1.    #1  
    I have Cingular's "North Amercian" plan (which for whatever reason isn't on their website) which allows 1700 minutes no LD / Roaming throughout US and the southern tip of Canada, for $99 per month. With the $19.99 Media Net Unlimited plan, my bill is about $145 with tax. Ok.

So I go up to Canada last month and get my bill, and they charged me $299!!!!!!! I called to ask why and they said that I was charged for "roaming data". The CSR (who sounded like he was 14 years old and totally clueless) told me that although Canada voice usage is included in my North American plan, data is not included in Canada and charged roaming. Huhhh????? He was arguing so I hung up with him, called back, and got a nice woman who told me it was a mistake and knocked it off my bill.

What's going to happen next time I go up to Canada???

Anyone else have this problem???

How can certain parts of my territory be roaming for data, but not roaming for voice???
    I am traveling to Canada for about a week. I am thinking about switching to the same plan -- "North American" while I am up there. Has anyone does this...temporarily switched onto the plan then switched off it? Does it makes sense to do it? I plan to use the voice and data quite a bit while I am up there.

Do you know what carrier they use in Canada -- Fido or Rogers? Rogers seems to have a much larger coverage area.
    I believe that may be a small loophole in the plan. Although your plan says you may travel without roaming or long distance, that is only a voice plan. That plan does not cover data by itself. It takes a amendment to the plan to get the MediaNet, which says nothing about aquiring the characteristics of your voice plan, though it may be assumed by the user. It's hard to interpret these things too far from the lines they occupy. I'm glad to hear you got credited though, I can't imagine paying such a high bill. Perhaps next time you should call Cingular and ask them if you will be charged for data while in Canada, and if they say no you won't, write down the name of the CS rep and the date and time. This way if something like that happens again, you have something to fall back on.

CAreful about switching plans temporalily. I did it and they back date the change to the start of the billing cycle. So I was paying National Minutes on my local calls.

Ripoff!
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the advice. The only problem is - why dont they explain any of this in the contract or on the website? There is no written documentaion anywhere of what data coverage is covered where, etc...
    Easy way to make money. You find this common in many types of contracts, in End User License Agreements (EULA) especially. Imagine this. Would you buy a product if there was a chance it might not work properly? What if the products producer denied any responsibility of the product's problems, defects, or hazards, even if they knew such problems existed? If the company asked you to promise to not try and fix it yourself and instead offer to give you advice at $50 a call? What if the contract also said that once you bought it, it could not be sold, borrowed or rented out, or even given away to anyone. Hell, what if they said you can't even complain about the product in the open? Oh yeah, and here's the best part, they won't even tell you until after you paid for the item, and you can't return it. If you read EULA's a lot of them are like that. Cingular for example has an arbitration clause in their contract, you can't take them to court, instead they get someone of *their* choosing to sit down and discuss things with you. Why do they do this? Well take a look at all those zero's at the end of their paycheck...then you tell me why. It's wrong, unethical, sleazy, and it's ingenious at the same time. Since federal legislation designed to govern transactions on digital products doesn't yet exist, vendors call the shots. Tricky isn't it.