Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First, let me get some minor T-Mobile gripes out of the way, and then I can explain why I think T-Mobile totally rocks.

A couple frustrations:
    1. Original account establishment wasn't very good. They gave me a non-local number and then were slow to correct it.
    2. It seems they're often the last company to get cool new phones.

Now for all the good stuff!
    1. The reps are generally knowledgeable, typically helpful, and always friendly!
    2. Data is cheap via T-Zones! ($4.95/month)
    3. I've found T-Mobile's pricing overall to be very generous ($2.99 for 300 text messages, for instance!)
    4. Though some have complained about T-Mobile's "spotty" coverage, I've found it to be generally quite good where I live and where I've traveled.
    5. T-Mobile has, without a doubt, the most affordable international pricing when traveling abroad. While 99 cents per minute to call the U.S. from Germany may not seem like a steal, I believe it's by far the cheapest of any U.S. GSM carrier. Oh, and reception was outstanding all throughout Europe!
    6. And, saving the best for last... T-Mobile just saved my *** by offering me a ridiculously affordable Treo replacement.

Some more details about that issue:

You see, this weekend, the Treo I had just bought on eBay a week ago decided to meet its maker by slipping out of its (usually tight) carrying case and sliding across a hard wooden dance floor. The entire bottom half of the screen was kaput.

Palm? They wanted >$200 to replace the LCD!
    DiscoverCard? No purchase protection. And even had I paid for the device on my American Express, I doubt they would have covered an eBay purchase over PayPal.
    T-Mobile? "Let me see what I can do. Do you mind holding for a few minutes?" and then "We can swap out your Treo and give you a new or 90-day-warrantied refurbished model for $70, including two-way shipping. Would that be okay?"

Wanting to make sure the rep understood the situation, I was honest and reiterated that:
    - I got the phone on eBay, not from T-Mobile
    - It was still locked to AT&T Wireless (unlocked :cough: via a software hack)

She chuckled good naturedly and said, no problem.

Is that awesome or what? They didn't even insist on making me sign a new one year contract or anything.
    Last edited by ThatAdamGuy; 05/10/2005 at 01:24 AM. Reason: bad list formatting
    That is pretty good. My experience is that they all have some good things and bad things. I have sprint. Data prices are great...I havent had any billing issues with them. Go figure?
    And they have a really cool online wireless coverage tool, I wish Cingular had that... or even at the very least acurate maps.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I like T-Mo for the great prices, but unfortunately - my experience was horrible when it came to reception in major metro areas, especially when entering buildings. It's a great bargin if you get signal where you need it, but despite great CS trying to help and trying two different brands of phones, I had to switch.
    I've been with T-Mobile for almost 6 years and have also been pretty satisfied with the value for money they provide.

But as for the 99c international plans, I think they could do much much better. I am still grandfathered from a plan I had with Omnipoint which means that I can call whilst travelling in the UK for around 40c. But even this rate is way over the top compared to what you pay if you just buy a pre-paid SIM card. So of course, I just switch my SIM as soon as I leave the US.

I think T-Mobile is missing a huge market opportunity with their international roaming pricing approach. T-Mobile is the only U.S. carrier with a truly international footprint. Think of the hordes of high value business customers they would attract to their service if they offered plans that would allow the use of minutes on any T-Mobile network worldwide! None of the other US carriers would be able to compete with a plan like this if T-Mobile were to offer it.

T-Mobile should sort themselves out and start acting like a global company rather than a disjoint set of local companies. If they don't do this before someone comes out with a viable VOIP handset, then I'll be switching to Skype! Now that Skype-in is available, you not only get ultra cheap phone calls, you also can get a phone number in 3 different countries that will all ring through to your phone. Now that's some plan!
    actually tmo is pretty ridiculous with their international roaming rates. compare 2.99 a minute in china to cingular that has an international plan where I pay 4.99 a month and its only .15 a minute in ANY country.
    They are also preferential as to who they charge their rates to....Israel $2.99/min. Gaza Strip $1.99/min.
    I may switch from TMobile to Cingular later on this year because TMO needs better coverage in alot of areas. I also like the Skype plan that I would for surely use while visiting the UK.
    You never lived until you almost died!
    im glad to read they are doing you good...cuz when i had a sk2....they couldnt ever tell me anything, they knew nothing about the device and could never gove me an answer when i was without data for days at a time
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  10.    #10  
    Hey, everyone, thanks for the followup comments, particularly the info on intl. rates. When I was traveling extensively throughout Europe a few years ago, I found it cumbersome to buy a different SIM card for each country I visited; it was much easier to just make / receive the occasional phone call via T-Mobile, and at the time, TMO was by far the cheapest of the US GSM carriers.

