Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Just looked on the cingular site and it looks like its back to the $20 rate from Anyone know if its still the same .. ie will work with the 650 etc?

I assume this was part of the jun1 rate changes?
    When I called in and asked if I could use the 650 with Unlimited Media Net, after a long conversation on the structure of their networking, we came to the conclusion that it is in fact possible. However, the next two consecutive calls I was told no. I'm not sure what to believe at the moment.

i called yesterday, and switched. i jus made no mention of having the Treo and it was not a problem.

Cingular= OWNED
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Oh the 650 definately works jsut fine on media net .. it's the how much they want to charge for it that seems to be a moving target!

I was wondering if they tightened up on it now they appear reduced the price again. It's not like they don't know what device you are using when you make a call!!
    Quote Originally Posted by phil94028
    Oh the 650 definately works jsut fine on media net .. it's the how much they want to charge for it that seems to be a moving target!

I was wondering if they tightened up on it now they appear reduced the price again. It's not like they don't know what device you are using when you make a call!!
    they dont unless you bought it from them....i bought an unlocked 600 on ebay.....called and said i wanted the unlimited medianet, they didnt know i wasnt using my samsung x427.....they cannot tell what phone your using. even with that said....i upgraded to the 650 last week, bought the 650 from cingular....2 yr contract and all. so they know i have a treo 650. but still i called yesterday and "treo" or "pda" were not words een spoken in the phone call, switched down to the 19.99 unlimited medianet from the 24.99 medianet with no questions asked.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Yeah, when I talked to the representative, he said it wasn't that the 650 isn't capable of MediaNet, it's just a rule that they don't allow it.

EDIT

Do you suppose if I call from my 650 and ask for them to put MediaNet on it that they won't notice that they're not allowed to?

jus do it online, or call another day....dont mention the treo at all. if you have the PDA data plan currently, drop that in one phone call. call back later and have the media net added, jus dont mention treo at all.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Ummm .. I guess I'll have to go look at the GSM spec.

I'm 99.9% sure that the network knows the make/model of the device setting up the call or GPRS session. Not sure if it's encoded in the ESN or MIN or whatever they call it or if it's another parameter.

Bottom line .. they can filter data network avail by model matched with data plan if they are feeling enthusiastic. In the UK I think it's pretty common to block ESNs for stolen GSM phones.

Letting the 650 on the cheaper plan "quietly" is really a marketing not a technical issue.

They even ignore bluetooth tethering on the unlocked 650 versions for similar reasons. The browser version and OS is in plain text ascii in the HTTP requests so it's kindof obvious that the dinky Nokia you signed up for medianet isn't going to be using Firefox under XP!

From some of the other posts it looks like under previous medianet plans the threshold of pain for them was in the 100-200MB/month range and not really enforced by device or tethering. Except maybe if you use VPN ports.
    It's not exaclty rocket science to SSH tunnel a vpn on port 80 though!

I guess if sophisticated users aren't pigs, they decided not to churn them to Sprint or TMo for cheap data plans. That's probably going to change it they drive down data plan pricing which was why I was curious.
    Ummm .. I guess I'll have to go look at the GSM spec.

I'm 99.9% sure that the network knows the make/model of the device setting up the call or GPRS session. Not sure if it's encoded in the ESN or MIN or whatever they call it or if it's another parameter.

Bottom line .. they can filter data network avail by model matched with data plan if they are feeling enthusiastic. In the UK I think it's pretty common to block ESNs for stolen GSM phones.

Letting the 650 on the cheaper plan "quietly" is really a marketing not a technical issue.

They even ignore bluetooth tethering on the unlocked 650 versions for similar reasons. The browser version and OS is in plain text ascii in the HTTP requests so it's kindof obvious that the dinky Nokia you signed up for medianet isn't going to be using Firefox under XP!

From some of the other posts it looks like under previous medianet plans the threshold of pain for them was in the 100-200MB/month range and not really enforced by device or tethering. Except maybe if you use VPN ports.
    It's not exaclty rocket science to SSH tunnel a vpn on port 80 though!

I guess if sophisticated users aren't pigs, they decided not to churn them to Sprint or TMo for cheap data plans. That's probably going to change it they drive down data plan pricing which was why I was curious.
    i see what you are saying. but a friend of mine at cingular said they dont know what phone you are using, he could be wrong. but it would be easily obvious to see if loookin at data usage....you would have to be downloading WAP pages non stop on a dinky nokia to even come close to all the data i use just using verichat on an average day. i still havent been overcharged the last few months and i dont expect it to change, but if it does there are alot of us here who will be hurting lol
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    CPcrazyfly,

Is it really possible to do it online? When I placed my order, there was no option for the 650, is the service page for suscribers different then or something? Because believe me I looked all over for that bad boy

-posted from my 600

yes. when u log into mycingular. on the left under ''my features'' you can add data and text message plans to your account. I don't believe you can delete features. so if you have the pda plan now...call 611 and have them take that off. then go online and add medianet unlimited.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    You are officially my forum hero. Thanks a lot man.

FYI- If this ever were to become an issue, its trivial to mask your user-agent in the http headers with firefox using the User-Agent extension.
    The browser version and OS is in plain text ascii in the HTTP requests so it's kindof obvious that the dinky Nokia you signed up for medianet isn't going to be using Firefox under XP!
    what does Mozilla on XP on your PC have to do with your treo web browsing?
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Some people allow their PC to access the internal wireless modem in the Treo directly, enabling it as a modem and using their unlimited data plan as their ISP.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    Some people allow their PC to access the internal wireless modem in the Treo directly, enabling it as a modem and using their unlimited data plan as their ISP.
    i knew that.....*slaps self in forehead*
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    hehe, hey quick question. Do you know if the MediaNet option for the 650 is available on the site? Will the option be disabled for the 650 on the My Cingular webpage?

I just checked my profile on the Cingular website, and guess what - I was signed up for $24.95 unlimited media net, and they decided to change it to PDA Unlimited $39.95 / mo! I'm on hold right now waiting to complain to these a-holes!
    Just got off the phone with Cingular regarding my problem above. When they asked what phone I have, I said T650 and she gave me the song and dance about incompatiblity with MediaNet..... So mid sentence I said "Did I say T650, that was my old phone. Now I have a Moto MPX or someting". No problem, sir. I will switch you back to the Media Net Unlimited for 19.95..

She also did say to call them whenever I switch phones so they can have the updated IMI info. I said "why would I want to do that, so you can charge me more for thesame service"

But hey, at least it's better than my VZW experience.
    I've only been on cingular for a month (haven't got my 1st bill yet) but I also see that text messages show up as 1 minute used on voice calls. (another potential issue)...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast