Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 355
  1. #181  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Play with the idea and let me know what you think. I'm thinking this might be a better way to go than using 1306 which is an existing menu item in another group. I don't really know how the software uses these resource numbers but I would think using the same one twice might not be the best if it's not necessary.
    I'm going to re-do mine with 7313 and test it for a while.
    I would appreciate your thoughts.

    -Taylor

    PS: 7313 doesn't work for some reason. Either the number is out of range or it's blocking anything over a certain value etc etc.
    I used 7302 (which doesn't already exist, 7302 was skipped or removed) and it seem to work with 7302.
    PPS: Scratch that. 7302 makes the menu item appear in the menu, but when you select it nothing happens. Clearly it understands what 1306 is.
    I'm back to thinking 1306 is still the best method.
    Taylorh,

    Good idea. Making it a number they don't use would save some headache down the road probaly. The reason I didn't make it a different number is becasue I know that the 1306 is linked to the select network feature. I figured somewhere in another file those numbers (1306, 7307) are listed to link to the select network feature. So making it a different number won't work because whatever lauches(best word i can think of) that "item id" won't know what to launch with a number that doesn't exist in the "master" item id list. I don't know how the palm OS works, so I might be wrong on how "item ids" work. I don't know much programing at all, all that I have assumed is based on what little I know and some common sense.

    If I am wrong about how "item ids" work I have a few reason why 7302 doesn't work.

    1. The "sim card block" might block all of the 7000 range numbers for the "select network" feature.
    2. The reason you can see "select network" but not access it with 7302 is that the "sim card block" hides "select network" when 7307 is used but doesn't know or can't hide it for anything else in the 7000 range. The "sim card block" is still blocking you from using "select network" with 7302 but it just isn't hidding "select network" from the drop down menu with 7302.

    I hope this helps.
    Cingular Branded Treo 650
    Firmware: 1.51
    Software: 1.13

    ----
    JK
  2. #182  
    Where is the download for:

    F/W 1.31 SW: 1.13-ROW ???

    TIA
  3. #183  
    AS far as i know you downlaod the file for the software version not the firmware. Since you have 1.13row you need to get it here.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=172

    It is at the bottom of the post. It is the updated version of my orginal hack.
    Cingular Branded Treo 650
    Firmware: 1.51
    Software: 1.13

    ----
    JK
  4. #184  
    Newbie question...
    How can you guys distinguish if you are connecting to Cing. Orange or Blue ?

    and yes the updated version works fine with 1.13/1.31 combo for me.
    Unlocked 650 on Cingular
    SE HBH-660
    Firmware: 01.71
    Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Hardware: A
  5. treoluv's Avatar
    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    #185  
    First, I'm sorry to break this threat.

    I'm using treo 650 and 600 from Cingular. For the 650, I download the file from this threat and it work great. Then I decided to copy it into Treo 600 RAM. However, this cause the ldeadly ooping reset, only Hard resset could recover this problem.

    Now I would like to ask for your GREAT help here, please hack this attached file below to let me choose "select network" manually. It is using in CINGULAR TREO 600 (unlocked), Software1.16-CNG, Firmware 3.05.

    I really appreciate your help. Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  6. treoluv's Avatar
    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    #186  
    Quote Originally Posted by hdtvman
    Newbie question...
    How can you guys distinguish if you are connecting to Cing. Orange or Blue ?

    and yes the updated version works fine with 1.13/1.31 combo for me.
    On my 650 (software 1.15) locked, after hacked, the screen shows:

    Cingular
    Cingular Wireless
    T-mobile

    Therefore, to my best guess, Cingular Wireless is the Blue.
  7. #187  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoluv
    First, I'm sorry to break this threat.

    I'm using treo 650 and 600 from Cingular. For the 650, I download the file from this threat and it work great. Then I decided to copy it into Treo 600 RAM. However, this cause the ldeadly ooping reset, only Hard resset could recover this problem.

    Now I would like to ask for your GREAT help here, please hack this attached file below to let me choose "select network" manually. It is using in CINGULAR TREO 600 (unlocked), Software1.16-CNG, Firmware 3.05.

    I really appreciate your help. Thank you.
    Here is the modded file, let me know if it works.

    FOR TREO 600 WITH SAME SOFTWARE VERSION AS treoluv ONLY
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by johnnytk36; 07/31/2005 at 01:37 PM.
    Cingular Branded Treo 650
    Firmware: 1.51
    Software: 1.13

    ----
    JK
  8. #188  
    Mine says:
    Cingular
    Cingular
    Cingular (probably Tmobile as it won't connect)
    no wonder I can't tell the difference ;-)
    Unlocked 650 on Cingular
    SE HBH-660
    Firmware: 01.71
    Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Hardware: A
  9. #189  
    To Cingular 1.15 users that downloaded my modded file in post 179

    I would delete it and use my original file posted HERE.


    I had my phone crash twice in a row and i dont know what did it. I am doing some testing right now. I dont know if this was related to this hack but it is the only thing I have modding my phone app as far as I know.

    Sorry for any inconvience.
  10. #190  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoluv
    On my 650 (software 1.15) locked, after hacked, the screen shows:

    Cingular
    Cingular Wireless
    T-mobile

    Therefore, to my best guess, Cingular Wireless is the Blue.
    You are using a cingular sim card?

    Do you have aything else modding your phone, because all mine says is cingular 3 times?

    We need to figure out why you can see the reals names of the networks instead of cingular for the rest of us.
    Cingular Branded Treo 650
    Firmware: 1.51
    Software: 1.13

    ----
    JK
  11. #191  
    Folks,

    I have been using the select network option and love it because switching to blue allows me to use the phone at work. However, I have noticed something a little strange...

    When I do a select network and choose the blue (not my default), the phone will go to no service SOS only about every 5-10 minutes, stay there a while, and then get service again.

    Is this Cingulars ENS (Enhanced Network Support) trying to switch the phone back to Cingular's network? Unfortunately, the phone doesn't work during these times making it a less than optimal solution for me.

    Has anyone else noticed this. I know it is not a reception issue, because the phone does the same thing at home if I force it on blue...

    Glenn
  12. #192  
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    Folks,

    I have been using the select network option and love it because switching to blue allows me to use the phone at work. However, I have noticed something a little strange...

    When I do a select network and choose the blue (not my default), the phone will go to no service SOS only about every 5-10 minutes, stay there a while, and then get service again.

    Is this Cingular's ENS (Enhanced Network Support) trying to switch the phone back to Cingular's network? Unfortunately, the phone doesn't work during these times making it a less than optimal solution for me.

    Has anyone else noticed this. I know it is not a reception issue, because the phone does the same thing at home if I force it on blue...

    Glenn
    Well, from what I read about ENS is that if you are on your non-home (non primary) network, the phone will search for the home/primary network every 7 minutes. For non-ENS, apparently this happens more frequently (2 min? 3 min? I'm not sure.) The purpose of the 7 min is to reduce battery usage.
    Essentially it's allowing the phone to 'roam' on another network and be happy there without obsessing over finding it's home network as often.
    So if it's happening every 7 min, then I think your suspicious are correct, that ENS is taking over and trying to make the phone go home.

    I doubt this problem is related to the actual hack (and I know you aren't saying that,) but it's more related to the fact that ENS somehow conflicts with manual network selection in general.

    My suggestions are:
    1) call Cingular and ask them to disable ENS on your SIM. I hear that to have ENS you have to (A) have a 64K SIM (B) have an ENS capable phone and (C) they have to OTA program your phone to enable ENS. I gather from that that ENS can be un-programed as well.
    You might want to tell Cingular (if they need a reason) that you have another cell phone that is not ENS capable and you want to move your SIM between the two, and you don't want it to cause problems. Or suggest that it is causing problems in the other phone and you want ENS turned off to see if it helps.

    2) Don't use manual network selection. Keep the phone in automatic mode and only use manual network selection temporarily when you have to.

    I personally would live with option #2. You see, although I obsessed over getting this hack, I acknowledge that there really is little need for it. If it ain't broken, don't fix it. If automatic is working, who cares, right?
    Well the answer is that very occasionally and rarely I do have a situation where something isn't working and I want to try selecting a different network.

