM. I'd like to take a look at it and possibly hack yours, send it back and see if you have the same problem.
    This is odd that you have this problem but others with theoretically the same setup do not.
    You know how to do this? Delete any hacked phone_enUS.prc that might be installed in RAM first. THen use your favorite file managment utility to copy it from ROM to your SD card. Send me that file.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    If you go in to the call log, select an entry, select "details" does it not show the duration of the call?
    Nope. The time of the call, not the duration. I don't know what to change to make it show or I could do it myself, I suppose.
    Nope. The time of the call, not the duration. I don't know what to change to make it show or I could do it myself, I suppose.
    You're kidding. I can't even begin to understand the reasoning behind removing that feature from the Cingular models. Does Cingular want you to lose track of how many minutes you're using? Is this a cheap way of trying to get you to use more air time?
    Here's what mine looks like. (ROW)
    I might suggest updating your software to ROW.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    You're kidding. I can't even begin to understand the reasoning behind removing that feature from the Cingular models. Does Cingular want you to lose track of how many minutes you're using? Is this a cheap way of trying to get you to use more air time?
    Here's what mine looks like. (ROW)
    I might suggest updating your software to ROW.
    Never mind - I figured out how to do it myself. The key file is the Phone_CNGW.prc file (NOT the overlay file: Phone_enUS.prc). I have attached the corrected copy. As far as I know everything is now activated except for the LBS icon, which is, of course, meaningless for GSM phones.

I found out the directions on how to do this on Shodowmite's bulletin board
    here
    Last edited by westronic; 08/04/2005 at 04:54 PM.
    Never mind - I figured out how to do it myself. The key file is the Phone_CNGW.prc file (NOT the overlay file: Phone_enUS.prc). I have attached the corrected copy. As far as I know everything is now activated except for the LBS icon, which is, of course, meaningless for GSM phones.

I found out the directions on how to do this on Shodowmite's bulletin board
    here
    Thanks man.

For me the cingular update has been more stable in most cases. i still have trouble but it is all related to the phone app. This file just makes my treo life better again.

THANKS AGAIN
    Cingular Branded Treo 650
    Firmware: 1.51
    Software: 1.13

----
    JK
    Hi and thanks to all:

Attached is the source decompiled from the latest Phone_CNGW.prc that enables network select. I have ammended it, so that if it is recompiled with the enclosed splash_on.jpg and splash_off.jpg, then it will create a file with a custom splash screen and network select.

Could someone knowledgeable please be so kind as to tell me what I have to change to make the source file also enable the call duration in the call log (or even better, just mod this file and repost)?

(If you want to use it as it is to make a custom splash screen overlay for the latest Cingular 1.15/1.31 release that also enables network select, then--in Windows only--just edit the jpeg files to whatever you want and run the batch file. The appropriate PRC file will be created in the directory. Just copy that into RAM.)

Thanks.

(I didn't do anything original or non-trivial here, I just want to take full advantage of this Phone overlay file to do all three potential custom things: turn on network select, create a custom splash screen, and enable call duration. So far, I have the first two. So again, thanks to all. I got these files from elsewhere and credit due to where they came from, just can't remember)