1.    #1  
    Is anyone aware of a US GSM carrier that includes long distance to Canada standard or as a low cost add-on? I use literally thousands of Canada minutes a month, all free as they are night/weekend, but I am grandfathered under the old Verizon America's Choice plans that include Canada. I would like to switch to another carrier (particularly a GSM carrier) but I can't afford to do so unless I can get calls to Canada included (I don't need to roam in Canada). Are there any such plans out there? Thanks.
    T-Mobile I think. From what I remember, major Canadian cities were on their coverage list. However, look on thier site to be sure, don't take my word for it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Old At&t has one but I don't think you can get their plans anymore. I am grandfathered into it. Try Cingular. T-Mobile definately does not offer calls to Canada or roaming.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/05/2005 at 02:08 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!

Bram was asking about a long distance program to Canada as standard or as a low cost add-on. T-Mobile charges $.50 a minute to roam there plus long distance.
    I thought you'd said T-Mobile had no roaming in Canada, that's why I got confused and posted the link. I see .20 on T-Mobile for long distance if calling from US. He said he didn't need roaming.

Stop this merry-go-round, I'm getting dizzy!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Sorry Insertion.

Anyway, it looks like he should stay with Verizon as neither T-Mobile or Cingular offer the unlimited night and weekend minutes to Canada he has.

If you can get an AT&T plan, you can get the North America option for $7.99. Most markets have been converted though so it's doubtful. Good luck.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the responses. It looks like all the carriers have done away with this option for some reason. Cingular (and Verizon) have a plan that includes roaming in and long distance to Canada and Mexico, but they're quite a bit more expensive (see http://www.cellularimages.com/cingularspecials.aspx). The base plan price is actually not that terrible, but N&W minutes are limited to 1,000, and mobile to mobile minutes are not included (can be added for $9.99). Even then the price wouldn't be terrible if shared across a few handsets, but this plan cannot be turned into a family share plan, so I'd have to start a completely separate account for my wife, etc. And that's even before adding data for the Treo.

I would stay with Verizon, their coverage and service are great, but 1) for my business and travel patterns, I really need GSM, and 2) I have data coming out of minutes, which Verizon is supposedly ending. Plus, the plan I'm grandfathered under is really a bit too small for me, but I can't change it without losing my Canada calling.

I know I could get a PINless calling card and set speed dials, but my wife would hate that.

Options (if there still are any), would really be appreciated. Thanks.
    Cingular definitely has a plan that covers all of North America (defined as the lower 48 and Canada). I think it is $89.95 per month, not sure how many minutes.
    I clicked on the Cellular Image link, but where are the Cingular NA plans on the official website? I can only find Cingular World. I looked again at the Cingular World. There is a basic plan for $3.99 per month add-on. I wonder if that's what you mean as low-cost add-on? International long distance is supposed to be discounted, but no mention of any unlimited nights and weekends.

Yeah, Cingular has a North America plan:
    "No Roaming or Long Distance Charges in the U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Mexico and Canada"
    $60 for 450 Min, $85 for 850, $99 for 1700, etc rollover min.
    Includes 1000 night & weekend min.
    I can't attach the brocure, so I put it here:
    http://www.hively.com/Cingular/northam.pdf
    Here are both Cingular brocures, plus the western regional brochure:
    http://www.hively.com/Cingular/
    I don't know why this isn't on the web site. Cingular is the WORST about marketing in stores and on TV, but not on the web site. This plan is nowhere to be found at Cingular.com, but the brocure is readily avalable in the stores.
    Last edited by taylorh; 05/10/2005 at 12:13 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  15. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bram
    Options (if there still are any), would really be appreciated. Thanks.
    Would a second phone be an option? I have a friend who kept his old phone to have the per second billing that isn't offered anymore, the new phone just has a basic plan for extra coverage or something.