    One example was just last night. GPRS basically went down, i couldn't get internet access for a while. I did manual network selection over to (what I assume to be) the AT&T blue network, and I was able to get internet access that way.
    When I was done doing what I needed to do, I just put it back in automatic mode.

    Another example was months ago when Cingular transferred ownership of the network in California over to TMobile (As Cingular was keeping AT&T's) and the EDGE data speeds went to crap for about 5 weeks. We're talking about 10kbps.
    I had heard that on the blue/AT&T side the speeds were fine and dandy. This is the point in time when I decided I really wanted manual net select back and started searching for a hack.

    Based on your experience, and we don't know yet if it's ENS, I know I'm going to avoid getting a 64K SIM and ENS enabled.

    I admit what I am saying here is largely educated speculation, so it's all open to interpretation. I think the telltale indicator is if the SOS happens exactly every 7 min?

    -Taylor
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  13. #193  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnytk36
    Taylorh,

    If I am wrong about how "item ids" work I have a few reason why 7302 doesn't work.
    I think it's simply that the menu item numbers are what actually activate the option. And there are 4 that work (one is blocked by Cingular.) one up doesn't work because the OS has no idea what that option does (it leads to nothing.)
    I just wanted to let you know that I tried 'the hack' substituting 7307 for 1125, 1206, and 1805. All 3 of them work.
    Using PRCEdit, I even added new items and used 1125, 1206, and 1805 to the 7000's menu (Leaving 7307 Select network unedited) and the 3 additional menu items I added also worked.
    I had 4 "select networks' on my menu, only the 7307 one actually disappeared when turning on the phone.

    This really doesn't nothing let us know that borrowing the ID number from any other working "select network" menu seems to work. Just thought I'd share this info.

    -Taylor
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  14. #194  
    Has anyone had their Treo lock up after applying the hacked overlay? Mine has locked up twice in the past 2 days and it has not done that in the past. I don't know if it's the hack that's causing it or something else...
  15. #195  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Teoh
    Has anyone had their Treo lock up after applying the hacked overlay? Mine has locked up twice in the past 2 days and it has not done that in the past. I don't know if it's the hack that's causing it or something else...
    If you used my hack for cingular 1.15 phones in post 179
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=179

    You need to read what i said in this post.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=189
    Cingular Branded Treo 650
    Firmware: 1.51
    Software: 1.13

    ----
    JK
  16. #196  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Teoh
    Has anyone had their Treo lock up after applying the hacked overlay? Mine has locked up twice in the past 2 days and it has not done that in the past. I don't know if it's the hack that's causing it or something else...
    Actually no. I haven't had any crashes or lock ups that I am aware of since applying either Johnny's initial hack, nor my revised hack.

    Try dialing #*377 <Dial>
    This brings up the crash log. It will tell you what last crashed the Treo.

    I had mine crashing/resetting every 2 min last night. I pulled up the crash log and found it was XPressMail. I figure out it was because I added an account, set a check mail scheduled, then deleted the account. The schedule was firing off and crashing becasue the accoun was gone. I just deleted and re-installed Xpress mail.

    When you say lock ups, you mean the phone becomes unresponsive for some period of time (won't turn on, won't respond to buttons?)
    I experience this from time to time but it's usually related to something -trying- to get online (check email, etc.) and is waiting to time out. Eventually it comes back, sometimes it takes up to 1-2 min.

    Secondly, are you using the manual network selection at the time it locks up, or is it just in the normal automatic mode?
    -Taylor
    PS. I'm using the ROW version, not the Cingular.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  17. #197  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Well, from what I read about ENS is that if you are on your non-home (non primary) network, the phone will search for the home/primary network every 7 minutes. For non-ENS, apparently this happens more frequently (2 min? 3 min? I'm not sure.) The purpose of the 7 min is to reduce battery usage....

    (rest of very informative post deleted)

    -Taylor
    Taylor,

    Thanks for all the excellent info. I will call Cingular tomorrow and try and get ENS removed. I thought I had read that there was some other feature of ENS that allowed them to "load balance" from one network to the next during certain times.

