Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As the title says, I would like to better understand the differences among the T-mobile data plans. What is the benefit of upgrading from one to the other? What type of websites will work on some, but not others? Any explaination will be helpful. What is the minimum I need for email? (the $4.99 one?) Which one will give me "real" (not mobile) internet? (the $19.99 one?) How limited is the internet on the $4.99 one?

Do any of the T-mobile data plans prevent you from receiving or making phone calls when accessing the internet?

Below are the options I see on the T-mobile website:

Unlimited T-zones $4.99
    Unlimited t-zones for $4.99 includes unlimited Internet e-mail and Mobile Web content.

Unlimited T-zones Pro $9.99
    Unlimited t-zones Pro for $9.99 includes unlimited access to corporate e-mail, Internet e-mail, and Mobile Web content--all right from your phone, any time, anywhere!

T-mobile Internet $19.99
    Wireless information that works wherever you do. The only nationwide GSM/GPRS high speed wireless network. Enables you to send e-mail or access the Internet, on your laptop or PDA wirelessly. Connect to corporate intranets or corporate VPNs. Wireless Inbox solution lets you access Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express, and Lotus Notes e-mail, contacts, and calendar.

T-Mobile Internet with Corporate My E-mail $29.98
    No description

BlackBerry Unlimited Add-on $19.99
    No description

BlackBerry Unlimited w/Enterprise Email Add-on $29.98
    No description
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    The 4.99 one does not work with the Treo 650, as my understanding of things go. You want the 19.99 one (T-Mobile Internet) because the Treo's browser is full HTML, not just wap. I don't think they can even sell you T-Zones with a Treo.
    No, the 4.99 plan works as long as you know what to do. Just have the browser connect to the tmobile proxy server, getmorespeed.t-mobile.com:8080 and you get access to everything. I can use verichat, go to any website - not just wap. There is no reason why they won't sell you anything. If you are worried, tell them you have a different phone, like a Sony 610.
    Treo 650 Unlocked GSM FW1.23
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Just get the 4.99 one. Mine even works without setting the proxy.
    b/w unlocked 650 in philly..
    I agree with T-ulk & William* ....

T-Zones works fine for me here in San Diego. At one point T-mobile disabled the internet feature from my plan without telling me and I had to call to straighten things out. Once you get the T-Zones plan on your treo if for some reason you cant browse the internet or recieve email call customer service and get it cleared up. As you stated in your post, T-Zones should allow access to internet email and mobile web content so dont let them fool you into thinking you cant access those features.

Also, just for reference. Chatter email, Directory Assistant, and AIM all work with T-Zones. And all are amazing programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth
    Also, just for reference. Chatter email, Directory Assistant, and AIM all work with T-Zones. And all are amazing programs.

how are you setting up Dir. Assist. ??

many others have complained about it not working with t-zones.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    You don't have to setup DA...Just use it!!!
    I think if you are able to browse net through T-Zones...you can use DA straight away otherwise you having problems with your t-zones not DA!
  8.    #8  
    I'm still a bit confused. What is the difference between the 4.99 t-zones and the 19.99 internet plan? They both seem to give you email access and internet. What is the difference in the internet access between these two plans?
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    I'm still a bit confused. What is the difference between the 4.99 t-zones and the 19.99 internet plan? They both seem to give you email access and internet. What is the difference in the internet access between these two plans?
    In theory t-zones is WAP only, whereas Internet is full data access. So the "right answer" is to get Internet, especially if you want to use your Treo as a modem for your laptop.

However, comments I have heard from T-mobile staff and here in forums indicates that there might not be any difference between (data 1) and Internet (data2) in some areas. I suspect the variety of success/failure is that some areas might be set up better/worse than others.
    I have T-mo with the "proxy workaround". I do not pay for internet access. I just pay for cell service. I can check email, use DA, and almost everything else. The only draw back ... I can not use sites that need to install cookies on the browser. And no Tzone access.

Will the $4.99 plan allow me to access cookies sites and acess the Tzone site (wap.voicestream.com)?

Thank you in advance.
    10/10/04 Ebayed my T600 ...
    I want my Treo 650 !!
    Got my unlocked T650 3/31/05
    CNG Unlocked 650 on TMo Network
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by LD555
    I have T-mo with the "proxy workaround". I do not pay for internet access. I just pay for cell service. I can check email, use DA, and almost everything else. The only draw back ... I can not use sites that need to install cookies on the browser. And no Tzone access.

Will the $4.99 plan allow me to access cookies sites and acess the Tzone site (wap.voicestream.com)?

Thank you in advance.

Yes - it sure sounds that way. What is this "proxy workaround" you mentioned? Is this the thing where you redirect through your desktop computer with a constant internet connection? Or is it simply changing some proxy setting on the Treo? From the sound of things, the 4.99 plan will meet all needs.

By the way, is the Treo able to load Flash games? I am particularly hooked on this one:

http://www.jokefrog.com/games/gold-miner.shtml

and would love to be able to play it on my Treo. Is the ability to load this type of page dependent on the level of internet access you subscribe to, or is the hardware?

Thanks.
    The only difference between the 4.99 plan and the 19.99 plan is $15. Seriously.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft
    ?
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft
    That sure is what it looks like to me! I've got T-Zones for $4.99/month and I get full internet, email access, and apps like DA work just fine as well. Maybe there will be a difference when EDGE is fully rolled out, but for now I see no reason to pay the extra $$.
  15.    #15  
    FYI - It appears this is all about to change effective tomorrow, 6/29. Rumor on the T-mobile Yahoo group is that T-zones is about to be eliminated in favor of something called TMobileWeb. Not sure I understand the pricing, but existing users should be grandfathered in.

If you were thinking about getting t-mo w/ cheap t-zones data, you might want to act fast as the new plans will most certainly be more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk
    You don't have to setup DA...Just use it!!!
    I think if you are able to browse net through T-Zones...you can use DA straight away otherwise you having problems with your t-zones not DA!
    According to Rick Whitt, the developer of DA,T-Mobile uses proxy servers that his program is unable to connect to as of yet. He is working on an upgraded version that allows one to manually enter their proxy settings into DA, but so far it is still in the development stage.

BTW - I use $4.99 T-zones with the "Faludi" proxy for unlimited full internet access. Everything works great for me EXCEPT the phone number lookup functions for DA (though the mapquest feature for DA works fine).
    Quote Originally Posted by pentatonic145
    According to Rick Whitt, the developer of DA,T-Mobile uses proxy servers that his program is unable to connect to as of yet. He is working on an upgraded version that allows one to manually enter their proxy settings into DA, but so far it is still in the development stage.

BTW - I use $4.99 T-zones with the "Faludi" proxy for unlimited full internet access. Everything works great for me EXCEPT the phone number lookup functions for DA (though the mapquest feature for DA works fine).

Thanks for clearing that up !
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Rick Whitt has posted the new Beta version of DA supporting Proxy Settings - it fixed the problem for me - now DA works great! Check the thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d=1#post724509
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    It is my understanding that with the $4.99 plan T-Mobile blocks certain ports. To access secure sites (those that use https://) the $19.99 plan is required.

Do any of you that posted that there is no difference other than price access secure sites (such as your bank) using the $4.99 plan?
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    I access my bank www.efirstbank.com just fine with $4.99 T-zones. I am able to view my accounts, transfer funds...whatever.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast