1.    #1  
    I just saw a pretty good deal on a cingular-branded, unlocked Treo 650, available with a T-mobile plan, which I prefer. Are there any pitfalls here? The salesman says it will work, but from the little information I can find on this online it looks like there are some fixes necessary.

Any advice or information on this would be appreciated.
    I just got my Cingular branded unlocked GSM Treo 650. I pulled my SIM card out of my old Nokia phone and slipped in to the 650 and I was up and running in mere moments. There is no problem with compatibility that I have found so far. I have only had it one day, but have had no trouble getting e-mail, browsing the web and sending and receiving text messages.
    I have a regular T-mobile account with the unlimited data add-on.
    Good Luck

This is answer to an old post, but others may have the same question.

The Unit Simulacrum
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Where did you find this good deal? I may be interested in this as well! Thanks.
    A 'good deal' is relative... Compared to the supposed list price of $699 for the unlocked GSM phone, I paid $560 for one new in the box from e-bay (from 'canisellyousomething'). I have had no problems with it, other than those I created myself by changing the ROM and trying to get Bluetooth DUN working...

Regards,
    The ByrdUnit
    The Unit Simulacrum
    The beginning of the New Foundation
    I bought a brand new 650 from the Cingular Store at the mall. It cost $549.00 plus tax. I had no trouble unlocking it and I now use it with my old T-mobile sim. I've had it for a month now - everything works perfectly. BTW - if you want internet access enabled, the cheapest way thru T-mobile is to buy $4.99 unlimited T-zones and enable custom proxy 216.155.165.50 port 8080
    This will give you full, unlimited internet access (not just wap or T-zones sites) for 5 bux a month!