    This would be consistent with my experience with Cingular which has generally been terrible. Some days the phone works great, other days it drops calls all over the place.

    The Network Select for me is the difference between a usable and unusable phone at work. The Orange towers have a signal but calls fade in and out and get dropped. If I force network select to Blue, I get 100% coverage everywhere in our office.

    I am wondering if anyone else has noticed the No -- Signal SOS only like I have when using network select. If I solve this problem, I am relly happy.

    One other question: I have also read on Howard Forums that if you complain enough, Cingular can switch you from Blue to Orange (or back) as your primary. Has anyone done this? Switching to the blue towers as primary would solve all my issues (and help my wife who hates her new phone on Cingular because of reception problems).

    Thanks in advance...

    Glenn
  18. #198  
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    Taylor,

    One other question: I have also read on Howard Forums that if you complain enough, Cingular can switch you from Blue to Orange (or back) as your primary. Has anyone done this? Switching to the blue towers as primary would solve all my issues (and help my wife who hates her new phone on Cingular because of reception problems).

    Thanks in advance...

    Glenn
    In short, yes, I understand they can do that (switch you from primary orange to primary blue.)
    Unfortunatley, I believe they have been donig it through ENS (and won't do it any other way,) which was one of purposes of ENS (to program which network is a customer's primary.) Yes, load balancing is another reason, but from what I understand, the load balancing feature never really worked as expected. ENS in general is supposed to trick the phone in to thinking that all Cingular networks are all the same home network, but it's bound to have side effects.
    An finally, I've also read on howard forums that they are no longer doing it for customers. I don't know if that's true, or why it would be the case.
    Truth of the matter is that there is so much misinformation out there that I don't really know for sure. The only way to really know is to ask customer care them to put you through to tech support. Tell Tech support your dilemma (that you're on a fringe area where blue works better) and see if there is something they can do to make your phone prefer blue. They may even be able to explain ENS better.

    I'd be interested to know if your problem (with the SOS) is fixed when/if they remove ENS.

    By the way, don't be afraid to tech support about the problem you have with manual network selection, the SOS, and if it relates to ENS. Don't tell them you hacked your phone, just play (stupid) as if the feature always worked on your phone. They won't know otherwise. It's kind of surprising what you can learn from Cingular Tech support when you get a person that actually knows their stuff, and when you as the right questions.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  19. #199  
    Taylor, I am using the patch you posted. I have an unlocked/unbranded GSM Treo 650. Yes, I mean my phone becomes unresponsive to button presses. It's done this twice so far. The only way I've been able to break out of it was to perform a soft reset. The crash log doesn't show anything since I don't believe any process has actually crashed. Perhaps it's just a fluke. I'll continue to use the patch and report back if I notice any more lockups.

    By the way, thanks to both you and Johnny for making this patch available.
  20. #200  
    So far I haven't encountered any hangs, resets, crashes, etc. since I posted my version of the hack (except for an unrelated issue I mentioned previously with xpress mail.)
    Based on the way the hack works, I doubt it would be responsible for any problems like this when you aren't using manual net select. As far as I could tell the only times you're likely to encounter a problem (if at all) is when you pull up the options menu in the phone app, or when you actaully select "select network."
    Otherwise the Treo shouldn't be doing anything near this code.
    However, I've seen some pretty freaky problems that shouldn't be related to certain code in my time (I do software QA testing as a profession.) Also what we did to make the hack is one of those things where we simply hope it won't cause an issue. Kind of one of those things where it either works or it doesn't right off the bat. In other words, it seems like a pretty safe hack in my opinion. But none of us really know how it all works and what problem(s) could ultimately surface.
    I really hope the hack isn't causing it. I really want to see this work as a solution.
    If you see a hang again like this, see if you can wait it out for up to 2 min. I've found that when the phone does 'go out to lunch' (and it always has done that from time to time) it eventually comes back to reality after whatever it was doing it is finished timing out. Usually it's something that is trying to access the internet or bluetooth and can't for some reason.

    Keep us posted, and keep your fingers crossed.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions