1.    #1  
    I just picked up a new Cingular Treo 650 and Blazer will not come up to the default home page. It just times out. If I set a proxy server, it will come up to the Media Net login.

Is there a way to make this work without a proxy (it didn't come set to the proxy by default)? Is there a different URL I should be using?
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    the cingular home page has not worked for me for about a week.
    morris stalk
    in my opinion Cingular is the worst provider on the planet - having switched recently from Sprint (for GSM internationlly).

They can't even keep their website up.

I haven't had email/internet on my T650 in almost a week, and a hard reset didn't fix it.

Their reps. don't know (or lie) about their network 'upgrades' and AT&T legacy incompatibility issues on the overlay. I get nothing from their tech. support other than "the networks are red, or yellow - you should call Palm with your problem". Palm knows it's not an issue with hardware so they bounce me back to Cingular tech. support.

I shoulda gone with T-Mobile inthe first place and be done with it.

I leave in two weeks for vacation and I DON'T want to drag my laptop along just to get email.

Cingular was fine for the first week, but now it's just CRAP.

Greg
    unlocked GSM / Cingular
    I'm having sort of the the same problem and am wondering if my home page has gotten corrupted somehow. Mine currently shows:
    http://www.cingular/wap/datad

The last part of the address does not look right to me; i.e. "datad". I seem to remember it being more than that. I can access any other web site, but not the home page originally assigned.

Does anyone know if the above is the correct address? And if not, what is correct?

I have no problem accessing www.cingular.com, but without the above address working I cannot log into infospace.
    Here's the URL for HTML (Treo)
    http://www.infospace.com/device.cnglr/welcome.htm
    Here's the URL for WAP devices (Phones)
    http://www.infospace.com/infow.sbcw/wml11/index.wml
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Here's the URL for HTML (Treo)
    http://www.infospace.com/device.cnglr/welcome.htm
    Here's the URL for WAP devices (Phones)
    http://www.infospace.com/infow.sbcw/wml11/index.wml
    Thanks for the info. The url for html agrees pretty much agrees with what I have in my Blazer browser history, but for some reason I cannot access the page. I receive an error after it attempts to connect.

I can get to just about any other web site, but infospace. Can you or anyone else access it? I cannot believe it is my browser, but anything's possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by v3treonut
    Thanks for the info. The url for html agrees pretty much agrees with what I have in my Blazer browser history, but for some reason I cannot access the page. I receive an error after it attempts to connect.

I can get to just about any other web site, but infospace. Can you or anyone else access it? I cannot believe it is my browser, but anything's possible.
    You know, you're absolutely right. I can click on those links here in MSIE on my PC, but when I try to go to either of them on the Treo 650 Blazer I'm unable to. It just times out as if it's not there.
    I normally works.
    When I switch over to using bluetooth through PC to access the internet (aka 'reverse DUN'), I'm able to load the page, but not when using Cingular GPRS.

Wierd. Cingular did something, Maybe something changed and the Media Net DNS server hasn't been updated, so DNS lookups to infospace still point to the wrong IP (just a wild guess.)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Wierd. Cingular did something, Maybe something changed and the Media Net DNS server hasn't been updated, so DNS lookups to infospace still point to the wrong IP (just a wild guess.)
    I was reading some posts today on Hofo and people there are posting similar information and stating that Cingular is somehow updating/changing something related to their web sites and they are having problems. I'm assuming this is the cause of all this, but it would be nice if they posted something about the problem on their home page.

Apparently, several people have also called Cingular CS and they say nothing is wrong!
    I'm using a treo 650 with the medianet 24.95 package and used Blazer to access stock and weather from the medianet wap page just fine for 3 months. Last week it stopped working. Now when I try to access infospace.com (they hosted the site) or any of the the cingular medianet pages I get a time out response. Is everyone else experiencing this? I cleared cookies and cache. I even deleted them with filez with no success.
    Seeing these posts, It appears I'm not alone. Is everyone that is having problems on the 24.95 media net? someone with the 40 PDA plan try and post results.
    Last edited by LMartin; 05/28/2005 at 10:22 AM.
    I am having same problem.. any updates with this issue? Im not going to even bother trying to contact cinuglar as the CSR's are clueless.
  11. Lew
    Try turning on proxy service, wireless.cingular.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew
    Try turning on proxy service, wireless.cingular.com
    That, is in fact, the problem. We can access the Cingular home page from ANY broadband connection, wireless connection, or proxy server EXCEPT when trying to connect to the home page directly from Cingular wireless Media Net. Using the wireless.cingular.com proxy simply goes around the problem.
    This is not how it used to be.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
  13. Lew
    Ah. I missed that in the thread. Good luck.
    Thanks Lew, that worked.. but now i hope that the proxy service doesnt cause any other problems.. i dont really like to have to use proxy.. hopefully this issue will be resolved and I can go back to the old way.
    Quote Originally Posted by LMartin
    someone with the 40 PDA plan try and post results.
    I have the $39.99 PDA plan and can't access the home page either.
  16. Lew
    Seemed to me that latency on web pages was a bunch higher when using the proxy.

I decided I really don't need Cingular's portal and just go to Yahoo's portal if I need one. Mostly I just use bookmarks to go to specific sites. So I turned off proxy and just ignore Cingular's page.

I suppose if you want to buy Cingular ringtones and stuff it might make sense; but you can turn on/off the proxy easy enough I suppose.

-- Lew
    Thanks lgreenberg for checking on the $39.99 pda plan.

Lew...Using the proxy does work but I have a concern...does using wireless.cingular.com allow them to track that you have a Laptop connected with Pdanet for billing?
    Figuring out whether or not a phone is being used as a modem for a laptop is not done by TCP/IP packet direction (well to the extent you are thinking at least). All a proxy will do is take the same packet of information you would send out directly to an HTTP server and route it through their network first. All it really does is go through two networks instead of one. Figuring out if a phone is being used as a modem for a laptop is done by monitoring bandwidth, which can be done with or without the proxy. They can also monitor your user agent, a part of your TCP header which contains data about your browser, platform, etc. This can however be spoofed using Mozilla Firefox and the User Agent plugin. Really the only way you can hide the fact you are using your phone as a modem for your laptop is by being discreet. If you are transferring a GB+ of data every month they might figure out you're not looking at 2K pages.

Quote Originally Posted by siriusbliss
    in my opinion Cingular is the worst provider on the planet - having switched recently from Sprint (for GSM internationlly).

What? Worse than Sprint? That can't be possible?!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions