Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ok, in all fairness, I called this morning and the csr added it back with no questions. I checked my account online nad verified this afternoon. I'm back to the 24.99 unlimited plan.
    I bought a 650 yesterday in the store. They told me media works is not available (they don't allow it) with the 650--as the 650 is a pda's or "data only device" believe it or not, you can only buy a data plan or get charged by kb. And though media works technically works, you would be restricted to the websites "within" media works. (I know this has probably been discussed in other threads, but)--
    is this true? If media works does give access to the "unlimited" internet, do I just call up CS and get it added? (and don't tell them what kind of phone I have). I didn't get any data plan cuz I figgered I would ask here and add later.

Jordan
    Better still, go to the web site and add it yourself.

Medianet and mediaworks will do just fine with the Treo. Make sure you pick the one with unlimited internet usage (I believe its ~$25/mo).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I got the same story when I went into a Cing store. They told me I would have to pay $40 for unlimited data with a Treo.

Can someone please verify that you can connect to secure (HTTPS / SSL) web sites while using the Medianet or mediaworks package?
    Absolutely. I just logged-in to to my bank. You even get the lock next to the URL in Blazer.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I upgraded from MediaWorks Basic to MediaNet Unlimited earlier this week. I could not get the browser to launch for two days. After two calls to customer service and about 1 1/2 hours. I was told that the MediaNet unlimited would not work with my Treo 600 and I would have to buy a PDA plan at $39.95 a month. I told them to switch me back and everything works fine again. I think they have made another change and forgot to mention it.....

Ron
    I've used the MediaNet Unlimited (the $24.99 plan) to log into my bank account at Wells Fargo on my 650 without problems.
    I signed up with the 19.99 unlimited plan and had overages on the 1st bill. A call to CS said my plan was coded wrong and she would fix it and credit the overage. 2nd bill was what I expected. 3rd bill, 120.00 in overages. Now CS says I was never on an unlimited plan and I that I was one day past the cutoff. (I signed on 2-11-05) They suggested I go back to the reseller I did and they came back saying they would be able to switch me to the 24.99 unlimited plan but that C wouldn't credit me for the overages. Meanwhile, as of today, I now see on my profile that I am on the 24.99 a month plan, but now my data services don't work. No email, no web, no SMS (even when I send a bill or minutes request, no reply) I call CS and they say I need to reset my phone to factory settings to get the phone to resync with the network. WHAT?? I call the reseller and they tell me to call the corporate store. I call them and they start in again about the PDA connect plan is the only one allowed for the Treo. I have been using the Mediaworks plan for 3 months now with no issues (except billing). Now they change my billing structure and C is saying this plan won't work with my phone? B.S. This is maddening. HTF can they expect to compete charging $40 for the same thing Sprint is charging $16 for? These people at C have some serious communication issues. When I bought the phone, every reseller including Treo themselves were selling the 19.99 unlimited plan even though the corporate stores maintained that that plan COULD NOT be used for Treos. How can a communications company be so poor at communicating with their resellers. I am escalating within C...
    I have a question about the media net unlimited too. seeing threads like this and hearing the horror stories folks I know are going through getting treos I went to my local cingular store and asked. The guy basically told me he can sign me up for media net or PDA net, whichever I wish, no problem. He said the issue however is Media net proxies through cingular in a way that only certain "mobile" websites can get through and things like syncing with outlook will not work and the PDA net removes all those bottle-necks.

Is this true?

I'm really racking myself here as to which 650 to get. My company reimburses monthly service and I have to pay for hardware. based on that I should go with verizon where I can get a 650 for 269 dollars. But the last thing I want to do is submit a bill for 150 bucks a month. It only hurts my end of year bonus after all

It seems nuts that Cingular charges more than twice what Sprint does for data, but then Verizon charges 7 dollars more than Cingular.

Ugh, do I really want to go to Sript and pay over 100 more for the phone just to save 20 bucks a month I get reimbursed anyway? sheesh.
    MediaWorks, MediaNet and PDA Net on Cingular all allow full web-browsing. There is no restriction to "mobile websites". But - if that's what the salesperson wants to say - tell them "Fine, I'll take that" and enjoy the lower price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelonius
    I have a question about the media net unlimited too. seeing threads like this and hearing the horror stories folks I know are going through getting treos I went to my local cingular store and asked. The guy basically told me he can sign me up for media net or PDA net, whichever I wish, no problem. He said the issue however is Media net proxies through cingular in a way that only certain "mobile" websites can get through and things like syncing with outlook will not work and the PDA net removes all those bottle-necks.

Is this true?
    Yikes! Where do people (like them) get this complete garbage!?
    Look, Media Net does go through a WAP gateway. Besides the fact that the wap gateway is (or uses) a NAPT (Network Address and Port Translation) router there's nothing limited or special about the Media Net access to the internet.
    The only limitation that I've ever heard of and am aware of is that the wap NAPT gateway doesn't pass GRE packets, therefore PPTP VPN won't work.
    More Here: http://www.mergic.com/vpnFAQ.php#0x870E
    And Here: http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...700#post601700
    So, there is no limitation to what sites you can go to. I've never had any site not work.
    POP, IMAP, SMTP, FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, IRC, Instant messenger apps (all of them,) shoutcast, Web, IPSec VPN(Movian/Certicom), Cisco VPN (on a laptop via PDANet and Bluetooth DUN) all work with no issues.
    PDANet does NOTHING special to remove limitations. It simply allows your PC to access the EDGE/GPRS network the same exact way the Treo itself can.

Furthermore, the only way to take advantage of the "non WAP gateway" with the PDA plan is to create a new network profile (that isn't there by default) to use the isp.cingular network access point (Media Net uses wap.cingular, as does the PDA plan by default.) So if you get the PDA plan, you'll need to (very simple) add and configure that. It's been posted many times how to do this on many other threads, I can post here again if needed.

As long as your Unlmited MediaNet plan is set up properly by customer service, you shouldn't have any billing nightmares. And that is out of your hands except to ask a different CS person to double check that it's set up properly.
    Last edited by taylorh; 05/18/2005 at 10:33 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    It looks like the unlimited MEdiaNet internet price is going down to $20/month from the current $25.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...80#post5152080
    While it's still not the old Media Work unlimited, it's still a good development in my opinion. This at least aligns them with TMobile's data plan price, although, again this plan is not necessarily supposed to be sold for Treos.

I understand the per month KB allowence on the Media Works plans is going to go up a little bit to 5MB (from 3) on the $20 plan, and 1MB (from 500KB) on the $10 plan.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I just confirmed with Cingular that if you change your rate plan at all, you lose your grandfathered MediaWorks. This was discussed by a Cingular rep on HowardsForum as well. So I will have to decide if it's more beneficial to have more minutes or to have more data, text, and MMS at a reasonable price. Now, if they decide to knock everyone off the MediaWorks plan, my choice simplifies.
    my friend with the $50 web-enabled phone with a new plan on sprint got unlimited internet included forever.. free of charge.

me with the $400 phone (which is much more comfortable for internet browsing), has to pay cingular $300 a year JUST for unlimited internet.

cant wait til my contract is up... i think its a better idea to try sprints data plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2
    I just confirmed with Cingular that if you change your rate plan at all, you lose your grandfathered MediaWorks. This was discussed by a Cingular rep on HowardsForum as well. So I will have to decide if it's more beneficial to have more minutes or to have more data, text, and MMS at a reasonable price. Now, if they decide to knock everyone off the MediaWorks plan, my choice simplifies.
    Funny, they didn't do that to me. I upgraded to a 1100 minutes family plan and kept my grandfathered unlimited media works on the main phone line. I went into the cingular store and said i wanted to make sure i didn't lose my nice plan... they said 'OK, no problem.' and fixed me right up
  16.    #36  
    Well, it didn't end up as smooth as I thought it would for me.

My bill came and Cingular ended up not giving me the unlimited media works plan on the second line. They gave me a 3 MB plan and charged me for the extra 17MB used or around $150 bucks extra...

I complained and they said they couldn't give me the same $19.99 unlimited internet + 1500 text messages but could give me the $19.99 unlimited internet. I took it. Its my wife's line and she doesn't text message much anyway.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    OK, I'm a little nervous. I just bought a Treo 650 with Cingular last Saturday, and I didn't add any data plan at the store. When I got home, I logged into my account, and saw that it let me add MediaNetUnlimited in the "My Features" section.

These are my current features:

5000 N&W $0.00
    Cingular Domestic LD $0.00
    Cingular Roam LD $0.00
    GSM Coverage Area $0.00
    MEdiaNetUnlimited $19.99
    Off-Network Roam $0.00
    Text Msg Pay Per Use $0.00
    Internet Pay Per Use $0.00
    450 Rollover Mins $0.00
    Multimedia-PayPerMsg $0.00
    Unlimited Expd M2M $0.00
    Cingular Direct Bill $0.00
    ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE $0.00
    IntlDialingAllowed $0.00
    IntlRmE.Eu As/Pa1.99 $0.00
    IntlRoamTollN/C $0.00
    Upgrade $0.00
    $3.99 Premium Zone $0.00
    IntlRmMidE/Afr2.49 $0.00
    IntlRmS/C Am/Car1.99 $0.00
    ExpandedIntlRoamgSvc $0.00
    IntlRm Mex/Can .79 $0.00
    IntlRm W.Eur 1.29 $0.00
    IntlRm Austral 1.69 $0.00
    IntlRoamAllowed $0.00
    ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE (Eff. 08/11/05 ) $0.00
    Total: $19.99
    Can someone clarify for me if this is all I need to use unlimited data, or is this going to be something that is charging me per kilobyte or something? I am not completely sure why I was able to add MediaNetUnlimited (since apparently you aren't supposed to with the Treo 650).

I've probably run up a few megabytes already, but I'd love to find out now if this is OK or not, or if I should go ahead and change it to the PDA Connect Unlimited plan, rather than risk multihundred dollar phone bills.

Just to clarify, I do still see this $19.99 "MediaWorks" plan available as a feature that can be added. So I guess the main thing I need to verify is whether I'm safe, or whether Cingular could change what I have added to my account, or charge me for extra data usage or something.

On a more general level, is it "ok" for me to be using MediaNetUnlimited? Like, could I get in trouble for it?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Just print out your feature list showing the unlimited on your number and if they try to charge you more show it to them and demand a credit.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by zadillo
    Can someone clarify for me if this is all I need to use unlimited data, or is this going to be something that is charging me per kilobyte or something? I am not completely sure why I was able to add MediaNetUnlimited (since apparently you aren't supposed to with the Treo 650).

On a more general level, is it "ok" for me to be using MediaNetUnlimited? Like, could I get in trouble for it?

Thanks!
    First, simply call cingular customer service and simply ask them if unlimited Media Net is set up properly. There's no harm in doing so. Tell them you added it on the web site and want to make sure it's effective. This should settle your fears and the call will be on record if there ever is a billing error. By the way, don't tell them you're using a Treo when you call, and they won't ask. If for some freak reson they do, you have a Motorola V550 or something that's a flip phone sold on their web site .
    From what you posted, it looks like you're good to go. That SHOULD be all you have to do to add the plan, and it looks like it worked. Really, you have nothing to be nervous about... you did everything right.

Why did the account system allow you to add it? It simply isn't that smart. I have a Treo and it's available for me to add if I wanted to. I know a lot of people who got Treos, canceled the $40 plan, and went online to add Media net unlimited the way you did. Most of those people (coworkers) had no idea they weren't 'supposed' to add it for a Treo until I told them.

Lots and lots and lots of people use that plan with a Treo with no problem and for some time Media Net unlimited was actually sold with Treos (as the ONLY data plan option.) So don't worry about it. Just enjoy it. Keep your usage under 100MB (which is a lot by the way) per month and you won't even show up on the radar. Not that you'll have any problem using more than that, I'm just saying that's a safe low-key usage limit. If you're really going to use more than that just pony up for the $40 plan In my opinion.

But any per KB usage you get charged for after your plan went in to effect should be treated as a BILLING ERROR even if they 'caught' you using a Treo. Never never admit to them that you ever though you were doing something wrong.
    Last edited by taylorh; 06/17/2005 at 01:27 AM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
  20.    #40  
    Last month I used 61MB...that was the most I've ever used.

My second phone (non Treo) used 17MB.

Apparently MediaNet Unlimited is NOT MediaWorks unlimited. I think the difference only relates to the MMS and text messages though.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast