1.    #1  
    Well, I'm using an AT&T (now Cingular) Blackberry. GPRS data on the Blackberry works as expected. However, I want to use the SIM in my unlocked Treo 650 GSM (which I currently happen to use with Cingular).

So, I tried swapping the AT&T-branded SIM card into my Treo. The phone worked perfectly, but the GPRS/EDGE data doesn't connect. I've tried adding ATT GPRS network setting into the phone (every thing blank except for the APN, which is the work "proxy"), but that didn't help either.

When calling Cingular, their tech people said that the "formerly known as AT&T" account was data-provisioned for the Blackberry, and probably won't work on a Treo unless the account is "re-provisioned". They even said that using a CSD account wouldn't work (which is akin to just dialing into a modem, right?!). Cingular makes me so mad.

SO, are they clueless - is what I want to do "unsupported" but possible? Does anyone know a way to do this, perhaps via alternate network settings?
    any sim from any carrier or device will work in an unlocked 650.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
    The problem you are having is blackberries have a different plan and you must have them switch it and program the sim ota.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
    Darn - so there is definately no way to use the sim between the GSM Blackberry and the unlocked GSM Treo?

It's so frustrating to see the GPRS icon functioning on the Blackberry and not be able to get it to work on the Treo. I thought for sure if we had the correct network settings it would work...
    Thats kind of interesting since I transferred my SIM card from my RIM 7230 to my Treo 600 without any problems in data nor voice. Now if you are transferring a SIM for the FIRST time to a BB, then you will have to call into your service provider to use BB. I can say this worked using TMobile, so I cant vouch this will work for other carriers.
    Last edited by IceMike; 05/05/2005 at 01:12 PM.
    You never lived until you almost died!
  6.    #6  
    So using TMo, you had no problem moving the sim from a Blackberry to a Treo? But that you need to call if you transfer a sim from the Treo to a Blackberry?

I'm trying to do the former with Cingular, and it definitely doesn't work...yet. The ATT Sim does not create the automatic network profile to connect to the ATT (or Cingular) GPRS network, nor does creating an ATT network profile manually seem to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcc
    So using TMo, you had no problem moving the sim from a Blackberry to a Treo? But that you need to call if you transfer a sim from the Treo to a Blackberry?

I'm trying to do the former with Cingular, and it definitely doesn't work...yet. The ATT Sim does not create the automatic network profile to connect to the ATT (or Cingular) GPRS network, nor does creating an ATT network profile manually seem to work.
    For some unknown reason, Blackberry's using TMobile network need to register the IMEI number before accessing the network. Maybe this is a security feature...maybe not. Once the BB is registered to the network, TMO has ALOT of networks to choose from even though BB automatically recognizes the first available one. I did try something interesting too. I dropped the Blackberry service from my account to select T-Zones and the phone worked perfectly fine on GPRS network. I just cant see paying $20 or more just to have access to a Blackberry email address.
  8.    #8  
    After you dropped the Blackberry service from your account to select T-Zones, do you mean that the BB still worked perfectly for data?
    Still worked perfectly fine for data.
    I had the opposite issue. I had my Treo 650 and I got a BB 7290 to compare via my company. ATT/Cingular had to update the SIM card for it to work in my BB. Once I decided to not keep the BB ( that took all of a day! ) I had to have ATT switch the SIM card back to the data plan for the Treo 650. As you said the phone worked in both b ut the data plans are totally different.
    The problem may lie within the SIM card itself too. Last year, I bought a color sidekick from TMobile, but couldnt connect to data services because I had an incompatible SIM card. The SIM card that I put into the phone was from my original phone when I first signed up with TMobile (1999). I had exchanged my SIM card with a new one and the sidekick recognized the network immediately. I like TMO just because I have never have any problems when I switch from phone to phone. And to make matters even better, I switch phones and add/remove services straight thru their website.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I think the only way you could possibly do this would be to have the carrier provision you for multiple plans. T-Mobile does this for me in a sense, I have both Tzones and T-Mobile VPN. However, in the case of a Blackberry and Treo, you would have to pay for both plans. That's alot for the convenience.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680