Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I'm in Newton and consistently
    seeing speeds of 70Kbps.
    In Cambridge:
    65-67 kbits/sec
    2.27 s latency
    13 s d/l time
    Well ppl we are def seeing EDGE (thought it is still not blazing fast) speeds with our T-Mobile Treos!

Has anyone's Treo 650 started acting funky with the 1.28FW upgrade? I had 1.23 and my phone was wicked stable. but since I upgraded i have had 3 resets while using blazer and dialing ppl.

Timmay

------------EDIT------------

I am constantly getting a 0x400B error while on the B green line going past the new BU gym... could it be the upgrade or just T-Mobile messing around with their hardware?
    Last edited by bigredgpk; 06/20/2005 at 09:14 PM.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Seeing 65 kbit/sec in Wellesley!
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    It's interesting that the EDGE spec is for up to 8 69Kbps channels. So it looks like we are getting 1 channel EDGE around here. Wonder if they'll open up more?
    Quote Originally Posted by whidden
    456kbps is way off the chart for EDGE. check that number again
    First, this is on a 7100t. This was the first time I'd run this test; I learned of the link from your post. I can't explain or compare it. I just ran it three times this morning and it read:

193 kbit/sec
    3.145s latency
    7.1116s d/l time

2.9s
    7.95s

and

2.857s
    7.316s

Is this more in line with what you'd expect? Is the device a factor? Could T-M be doing some testing here? I'll keep checking and will report back if I get the higher figures again. Actually, I still find it remarkable that I can get my mail, messages, and the web at any of these speeds on this little thing. I have found this device and browser to be faster than my 270 -on which I ran Blazer and SnapperMail- especially in rendering graphics (although it doesn't do iframes.)
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    What kind of Browser does the 7100t have (proxy, non-proxy)? Does it have an EDGE radio?

Timmay
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    What kind of Browser does the 7100t have (proxy, non-proxy)? Does it have an EDGE radio?

Timmay
    I think all Blackberry internet connections go through a proxy server, but I don't know for sure. I know it's not the T-M internet service for Treos. But I just have Blackberry Internet Service (formerly Blackberry Web Client) through T-Mobile: no Blackberry Enterprise Server. http://www.blackberry.com/blackberry...tservice.shtml

No EDGE radio.

BTW, the higher speeds come with the 600k file download.

Tonight I just got 185 for the 100k file and 563 for the 600k file.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Morning reading update:
    1042 kbit/sec
    2.964s latency
    7.482s d/l time
    Is the d/l (download, I presume) time the only one that really matters? That seems to be fairly constant. BTW, I took a shot of my screen this morning to send to a colleague who doubted me.
    No offence Rodolfo, but your speeds are not your true speed and are not helping this thread at all...

If there was a phone that had 1Mb download i would love to have it! :-D
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    No offence Rodolfo, but your speeds are not your true speed and are not helping this thread at all...

If there was a phone that had 1Mb download i would love to have it! :-D
    No offense taken, bigred. I don't understand the "false" speed of this BB, but I've sure enjoyed it for a few months now. I'm gone.
    Correct me if i'm wrong but with a proxy browser this is how it goes:
    Internet -> Server -> BB so when you goto dslspeed test you are getting the speed of the Server not your BB. Mean while the Treo (using blazer) goes:
    Internet -> Treo so the test is the true speed of the Treo's internet.

Timmay
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
  13.    #33  
    Crap!

Just did two speed tests here in allston and got 18 and 17kbps. EDGE is down and I'm getting 1/2 GPRS speeds.
  14.    #34  
    Ok so we've been getting EDGE speeds of around 70-75kbps for a while now, but never anything faster than that.

The thought came to mind that maybe T-mobile doesn't have enough spectrum for our area to allow us to get full EDGE speeds.

This might explain why other people in other parts of the country are getting over 100kbps on T-Mobile, and Boston is not.

Well just a theory, but I'm giving them until September when my contract runs out. After that, if I'm still only getting 70kbps, I'm going back to Cingular! (not to mention that I'm not impressed with their coverage outside of major cities)

btw, I tried doing a speed test using my girlfriends Cingular sim card... 130kbps. It was niiiiice.
  15.    #35  
    Ok, well maybe no one is reading this thread anymore, but just wanted to throw this out there.

I just got 137kbps here in Boston!!

T-Mobile must have finally worked out the kinks in the system. Man, web browsing on the Treo is actually nice!
    Does anyone know if theres edge in belmont?
    My speeds in the other Edge thread we're near the Commons, off Avery ave.

I had Edge speeds along I-93 North till Brighton, as I reported in the other thread, I think.

I never got much above 75kbps via my GC82 card.
    -- Go Illini!
    I just got 146 and 168 kbps in two successive tests in Brookline!! Granted this is at 3:40 am, but this is amazing. I am using a Treo and these speeds are real! What prompted me to do the test again was that I downloaded a ChatterEmail update and the download rate was scary!!

This is awesome!
    Come on now - I know St. Louis is in the dark ages but is no one getting EDGE speeds. Anyone... anyone????
    Just tested T-Mobile in Houston (am using T-Mobile's proxy server):

111 kbit/sec
    1.396s latency
    8.595s d/l time
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast