1.    #1  
    hi, first post here...searched and looked for answers, but all the relevant threads ended a couple months ago...

i have a current cingular account and was wondering what, if any, advantages there are to having a 64k SIM card vs. my current 32k. i was just going to swap the SIM card to the treo when it arrives, but i also have a new 64k Gemplus SIM that i wanted to use.

first, are the Gemplus 64k SIM problems rectified and second, are there performance benefits to using a 64k SIM vs. a 32k one? thanks in advance for all the help.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Yes, the Cingular SIM issues have been rectified. There is an update available on Palm's website that corrects this issue if your T650 does not include the patch.

Secondly, there is one HUGE advantage to using a 64k SIM. By using a 64k SIM you will be able to use Cingular and former AT&T towers, and your phone will choose the best tower (for signal) if both types are available in the area.

With a 32k SIM, the phone will only use Cingular towers, and in the event a Cingular tower is not available, it will use an alternate tower (such as former AT&T's).

So I would recommend using a 64k SIM, you'll literally get the best of both worlds.
  3.    #3  
    thanks, spiVeyx! answered my question perfectly. i live in a remote area where it'll be nice to "choose" from the best towers available...64k it is.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    i have the old 32k sim and i get reception from both the cingular and att towers. i live in long beach, calif. and the reception in excellent.
    morris stalk
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx
    Yes, the Cingular SIM issues have been rectified. There is an update available on Palm's website that corrects this issue if your T650 does not include the patch.

Secondly, there is one HUGE advantage to using a 64k SIM. By using a 64k SIM you will be able to use Cingular and former AT&T towers, and your phone will choose the best tower (for signal) if both types are available in the area.

With a 32k SIM, the phone will only use Cingular towers, and in the event a Cingular tower is not available, it will use an alternate tower (such as former AT&T's).

So I would recommend using a 64k SIM, you'll literally get the best of both worlds.
    I've been all over howardforums.com cingular forum and according to some 'expert's' on there this is not acurate.
    The 64K will enable phones capable of dynamic load balancing to do this load balancing. The theory is that it should direct you to the tower with less traffic, not necessarily the strongest/best tower. They say this isn't even working properly (ie. it's broken.)
    It also allows Cingular to tell the phone to prefer "blue" or "orange" towers as the primary network (Make the phone think it's an AT&T or a Cingular phone.) which is something they appearently can't do with a 32K SIM. They also say that Cingular has stoped switching the preference this preference customers so the benefit of this option has gone away.

You do not need a 64K SIM to use both networks, all SIMs will allow you to use both networks, it's really just a matter of how, and that how is appearenty not as different as it is supposed to be. So you can get both even with your 32K SIM or even an old 16K SIM. I certainly can with my 32K SIM.

I've looked into this until I'm blue in the face (pun intended) and I've concluded that ther is no need for a 64K sim at all and after Cingular has fully completed network integration with AT&T it won't make any difference.
    I don't know if I have my facts all correct, it's difficult to get acurate information on this topic, but I've concluded that there's no benefit.

However, you CAN store more phone numbers in the 64K SIM than the 32K. There's a benefit.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G