But it looks like things have changed, eh?
    actually tmo is pretty ridiculous with their international roaming rates. compare 2.99 a minute in china to cingular that has an international plan where I pay 4.99 a month and its only .15 a minute in ANY country.
    I think you have the wrong kind of roaming. As far as I can see on the Cingular site, the plan you quote is for international calls FROM the US. Tmo is still the best when you make calls while travelling abroad, only matched by Cingular if you pay a monthly fee, not much good if you only travel once or twice a year.
    Last edited by magicman; 05/16/2005 at 11:09 PM. Reason: added quote
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
    Data is cheap via T-Zones! ($4.95/month)
    What's this? I looked up t-mobile and didn't see a "T-Zone" data plan. I only saw a $29.99/month plan for the tre 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    What's this? I looked up t-mobile and didn't see a "T-Zone" data plan. I only saw a $29.99/month plan for the tre 600.
    It's $19.99/month for the unlimited data plan, not $29.99.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    It's $19.99/month for the unlimited data plan, not $29.99.
    Yeah, its $19.95 for regular internet access, but $29.95 for additional access to VPN's and corporate servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceMike
    Yeah, its $19.95 for regular internet access, but $29.95 for additional access to VPN's and corporate servers.
    Thanks for the responses....but what was/is the $5.00 T-Zones version?
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    Thanks for the responses....but what was/is the $5.00 T-Zones version?
    OK, I found it...Tzones

The FAQ says...

"Can I access t-zones with my Treo?

You cannot access the t-zones WAP portal with your Treo. However, with your Treo and a T-Mobile Internet plan, you will already have access to e-mail, the Web, and anything else you would normally access through t-zones."

I'm assuming this is incorrect and that they are discouraging people from using TZones with their Treo because they're loosing money? Is this correct? I'm not that much of an IT guy...so what's it mean that I cannot access a WAP portal with a Treo? Is this BS or does it limit me somehow? Thanks.
    AdamGuy,

Given what you told me about your replacement, I'm kind of pissed off at T-Mo. Seems I've been buying their "equipment protection plan" at $3.99 a month. Yesterday I was informed that my rate was going to $5.99/mo in July and that the new deductable for a Treo600 is $110!!!!!

How did you swing a $70 replacement on a device you did not buy from them? Did you have insurance too? My screen has a problem with it now and if I have to shell out $110 after paying 3.99 a month for the past year or so, I'm gonna be pissed!!!

What's going on here?
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duoart
    AdamGuy,

Given what you told me about your replacement, I'm kind of pissed off at T-Mo. Seems I've been buying their "equipment protection plan" at $3.99 a month. Yesterday I was informed that my rate was going to $5.99/mo in July and that the new deductable for a Treo600 is $110!!!!!

How did you swing a $70 replacement on a device you did not buy from them? Did you have insurance too? My screen has a problem with it now and if I have to shell out $110 after paying 3.99 a month for the past year or so, I'm gonna be pissed!!!

What's going on here?
    From what I can tell Asurion is hicking up the prices, not T-Mobile. AdamGuy was cut a deal with T-mobile, most likely to keep him a happy customer.

About your situation, the Asurion price hike doesn't take place until July 1st. So if your Treo is damaged I would act now. I'm still trying to figure out if I'm going to keep the equipment protection after July 1. Seems a little high for the actual cost it takes to replace my phone with a refurbished Treo 600.
    m105 -> m130 -> Tungsten E -> Treo 600 (T-Mobile)
    I just submitted a claim on the Asurion web site. Looks like the deductable is $50 currently. I'll probably drop the plan once I get it replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by duoart
    I just submitted a claim on the Asurion web site. Looks like the deductable is $50 currently. I'll probably drop the plan once I get it replaced.
    Thanks for posting this information now since I am ab employee of Asurion, I will make sure your claim is denied. j/k
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast